Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Miner's Axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Miner's Axe         Reply with quote

While browsing the Merc.'s Tailor site, I happened upon this lovely implement of war in their Originals section. They describe it thus
Quote:
This type of fighting axe would come to be known as a miner's axe due to its resemblance to the mining implement and it use in a highly decorated form in the late 16th and 17th centuries as a symbol of the mining guilds. This later 15th or early 16th century fighting example has seen some use. The very tip of the blade (perhaps 1/4 inch) is broken off.

I like the look of this axe, and find its method of construction particularly interesting (with the ring-like socket welded on after the blade had been thoroughly close to finished) but found the small socket a strange attribute. Can anyone tell me much of anything about axes of this type, or if that short eye socket would be effective in battle? I love the weapon, and would even go so far as to attempt one of my own if I can get forge welding down to the point of unconscious skill.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex , the socket is actually a broad teardrop shape. Its a pretty good sized opening. I'll get a ruler out and measure it this week for you. I'm afraid I don't know the complete history of this axe type but most working (fighting) examples i've encountered have been very late 15th century forward. The pieces i've seen at auctions/shows ect. both figthing and ceremonial have all been German or with German attributation. Maybe some one here has a little more info they can put forward on the history of these axes. I agree with you however something about the shape of the blade gives it a very agressive character. Oh all examples i've seen have longer hafts so they could be used two handed and I think a while back MRL used to make one of these(perhaps the newely joined Hank Reinhardt can verify this. Welcome aboard sir).
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex theres pics of three of these axes in the anitque weapons and armour album under the hafted weapons heading you can take a look at.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Miner's Axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic