Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mercenary's Taylor armour just received Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 27 Oct, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Mercenary's Taylor armour just received         Reply with quote

Here is a copy of the E-Mail I just sent to Allan Senefelder and Cc to Gordon Frye commenting and asking a few questions about armour I just received. Great customer service as usual by the way.

Allan;

Just got the shipment: First impressions, I love everything.

I'm tired so I will just hit highlights:

Prato Helm: The surprising thing is how pointy the top of the Helm is, this is not obvious in the Picts on the site. This is a " good " point ( Bad pun I couldn't resist ) from a design deflecting blows point of view and it just looks cool.

The finish is a bit rough but I think this is intentional as a munitions lets just go out and fight helm and not as a parade piece. In this case it just makes the Helm look more business like.

The ear flaps fall perfectly and don't interfere with head movement in the slightest and give protection from horizontal cuts that wouldn't be intercepted by the rim of the Helm. From a practical point of view this is my most comfortable Helm as well as the one giving me the most protection compatible with maximum situational awareness. If I add a coif and the Gorget the level of protection is impressive.

Gorget: Love it also but I have a question about using it with the B & B plate and coif. Would the Gorget go on first with the B & B plate over ? Or could the Gorget be used over the B & B plate as it does look rather neat one does not want to hide it. Under it would be more effective in preventing a lance or sword blade from slipping between breast plate and Gorget.

With the Plackard the question does not apply and the combination of Gorget and Plackard over Hauberk would not leave much more exposed than with the B & B plate except for back coverage being less good.

Would the Coif & it's wide mantle work best over the Gorget or would it sometimes be used under the Gorget ?

Wisby Gauntlets: HMMMMMMMMMM " Tasty Gauntlet sexiness " Predatory / reptilian niceness. Oh, really good punching out the foe potential there. Not the gloves you would want the " King " to use to give you that buffet when making you a Knight ! Could loose many teeth ................... LOL.

Oh, did I say that I love everything !

The Spaulders are really nice to look at: Almost like having Dragon scales !

Gordon these are a good and inexpensive alternate to Pauldrons and maybe more flexible ? For period use the Pauldrons might be the better choice as the Spaulders are more 14th century.

Cheers.
Jean

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Jean. But, Sad where are the pictures?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve;

May be pictures eventually but I haven't bought that digital camera yet. Eek! Blush

Oh, I still appreciate all the advice I got about what to buy when I posted a topic on this a few months back. ( Will use that advice when I buy one. )

My available spending money is STRONGLY attracted by IRON and like a super magnet all that cash was torn out off my hand in spite of all my attempts to spend it on a digital camera. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: New Armor         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

WOW! Congratulations, you must be elated! Were you a long time waiting for this armor? For the next few months I am in a dry spell, can't buy anything, just simply cannot afford anything right now and I also have an agreement with my wife, no more purchasing until next year. By then, things will have loosened up and I will be able to start buying some very fine production swords from Arms & Armor, namely the Edward III and the Black Prince.
High end production swords are what I can afford at this point in my life. Nonetheless, I am extremely HAPPY for YOU, I bet you have been looking forward to getting this armor for quiate a long time. Just do me one favor, in that my being someone who has to stay with the high end production swords, ENJOY the armor! Have a lot of fun with it, I can only imagine how thrilled you must be right now and I think it is great that you spent some of your hard earned money on something so nice for yourself! We only live once my friend, the heck with the people that do not understand, we understand, I certainly understand and it is money well spent!
This armor must give you a deep joy, bone deep, spiritual, a bliss you can feel in your bones. Get some pictures of yourself in your new armor and post them so I and we can partake in the happiness of your newly acquired splendid armor! Wear it in good health and ENJOY it!

I am indeed VERY HAPPY for you!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Jean!

Happy Collecting!

Bob
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bob: The armour was ordered only a few weeks ago from Mercenary's Taylor. They make " munitions type armour that is very functional but isn't finished to a high polish and it's not something you should buy if you are looking for armour fit for a Prince. It all depends on your expectations: For me it's excellent armour that you could use without worrying to much about dings or scratches it fits very well for a one size fits all type of armour.

http://www.merctailor.com/index.php

Some of the people into real Jousting here seem to like it a lot and a few don't because they want that perfect fit or perfect finish.

I mostly just admire the armour and try it on occasionally as I don't actually practice any real fighting at the moment, but if I did I wouldn't worry about it falling apart as it's solid stuff.

I'm not sure how much a top of the line full plate armour would cost but $5000 to $25,000 would probably cover the range of what to expect.

Have a look at Valentine Armoury's stuff also and don't forget to use the Links on this site accessible at the top of the home page to go explore numerous other resources for arms and armour. ( When new to the site one sometimes fails to notice these. ) http://www.varmouries.com/

I have a lot of Allan's armour and his customer service is AAAA+. At this point the only thing not covered by armour would be my feet if I put everything together at the same time.

I also have a Norman Nasal Helm, 3 types of Barrel Helms, Cervelière, Bascinet, Eyeslot Kettle hat and the Prato Kettle hat.

A full size Hauberk ( Riveted ), a shorter butted mail shirt and coif ( Stainless ), Gambison etc .........

By mixing and matching I can "play " from the Dark Ages to mid 15th century in general look. ( I'm not obsessed by 100% historical period accuracy but try to avoid using wildly incompatible stuff. )

As opposed to waiting months or years for custom armour this stuff is available of the shelf and quickly.

Again I'm very happy with it because it fill my needs and expectations and I didn't go broke buying it, maybe a couple of thousand over this last year for 95% full armour coverage.

Oh, Bob, I do appreciate your enthusiasm.Big Grin Cool

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

well were are your pics in this armour man? hehehe we wanta see Wink
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...http://www.merctailor.com/index.php

Jean - Thanks for the link. I was not aware that Allan had his own site, separate from Albion's. I note that the list of goods offered at Allan's own site is NOT the same as that available thru Albion. For example, I note that Albion lists the Spectacle Helm, but Allan's site does not.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
...Allan's ... customer service is AAAA+....

Absolutely! I have one of Allan's Anglo-Saxon Helms, and can vouch for his service, as well as the quality of the workmanship. That helm is very stout!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry Chuck as I mentioned in a previous post I still have to buy a Digital camera: I have to " pause " my buying new armour or swords for at least a month and put that camera at the TOP of the priority list. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Steve: The Spectacle Helm is in redesign at the moment to make it " COOLER ", Allan seems to be very busy currently and hasn't had the time to design new stuff and add it to his product line.

The Picts on his own site is more up to date and many of the Picts are much better quality and at more angles.

Allan was late one day sending me the last order and sent it off to me at ZERO shipping charges: Now what is even more outstanding is that I wouldn't even have known that he was, according to HIS schedule, late ! Cool Cool Cool

And this is not the first time that he has surprised me by going above and beyond the best customer serviced one could expect ! ( I hope I'm not going to embarrass him too much if he reads this or raise expectations too high for mere mortals to live up to. Eek! Laughing Out Loud )

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really great Jean, sounds like you will have a lot of fun with your armor. Probably going to practice a lot of swordsmanship in your armor I would guess. Like Patrick was telling me, it is a whole different ballgame practicing swordsmanship while in armor. One of these days I will acquire some mail and armor, somewhere in the price range that you stayed in, unless I win the lottery or something. Though it is always great to see someone all spiffed up in elite custom armor, I love seeing that and it is great to see that the guys who can afford that level of armor, do in fact buy it and wear it. It is a beautiful sight to behold and I do not at all in the least envy them, though I do APPLAUD them! Money well spent on the greatest obsession in the world! Our history, our heritage and the pride to represent that, is something to admire!

When I see someone spiffed up in fine custom armor at the faire, I do not say, "gee I wish I had that", I say "WOW that guy looks great, look at the awesome armor, that is kick butt"! And I tell them so.

Great to see people taking pride in this hobby and not holding back money to buy the best they can afford, I love to see that!

Happy Collecting!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mercenary's Taylor armour just received
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic