Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seeking Recommendations for a Khukuri Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Seeking Recommendations for a Khukuri         Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting myself a Khukuri for Christmas this year; I find them interesting and I can afford one. I've been looking at Himalayan Imports and Nepalese Khukuri House; I've seen good reports on both. Do any of you have any recommendations of one versus the other? Also, do any of you have preferences as to the type/style of Khukuri?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I purchased a WWI model from Khukri House and was very pleased with the product and the service.
John Cooksey

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have heard good things about the Khukuri House khuks, but have never owned one or seen one in person
The HI khuks are, in my opinion, first rate.
All the ones that I have handled or owned have been extremely well-made.
My personal favorite (right now!) is the 18 inch Chitlangi. Maybe I just like it the best because it is a dui chirra (double-fullered) blade . . . . It also has some lovely engraving and gold-colored inlay on the blade.
I don't know if it makes any difference, but all the HI blades are signed/marked by the kamis who made them, whereas I have heard that the KH blades are not . . . . . .

I think my next blade purchase may be the 25 inch Kumar Kobra from HI . . . . . . I could put it to good use as a poor man's kopis.

Whatever kind of khuk you end up getting, tell us all about it!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll second the recommendation for HI not because I have heard anything bad about Khukri house (I've heard nothing but positives) The two HI Khuks that I've had in my care were top notch, very well made etc. etc. Additionally, the folks that run HI (I guess it's just Yangdu (spelling?) since Uncle Bill died) have really gone out of their way to not only provide an excellent product at a great price to the United States market but also to provide a decent living for people making Kuhkris in the traditional manner in Nepal.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got mine through Khukri House. Great product, great service. Their site advertised delivery in 5 days. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it was a year ago. In any case, my frist reaction was 'yeah, right'. But like they promised, exactly 5 days later, there it was.

I've also heard nothing but great things about HI, so I'm guessing you can't go wrong either way. Or, if money permits, get one from each. It would make a nice report, side by side comparison.
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: kukris         Reply with quote

I've been collecting and using them since I was sixteen. I can give you some good advice, but I need to know what you want to do with it, and what you want to spend. You can buy original oldies, fancy ones, plain ones, modern ones, modern ones made in Nepal, you name it. I would warn you, having spent time in Nepal, that many of the ones you will find are horribly over priced. Like $250.00 for one that the importer pays about 15.00 including shipping. I was in that business and know. Have about 20 myself. Don't have them all displayed any more. I designed one for Blackjack Knives, sold pretty well, but he went under before I got paid....oh well. Hank
Hank Reinhardt
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for the input; much appreciated. I'm leaning towards purchasing from one of the two Khukuri Houses or Himalayan Imports. I definitely don't want to spend a large amount of money, especially since it seems you can get something of very good quality for a decent price. As far as what I'm looking for, I think I'm leaning for something a little closer to the self defense end (practicing on light to moderate targets) versus an ax/prybar substitute. Happy The Sirupate style was one that intrigued me. I think I'd like to find something in a 15" blade as well, unless someone has a good reason to consider the more standard (10") or go up to an 18" blade. If I can get something of good quality for a decent price, I may pick up a couple for my two sons as well.

Hank, I would be grateful for any insight you could provide.

Mark

PS: I will post pictures and give a (newbs point of view) review once I get it. Though we'll all have to wait until Christmas Wink

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Taylor wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the input; much appreciated. I'm leaning towards purchasing from one of the two Khukuri Houses or Himalayan Imports. I definitely don't want to spend a large amount of money, especially since it seems you can get something of very good quality for a decent price. As far as what I'm looking for, I think I'm leaning for something a little closer to the self defense end (practicing on light to moderate targets) versus an ax/prybar substitute. Happy The Sirupate style was one that intrigued me. I think I'd like to find something in a 15" blade as well, unless someone has a good reason to consider the more standard (10") or go up to an 18" blade. If I can get something of good quality for a decent price, I may pick up a couple for my two sons as well.

Hank, I would be grateful for any insight you could provide.

Mark

PS: I will post pictures and give a (newbs point of view) review once I get it. Though we'll all have to wait until Christmas Wink

Mr Taylor
I purchased a 15" bladed sirupate from KH. They did it with about 10 degrees less of a kink in the blade at my request. Service was quick, price was very low and I've been using it for pruning with no problems for a while now. The by knife and sharpener were nothing to write home about, but they were not bad and I didn't really have much use for them anyway. The sirupate itself was strongly made and to my eyes very appealing, although a perfectionist may have been more worried about the obviously hand made aspect to some of the details. I think it must be one of the best value articles of any type that I've ever bought.
Geoff Wood
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Kukri         Reply with quote

If you want an old one, Atlanta Cutlery has some straight from the Nepal armoury. Some of these are pretty large war kukris. They also have some WWI and WWII kukris. If you want one for use and self defense I think the best available is from Cold Steel. If you chose a Cold Steel Kukri, do not get the one (and their names escape me now) that has the belly. It is too curved, and can skate when you;re cutting somethings. About a 13-14 inch blade is the best size. You can cut down trees, skin a dseer, dig a hole and flip hamburgers with it. I had some fun with an article I wrote for BLADE, and cut up a chicken and made a "Combat Salad" with my kukri. The best buy is the standard Indian army isssue from Atlanta Cutlery. Its cheap, tough as hell, but also ugly and will need to be sharpened. But if you lose it, you're not out of a lot of money. KH has some very high prices, and I know what they pay for their stuff, and in my opinion, they're just the run of the mill tourist stuff you can find all over Kathmandu. Check out the prices and let me know> I might can get a better deal, since I know all of these people. Best, Hank PS The Sirupati looks good, but the others cut better.
Hank Reinhardt
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have 2 from Cold Steel: One is of 1/8" thick steel and has some sort of durable painted coating it is rounded and may be the one Hank was recommending to avoid. ( Too light, same thichness / no distal taper, sort of a machete with delusions of being a Kukri. )

The other one is made of their carbon V and is of 5/16" stock and has distal taper, probably much more expensive than the real ones already recommended. Also a Kydex sheath is available. Air popping scary sharp. Oh, the outline of this one does not have the exagerately rounded belly and looks like a real kukris. The handle is also Kraton rubber and not wood or horn.

I have one of the early ones, I think they are all coated black now.

After some hand polishing I did one of my lemon juice antiquing jobs on it that produced a " faux " damascus finish on it that completely hides the modern coarse grinder marks it originally had.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 21 Nov, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Knew I had a picture of that HI Khukri I used to own about someplace... it was later used as a prize in a contest and went to Mr. Glen Cleaton...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Fri 25 Nov, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I've been doing some additional looking and comparing on my own and am in the process of writing a (short) summation and some additional questions. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Mark

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Seeking Recommendations for a Khukuri
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic