Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Reeve arrives. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 13 Nov, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Cooksey wrote:
Among the swords that I want to possess, a "simple" Type X is high on the list (right after a really good qama).

Since I own four swords that are of Type X classification I obviously like them. Big Grin

In addition to the pictured Reeve and Jarl......................

Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I'm glad you don't have room for a Jabberwock in there... Wink

Oh, I'm quite sure there is one lurking just in the shadows behind the camera somewhere, LOL.

Patrick, I like the changes but I think you are just about out of room there buddy. Too bad the camera can't pick up the true colors on the walls, as a bit of the atmosphere is left out.

As a side note, Patrick was kind enough to allow me to handle this sword on Friday. Have to admit that to me it had an odd feeling to it. I honestly thought it was heavier than his "BigJ"! Though it is shorter and thinner, it has a feel that is hard to describe. Perhaps it was the short grip (I have large hands and found that not really to my liking), or as Patrick mentioned, the balance is just different, and maybe it merely has a certain blade "presence". I didn't dislike the sword by any means, and I definitely wouldn't turn one down, but I can tell that I would not have made a good Viking with that short grip style. If I were a more experienced sword handler, it could make a huge difference in knowing how to feel the blade. I will say that it does feel like it could put a serious hurt if used in the intended method of the time, and the fit and finish are marvelous to this untrained eye. Just my ramblings on what I'm sure will be a pleasurable sword to many people.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
Have to admit that to me it had an odd feeling to it. I honestly thought it was heavier than his "BigJ"! Though it is shorter and thinner, it has a feel that is hard to describe. Perhaps it was the short grip (I have large hands and found that not really to my liking), or as Patrick mentioned, the balance is just different, and maybe it merely has a certain blade "presence".

Albion lists the Reeve at 2 pounds 6 ounces whereas the "Big J" weighs in at 3 pounds 1 ounce.

Greg brings up an interesting observation. The Reeves grip is a bit shorter than some of Albion's later-period designs like the Knight and the Poitiers (which is currently here for review curtesy of Greyson Brown). However, it does have the same grip length as the Jarl. When combined with the straight guard and the brazil-nut pommel this gives the hilt a very compact feel when you grip it in a hammer grip. Your hand is really locked in between the guard and pommel and I don't think that's a bad feeling. When palmed in a handshake style of grip the pommel's design makes gripping the sword quite comfortable.

It does have a different feel than the "Big J" even though they're the same type of sword. The "Big J" is a bit larger overall and this includes the grip. BJ's grip is both longer and thicker than the Reeve's. This may give Greg a better sense of security when gripping the sword, and if his grip feels more secure the sword probably feels a bit lighter as well. It's really just a matter of technique and perspective. When the Reeve is gripped with the handshake method the pommel rides well up into the palm and I find that it has a very secure feel. While any cutting dedicated sword has to have a bit of blade presence to be effective, I find the Reeve to be very light and responsive when compared to other replicas of similar design.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In order to preserve both discussions, posts concerning my choice of room decor have been moved to their own thread.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Reeve arrives.
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: