Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just a few questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Austin Demshar

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Just a few questions         Reply with quote

I have decided to get a greek spearhead and buttcap for christmas. I have been doing some reading but, I would love to know about others' experience with those types of things (spear length), especially for throwing. That would be appriciated. If there is already a thread about this please pardon me - just like me though. And another quick question as well, what type of wood is the MRL stuff made of mostly, particularly the foot soldiers hammer?

Thanks a bunch!

Austin
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Austin,

I'm not sure of the period you are interested in but, here's some information that might be useful to you.

For the most part, Greek spears were considered a hoplite's primary weapon and they employed their spear as a thrusting weapon. Every effort was made to hang on to the spear to avoid having to face a similary armed opponent without one.

Connolly notes spears found in 6th century graves of lengths between 5 and 8 feet and Macedonian sarissa having lengths of 18 to 21 feet. Different tactics and situations dictated different lengths and methods of use. Several bronze-age spearheads were found in Rhodes which measured about 2 feet in length. That's more like having a short sword attached to the end of your spear! Happy

Javelins were used as a throwing weapon and were typically much lighter. Peltast javelins ranged in sizes of about 3.5 to 5 feet in length.

Best of luck with your spear or javelin and be sure to let us know what you've added to your collection.

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Austin Demshar

PostPosted: Sun 11 Dec, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Matt !
I will get a greek spearhead and buttcap and use a 5 ft. Ash pole similar to my halberd and it will most likely come out around (6 1/2 feet).

Thanks and Ill let you know when i finish it!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Just a few questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic