Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Traditional Bow Makers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Traditional Bow Makers?         Reply with quote

I've been thinking about picking up a traditional bow for some time now -- both for hunting purposes as well as for historical interest. I'm looking for a traditional wood bow -- perhaps a longbow, perhaps a flatbow. The catch is I'm trying to keep it under $200.
Does anyone out there have personal experience with bows that fit this bill? I've seen Rudderbows and Bitter Root Bows suggested before.

Thanks
Brian M
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

u can get red oak flat bows for that price, but dont look for an english long bow d section for under 350. esp if you want a period wood like yew or ash. check out www.ancientarmory.com (not sure of the spelling on anceint or armour here hehehe
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
u can get red oak flat bows for that price, but dont look for an english long bow d section for under 350. esp if you want a period wood like yew or ash. check out www.ancientarmory.com (not sure of the spelling on anceint or armour here hehehe

Chuck, please take the time to check your links before you post them. Having you spend the time to do this is better than having thousands of others each do it.
Thanks.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jan, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't really know bows and I don't have any specific suggestions but I see this magazine on the racks a lot and pick it up from time to time.

http://www.primitivearcher.com

It may help a bit or at least lead to additional resources.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Austin Demshar

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

rudderbows.com

I just got my 100 dollar hickory longbow, and its a great bow as far as look, haven't shot it much yet. Good service too.
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all,

Cabela's usaually has pretty good selection of hunting bows, both long and recurve.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/h...stid=21318

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Dan Crowther

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Primitive Archer is indeed an EXCELLENT source for trad bows and making them. Unfortunately, their online forum is now tied to their mag subscription so I've not been there in a while. Another place to look into is: http://www.3riversarchery.com/

Keep in mind that if $$ is an issue you may want to consider building one yourself. It's not that hard really (I made this one http://www.oakandacorn.com/celticclans/images/archery2.jpg) and I'm a blacksmith not a wood worker. My friend who is a wood worker and has been making bows for only a year, is able to turn out functional and beautiful bows in 6-8 HOURS! That's going from dimensional hard wood (or stave) to shootable and includes making the string.

Dan Crowther - aka Gobae
Historic Strides Blog
Ancient Celtic Clans
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: ..................................         Reply with quote

http://www.horsebows.com/

I've been very happy with my hun. It's a great shooting bow. Very smooth draw.
Joe Fisher

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As Dan said, making your own bows is not rocket science, and a lot of fun. I could recommend some reading if you're interested.

I make mine using as traditional methods as possible. I do use a bandsaw to rough shape the blank. I don't feel too bad about that for 2 reasons: I shaped my first bow with a hatchet and drawknife, and it was pretty brutal Happy Secondly, the real art of making a bow comes in the tillering and final shaping, and that's where I like to feel connected to the bow by using hand tools.

The work is done with a drawknife (a gift to me, forged by Daniel), handplanes, marking tools I made myself, rasps and scrapers.

The strings are made from either hemp or sisal. I do a reverse twisted Flemsish style string, with a fixed loop on one end, and a timber hitch (also known as the bowyer's hitch) on the other. I have not graduated to spinning my own string, yet, but I'm working on it Happy

Here's a photo of me shooting in "The Pharoah," a 55lb draw bow at 28" that I made for a friend. The bow is ash, with an oak riser. You can see the beautiful shape this type of bow makes when drawn. It's known as a pyramid design, and is a flatbow.

If you're interested in making your own, or having me make you one, feel free to PM me.

-Joe

I am an outcast, on the path of no return.
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.ancientarchery.com/ sorry, i was running late for work. maybe should have not posted
Brian M

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys. I saw the ancientarchery site, and while his work looks nice, it's still more than I can spend right now. Right now it looks like Rudderbows is the best bet to buy one, but DIY appeals to me too, especially the cost.
I might have to see if I can find "Primitive Archer" on the newsstand.

Brian M
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you go the DIY route, I highly recommend The Traditional Bowyers Bible series. The first book has great info for working from staves, the second (IIRC) has info about making bows from lumber, and discusses the pyramid design that Joe posted the picture of. You'll want the third book also, just because the first two are so good Happy

I've made several bows with just a drawknife, a rasp, and a file, out of maple, oak, and cherry. Its easier and quicker to make a bow than to make the arrows.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Kevin Toomey

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jan, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you were leaning toward rudderbow, what about a floor tillered stave? There is plenty of DIY and design options left with one of those.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Traditional Bow Makers?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic