Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spreading Some Help to a New Sword Enthusiast Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Spreading Some Help to a New Sword Enthusiast         Reply with quote

I would like to tell a short and nice story that made me feel good in knowing I helped a guy out. I was at a sword distributor near me today buying myself a Paul Chen Sir William Marshall Sword with Christmas money that had been sent to us, wife and I split it and added a bit to afford each of us a tad over $200, well of course I had to get something medieval.
While I was there, a couple in their early mid thirties came into the store, the guy surveyed the store and as what is quite common, he avoided the Albions and the Hanwei Katanas, that's when I asked the proprietor if I could handle some of the Albions, as I always like to handle the Albions whenever I go there. I picked out the Thegn and played with it a bit and made a few comments to the owner about how this sword makes me feel pleasure deep in my bones and how it was worth every dime, even though it was a tad under $800.00. At this time, the other fellow is over looking at some inexpensive Roman swords, that's when I asked the owner if he still had the Albion Maintz Gladius in stock and could I see it? By this time I had intentionally inadvertantly attracted this fellow's attention and he started asking some questions about why the Albions were so much more expensive. I kept it short so as to not say the wrong thing but I pointed out the perfection of geometry, how the balance of their swords were so properly balanced for each one's individual purpose, be it a thruster or a cutter etc and how each should be balanced accordingly. I talked about how clean the lines of the Albions were, how well the crossguard fit to the blade etc etc. I told him that the sword I was buying was like a "Buick" but that I had several swords by Arms & Armor and how they are high end like Albion. I told him that the Thegn he had in his hand was nothing like my "Buick" sword and that he was holding a Mercedes Benz or a Lexus in his hand.

When I left, he seemed more interested and a bit excited while he studied the Albion Thegn in his right hand and the Albion Maintz Gladius in his left and, wished me happy holidays and thanked me for spending the time with him.

Spiritually, this all felt really good to me and I was more happy for him having discovered the value of an Albion or an A & A, than I was about my Sir William Marshall Sword. It really made my day, as I had been a bit stressed out from a rather arduous day.

Wishing a Wonderful Holiday Season to Everyone!

Bob
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's great! I wish there were some sword shops around me...

Not to derail the topic, but are the Paul Chen swords, in specific the Godfred Viking Sword, any good? I came across them online and wasn't really sure.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 16 Dec, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:

Not to derail the topic, but are the Paul Chen swords, in specific the Godfred Viking Sword, any good? I came across them online and wasn't really sure.

In my opinion, yes, for the price I am impressed with Paul Chen swords, but I would not compare a Paul Chen Viking Sword to an Albion Viking Sword! However, in that price range, yes your getting a very nice sword for the money spent. I have handled the Godfred sword a few times and my answer to this would be, if I could not afford an Albion but I wanted a viking sword really bad, the Paul Chen Viking Sword would be my first and probably only consideration. By the way, I love their katanas! Especially that Tiger Katana, beautiful water lines from the steel folding process on the blade.

For the price, go for it!

Sincerely,

Bob
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought an identical sword from MRL years ago. They simply called it the Damascus Viking Sword, but they've marketed more than one weapon under that name over the years. It might be the same weapon as the Godfred, or it might just look the same. Either way, I really like mine. It was a nice sword for the price. Certainly my favorite sword of the three that I got from MRL.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

for teh 300+ to 450+ price tag from MRL or other places selling the godfred, i'd look to a del tin or an albion. i have the godfred, and while i like it, its not a very "historical" sword.

the paul chins are nice. the practical series are cool just make sure to get a series 3 or 4 version. i have a generation 1 chin viking sword and had to cut down the grip and repeen the tang, cause mine had no real peen and the pommel fell of. its hollow and was glued on. it also does not do so well against harder bladed weapons. lotsa dings Wink
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Paul Chen "Godfred" is actually what started me down this path. I picked one up in a gift shop/junk store. I was thunderstruck. I didn't know what a distal taper was, but I knew instantly that every other sword I'd picked up prior to that was inherently wrong. Here was a blade that wanted to move, invited the cut. I really wanted to know what the difference was. Took me two years of on and off searching to find out why. Once I figured that out, I also figured out that thas not the only qualifier for a good sword.

Not that its the best sword ever. Its very nice for the price, though I've heard some questions about the tempering of the blade etc. I think the "damascus" is just acid eched, not really pattern welded. I probably would buy one if I had some spare change, and couldn't wait on an A&A or Albion.
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 18 Dec, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Here was a blade that wanted to move, invited the cut.

That's what I liked about it, too. I played with one at a Ren Faire, loved the feel and bought it shortly thereafter. Eveything else I'd handled up to that point was far too blade-heavy by comparison. Not that I'm putting it on the same level as an Albion or A&A, but this was about six years ago. I was still very new to non-Asian swords and I hadn't even heard of those makers at the time. I still consider it the best blade I bought in my youth, even if I've seen far better since.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Spreading Some Help to a New Sword Enthusiast
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic