throated hooking shields?
I can't help but smirk when I come across the throated hooking shields in the Talhoffer plates. These things are crazy looking. Being a novice researcher, I have never seen anything quite like these before, . I guess my question is, does anyone have any pictures (museum or reproduction) or info on these defensive oddballs. Thanks
There is something simillar in Paulus Hector Mairs fechtbuch too.

Martin
Martin Wallgren wrote:
There is something simillar in Paulus Hector Mairs fechtbuch too.

Martin

And in Codex Wallerstein, too.

I actually find these things really cool. They strike me as incredibly effective one on one combat tools: The advantages of a shield, staff, spear and hooked pole arm all in one. Like a medieval amoury's Frankenstein. :) I once saw a short clip online of some fellows who'd made reproductions and were sparring with them... I've got to say, those are brave guys. I can't possibly think of how to do that with any degree of safety!
Aren't those primairly used as dueling shields? They're not designed for field combat use are they?
That's what I understand Eric. The ones in Talhoffer, at least, look a bit too unwieldly for use in the field.
Eric Nower wrote:
Aren't those primairly used as dueling shields? They're not designed for field combat use are they?

Well, no one REALLY knows, but it's presumed that, yes, they were meant for duelling only. I don't know of any surviving examples, and aside from the references mentioned above and a few other period images, I don't know of anything else that even mentions them. They appear to be a German thing, too.
I would think that construction would not be much different from the pavises of the period, and there are plenty of those lying around.
hehehe my personal favorite is the shield spike in the guys ehemmm manland ehhehe (YEOUCH)
That plate ( # 169) is funny because the guy on the receiving end of that vicious onslaught looks oddly pleased.
Joshua Reptsik wrote:
That plate ( # 169) is funny because the guy on the receiving end of that vicious onslaught looks oddly pleased.

thank you sir may i have another

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: