Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Maintz Gladius Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Albion Maintz Gladius         Reply with quote

I went over to Kult of Athena yesterday and got to see and handle the Maintz Gladius for the first time, I have handled several different Roman Gladius swords, but nothing I have come across so far can compare to this fearsome Gladius by Albion.
Just to let you know this gorgeous sword is hangine on the wall over there with several other Albion swords, among those are the Berserker and the Thegn. http://kultofathena.com/s_results.asp?search=albion

I was more than a little impressed with this Maintz, might be a little more expensive than the same kind of sword from other companies, but when you get down to true quality, these others fall way way short of this beast by Albion!

I Salute My Fellow Collectors
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I had mentioned in other posts, I got to play with all three of Albion's new Gladii, and all three were both quite attractive and viciously adept at their purpose. Too bad I didn't get the opportunity to do any test cutting with them.

Peter nailed these with his research and design, and the guys in the shop have done an equally impressive job of grinding and fitting them.

Now, to see the Spathas!!! Big Grin They'll be around sometime next year...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

I noticed that you hadn't posted for a couple of days and half wondered if you might have set up tent over at Kult of Athena and stayed for a few day Laughing Out Loud Congrats on the opportunity to handle so many great swords, you are one lucky fella.

I noticed on the K of A website that they have a Windlass Mainz in stock as well. Obviously the Windlass isn't going to compare to the Albion, but if you did happen to handle the Windlass piece, what were your impressions?

Thanks,

Kenton
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Maintz Gladius         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Just to let you know this gorgeous sword is hangine on the wall over there with several other Albion swords, among those are the Berserker and the Thegn. http://kultofathena.com/s_results.asp?search=albion

So you did end up buying the Thegn? Good for you!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Albion Maintz Gladius         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Bob Burns wrote:

So you did end up buying the Thegn? Good for you!

I'm not sure that's what Bob said.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I got a great laugh from your comment about the tent Kenton, sure, next time I stop by I will check on that Windlass Maintz for you, in fact I wrote myself a note.

Addison, I sure wish I could buy the Thegn, it is definitely on the agenda, but my first priority is to get the Edward III Sword by Arms & Armor.

Oh, just as a reminder, the Albions listed "In Stock", well they are there hanging on the wall in pristine condition waiting for a home.

Did I pitch a tent at Kult of Athena? LOL, I am still cracking up over that one! All I can say is, I wish I had the funds to feed my sword hunger! But, then again, if they were that easy to collect, how much would I then appreciate them?

Kenton, thanks for the laughs and I will make a point in checking on that sword for you buddy!

Again, I Salute My Fellow Collectors and that is the meaning of the picture that I selected on my profile, it is a salute to all you good people who share this passion!

Bob
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
What we obtain too cheap we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. - Tom Paine

For those savings accounts about to die, we salute you.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob you should allpy for a second job at KoA. I have a buddy who works part time at a gun store just for the discounts. Cool
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ya know, that is not a bad idea Gavin, incidently I am also a gun owner, I have 3 and my wife has one, given the choice of the two, I think she is a whole lot happier I decided to collect swords instead. The cost of fine firearms can get very expensive, especially when you start getting into Kimber Arms, Sig Saur and that level. But actually, guns just don't do what swords and medieval weapons and history does for me, I don't know how to explain it but I am sure you understand but to those that are not into swords, there is no explaining it.

That really is not a bad idea at all and Kult of Athena is only 17 and a half miles from my house.

Definitely a thought.

Bob
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

bob you're funny!! trying to catch upon the forums after retiring and then being without a computer for months and have read many posts and i see you're 171/2 miles from the store! you must be very excited because i've read it many times a lot now...........
Bob you're in chicago? I'm here too and would love to meet up at Kult of Athena and talk swords some day if you're interested
I have not visited their websight yet so I don't know what they offer but it would be nice to meet follow locals who like to talk swords so let me know!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Adam, that would be a blast! Yeah I kind of mentioned it a lot to make sure everyone knew I was close, in case they wanted me to take a look at something for them. A bit over kill in reflection, but at least everyone knows and all they gotta do is email me. So far I have Kenton down to look at the Windlass Maintz Gladius for him.
Yeah, having just found this place a month ago, WOW did my head go "Tilt"! LOL. Wife and I were there the following Saturday afternoon. LOL.

Yep, I am in hog heaven, but no money to spend right now.

I am always glad to give people some "mileage" (fuel for laughter)! Laughter is good for the body, mind and spirit!

Grins!

Bob
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I noticed on the K of A website that they have a Windlass Mainz in stock as well. Obviously the Windlass isn't going to compare to the Albion, but if you did happen to handle the Windlass piece, what were your impressions?

Thanks,

Kenton[/quote]

I checked out the Windlass Maintz Gladius on 12/16. I was not at all impressed with it, so many cheap components on it (scabbard included), the handle on the hilt looks like plastic to me, the brass pieces on the scabbard look to be plating of a cheap metal. I personally would not give this sword any consideration whatsoever especially for the price. I did not like the balance of it either, I'll be honest, I asked to see it, gave it an initial look over, disliked so much about it that I did not spend much time at all evaluating it. Now I have the Windlass Coustile and wife has the Windlass Sword Hilted Medieval Dagger, these are both very nice for the money. But personally, there was not one thing about the sword in question that I liked.

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me if you like.

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Maintz Gladius
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic