Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Viking" Kit Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Johan S. Moen wrote:
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Pinning the head to the shaft was a common practice historically.

What I wonder is, from when? I've seen quite a lot of pinned heads from 1100 A.D and upwards, but few before 1000 A.D. I suppose it depends on the size of the socket and the haft. My spearhead is quite small, best suited for stabbing, and the shaft is quite thin.

Does anyone have any sources for pinned spearheads during the migration/viking era?

Johan Schubert Moen

Well... Out of boredom, I walked the 40 meters from the university cafeteria over to the historic museum to have a look...
They have a small but nice collection of viking swords and spearheads.

Most of these had holes for pins. One of them even had four.

As for shaft thickness, most of them where about 2 cm... I believe the sticks they where displayed on where 25mm, and most of them had been sharpened to fit the spearheads

They do however have one hewing spear head, which had a roughly 3 cm opening, more like we are familiar with from reenactment spears.

The axes also varied greatly in shaft size. Some had pretty decent shaft holes, other very narrow ones, to be fitted on narrow shafts.

I guess the objections to pinning the spearheads in place are modern metal-smith's common sense.
Another major argument is that a glued spearhead can be a living hell to get of the stick if it breaks. A friend of mine once spent hours carving the remains of his 38 mm glaive shaft out of the socket...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 15 Dec, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Errg...glue/adhesive is out of the picture. I'm getting a whole lot of metal-working stuff (for jewelry and such mostly, but nevertheless), so I can drill holes in pretty much anything, not to mention the lathe-grinder...knives anyone? Big Grin
So I guess 2 holes on each side, at 25 mm diameter. Thanks!
Johan S. Moen

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have used both glue and tar on my spear. When the shaft breaks, I just take an electrical drill and jab it inside the socket... If you get the middle of the shaft away, you can pry loose the rest.

Johan Schubert Moen

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Viking" Kit
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: