Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another DIY Rondel DaggerDIY Project Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Wow, Sean, your pictures make it look so simple! I'm almost tempted to give this a try myself!

You should do it, Bill. For the period you study, a straight cylindrical grip might be more appropriate and using a short bit of off-the-shelf dowelling would shave many hours off of the construction time. In that case, the hardest bit would be creating the channel for the tang. But even that is relatively easy. I find the center of the piece at each end and carefully drill toward the center from each end. This makes the entrance and exit holes perfectly centered even if the channel is slightly wonky in the middle. A couple of small holes alongside the main channel hole at the base of the grip (angled slightly inward to match the profile of the tang) get you to the point where you can start fine-tuning the fit. I typically do the final fitting by inserting the tang into the grip, seeing where it binds and taking off that small amount of wood with the end of the drill bit or using small wooden wedges to push the tang perfectly into place and keep everything tight.

By the way, AC's 12" Arkansas Toothpick would be a reasonable choice to replicate the rondels shown in the Freydal (sp?). Emperor Maximilion is shown sparring with one of these things. It's long, with a diamond section, tapering blade and simple, robust rondels (possibly of brass or bronze or maybe gilded). The problem is finding readymade rondels large enough to work as-is with the width of that larger blade.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean,

Well, it might hurt your shoestring budget (which I think is a really cool part of your projects) but I would think that you could probably get some metal disks made to any diameter you might desire at a local machine shop or better yet local trade school for a fairly inexpensive price. Just a thought...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Well, it might hurt your shoestring budget (which I think is a really cool part of your projects) but I would think that you could probably get some metal disks made to any diameter you might desire at a local machine shop or better yet local trade school for a fairly inexpensive price. Just a thought...

get...made...? ma-chine...shop...?

me no understand

please to talk more slower

Laughing Out Loud

Seriously, it's a good idea and I also need need to invest in a hobby-size lathe, a bench grinder and a drill press setup for my Dremel. There's an unused Shopsmith sitting in my grandmother's garage and I'll adopt that when I get more shop space, but using that thing for my little projects would be like killing flies with a shotgun!

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

me no understand

Laughing Out Loud

LMAO!

I hear you, Sean... I'd rather do it all myself, too.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Seriously, it's a good idea and I also need need to invest in a hobby-size lathe, a bench grinder and a drill press setup for my Dremel.

For the amount of projects you do, I'd point you to Harbor Freight. The tools aren't the highest quality/durability, but I saw a hobbyist's lathe that would be killer for just that type of woodwork for what you are doing - $40!
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Display...umber=3173

As for a bench grinder, that can be had for about the same all day long at your local Home Depot/Lowes or similar...

Don't know how effective the Dremel Press would be, but I know you can get a small dedicated drill press for under $100. I think the Dremel Press is around $50, and it attaches your Dremel to a small stand... for me, the thought's a bit wonky. Of course, there is always the space and convenience issue...

I realize it's not exactly pocket change, but for $200, you could handle all these issues pretty effectively.

Sean Flynt wrote:
There's an unused Shopsmith sitting in my grandmother's garage and I'll adopt that when I get more shop space, but using that thing for my little projects would be like killing flies with a shotgun!

Even that may be an understatement.

Oh, by the way, Sean... like the way this project turned out!

You could certainly go the way of the machine washers, or you could find some junk plate stock lying about somewhere. It wouldn't take forever to cut them out yourself... but then you'd need a saw and perhaps a belt grinder... now we're talking big bucks... like with a comma in it. Been looking at some of these toys here myself lately... can't get past "anvil" right now. Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

LOVE the looks of that lathe! I got my little 25# anvil at HF for around $20 and I'm not sure how I ever got along without it. I didn't even think to check HF for a lathe, but I'll drop by the local store after Christmas. Maybe I'll pick up a grinder then as well. Woo-hoo! Thanks for the tip!
-Sean

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Woo-hoo! Thanks for the tip!

You know I've got your back, bud! There are a lot of neat tools for smaller do-it-yourselfers like us there.

Actually, they have a 6" digital calliper right now for only $10!!!! I picked one up last week not on sale, and I'm more than glad I did. Wicked-cool tool, and at an awesome price!

Sean Flynt wrote:
LOVE the looks of that lathe! I got my little 25# anvil at HF for around $20 and I'm not sure how I ever got along without it.

I almost grabbed one of these lathes myself, but wasn't sure I could pack it back home. There's a HF fairly locally, and I may wind up with one... we'll have to see. I have 3 anvils I picked up at HF - 18, 6, and I think 1 lb. I like them for small work, but now I'm thinking 110 lb or 165 lb Peddinghaus... the other end of the spectrum, but for some mega-intense work, too.

Wonder if Santa will be kind enough to set that monster on the stand...

The forge is already in the works... Wink

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Last edited by Aaron Schnatterly on Fri 02 Dec, 2005 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We're definitely on parallel tracks. I was just looking at my sad old propane grill the other night and thinking, first, "I need a new grill...," and, second, "and a small fan, some aluminum ducting, coal, tongs, a bigger anvil, some thin bar stock..."

And, of course, a new house.

Until then, I'm working with brass and a propane torch to make penannular brooches.

-Sean

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
We're definitely on parallel tracks. I was just looking at my sad old propane grill the other night and thinking, first, "I need a new grill...," and, second, "and a small fan, some aluminum ducting, coal, tongs, a bigger anvil, some thin bar stock..."

We tend to be headed in generally the same direction... always have to be building or tweaking something. You could certainly do with the coal forge, but could make one "on the cheap" out of a small length of scavenged pipe and a couple of feet of Kaowool... and it is much more efficient, too!

Sean Flynt wrote:
And, of course, a new house.

This one I get... totally.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Until then, I'm working with brass and a propane torch to make penannular brooches.

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! NOT THE "B" WORD!!!! Holy crap do I hate working with brass!!! Goes something like this:

tap

tap... tap

anneal

tap-tap

anneal

Stuff work-hardens so fast... WTF?!

I'd love to see pics of what you have done, if you'd like to share! Personally, I've been doing filework on a set of forged buckles for a scabbard today, sitting at my desk here at work. It's been pretty fun, actually... Now that I have finished them, I'm laying out the design for the rest of the scabbard. To put it in Redneck terms... "Hey, y'all! Watch this!" Wink It should be pretty sweet when I am able to work on it. I have a couple in the queue before it, though...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:

me no understand

Laughing Out Loud

Seriously, it's a good idea and I also need need to invest in a hobby-size lathe, a bench grinder and a drill press setup for my Dremel. There's an unused Shopsmith sitting in my grandmother's garage and I'll adopt that when I get more shop space, but using that thing for my little projects would be like killing flies with a shotgun!

Razz Wiseacre... shut up and stuff... Next thing I know you are going to be dremeling out blades...

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Sun 04 Dec, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not really trying to be hardheaded...just copping to my somewhat...uh...primitive shop skills. Big Grin
The only thing I recall from shop class at Auburn Junior High School is that you shouldn't work around table saws with long hair, long sleeves or finger rings. I'm adding to my skills all the time, though, mostly by trial and error.
It's interesting that you mention using a dremel to rough out blade blanks. One of the wonderful Foxfire books has a chapter on knife making. The fellows interviewed make their knives by scoring the shape on a broken saw blade, then putting the saw blade in a vise and breaking out the knife blade with a hammer! So, a Dremel could actually be a huge step up, depending on one's perspective. For now, I'm content to buy blades from AC.

I find brass kind of fun to work with, though it's true that annealing becomes tiresome. The stock I'm working with is so thin that I can quickly get it red hot and drop it in the quench. This makes it so soft that I can work with it for awhile, especially if I hammer slowly. I've noticed that the faster I hammer, the faster it hardens (or at least it seems that way). I'd hate to work with anything much bigger than small jewelry, though. Also on the subject of improvisation--I made an interesting discovery the other day while trying to replicate the decorative pattern on a 7th c. bronze Welsh brooch. The pattern was comprised of tiny ring shapes. A nail set turns out to be perfect for this task.

My next project is a German halberd of ca. 1500. Wheeeeeee!

-Sean

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I'm not really trying to be hardheaded...just copping to my somewhat...uh...primitive shop skills. Big Grin
The only thing I recall from shop class at Auburn Junior High School is that you shouldn't work around table saws with long hair, long sleeves or finger rings. I'm adding to my skills all the time, though, mostly by trial and error.
It's interesting that you mention using a dremel to rough out blade blanks. One of the wonderful Foxfire books has a chapter on knife making. The fellows interviewed make their knives by scoring the shape on a broken saw blade, then putting the saw blade in a vise and breaking out the knife blade with a hammer! So, a Dremel could actually be a huge step up, depending on one's perspective. For now, I'm content to buy blades from AC.

I find brass kind of fun to work with, though it's true that annealing becomes tiresome. The stock I'm working with is so thin that I can quickly get it red hot and drop it in the quench. This makes it so soft that I can work with it for awhile, especially if I hammer slowly. I've noticed that the faster I hammer, the faster it hardens (or at least it seems that way). I'd hate to work with anything much bigger than small jewelry, though. Also on the subject of improvisation--I made an interesting discovery the other day while trying to replicate the decorative pattern on a 7th c. bronze Welsh brooch. The pattern was comprised of tiny ring shapes. A nail set turns out to be perfect for this task.

My next project is a German halberd of ca. 1500. Wheeeeeee!

Ooo haldberd neato! Unfortunately my roncone project this weekend didn't really pass beyond the "reading up on it" stage, to many darned scabbards to finish... sigh maybe during the Christmas holidays.

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I find brass kind of fun to work with, though it's true that annealing becomes tiresome. The stock I'm working with is so thin that I can quickly get it red hot and drop it in the quench. This makes it so soft that I can work with it for awhile, especially if I hammer slowly. I've noticed that the faster I hammer, the faster it hardens (or at least it seems that way). I'd hate to work with anything much bigger than small jewelry, though.

I'll be giving it further attention myself in the future - need to get some other stuff tended to first, but there is promise. I actually hope to branch out well beyond just brass, bronze, and steel... silver and gold hold a lot of appeal for me as well. I'm thinking brooches and torqs, maybe some rings and bracelets, too. Picked up a jeweler's oxy/ac torch yesterday, so I hope to be able to explore some fine soldering and welding very soon.

Sean Flynt wrote:
Also on the subject of improvisation--I made an interesting discovery the other day while trying to replicate the decorative pattern on a 7th c. bronze Welsh brooch. The pattern was comprised of tiny ring shapes. A nail set turns out to be perfect for this task.

Always, always look for another use for the tools you have. I'm not saying use a Crescent wrench for a hammer, but using a nail set as a punch in this fashion is a good idea, and won't be out of line for the tool. I use all kinds of things for little tricks here and there... or make special little tools for particular things like this that I don't have any other way of doing.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another DIY Rondel DaggerDIY Project
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: