Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ArmArt Arrives! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brock H

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: ArmArt Arrives!         Reply with quote

Surprised 50+ months after I ordered it my custom bronze leafblade arrived from ArmArt on Jan. 3! And originally it was only supposed to take 5 months.

Stats: LOA 76.7cm, blade 62.4cm long & 4.5cm wide at 17.5cm from the point, POB 14.5-15cm from the hilt (I wasn't able to measure it real accurately), midrib thickness about 8.5mm next to the hilt, weight 1201g.

The point is sufficiently sharp. It has only the start of edges running 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the way back from the point (I haven't bothered to measure). The decoration is copied from originals and is very well done. There is some very minor pitting on the blade from casting, which I have learned is common with bronze swords. ArmArt did polish the blade, but not quite enough to remove them. I can do that myself if I wish, but I just may leave them. The scabbard fits snugly.

There are a few things not quite right, partly my fault and partly ArmArt's. It is about 3cm overall longer than the longest original shown in my reference. My reference is in Czech and German without a scale accompanying the drawings, so I had to do some guesswork. I wanted a sword on the long side and it's still shorter than a number of other bronze swords, such as a number of the Naue IIs which were primarily cutters. However, if I was going to order it now I'd specify a blade 58-60cm long and 38-42mm wide.

My guesswork was off more regarding the grip length of the handle. It should be around 1cm shorter. As it is now, the sword sits loose in my hand. Because the grip is a bit too long and the handle is not very wide or thick, I can't get a real firm grip on it. The sword could be used if it had to be and putting on a thick leather glove helps. The shorter grip would help more. This would be mostly my fault. I had to guess at the grips of the originals in my reference and I also considered the width of my hand when specifying length to ArmArt. Sure wish I'd been able to try some sample handles with varying grip lengths beforehand. I did originally want one even longer, but Pavel convinced me to go shorter; just not short enough as it turns out.

Where it is the furthest off from historical is in regards to the handle joining the blade. The originals had hollow cast handles that were riveted to the blade, which had about a half length tang extending into the handle. ArmArt cast the handle and blade as one piece. While I had never specified the handle had to be cast seperately and then fitted, I did have the impression that was what was going to be done. This may very well be a miscommunication due to language differences. However, I can't escape a nagging feeling a shortcut was taken to get the job done quicker (after 50 months!) and cheaper.

My reference doesn't give weights for the originals in it (when, oh, when are archaeologists going to learn to record and publish more of this kind of information?). However, I suspect this is on the heavy side. Part of that would be due to the little bit longer blade, the little bit longer handle and the solid rather than hollow handle. Some of the originals did have thicker blades than others, so I can't really say ArmArt made the blade too thick. But it would have been nice if the midrib was 1mm thinner. The original I used for a pattern was one with one of the thinner midribs.

A baldric had been part of my order and there wasn't one in the package. This could be an honest oversight and maybe I should contact Pavel before posting about it here, but frankly I'm not much inclined to give them any more benefit of the doubt. I've been doing that for years.

To sum up. I am pleased with the sword. Not wildly enthusiastic (that would have been if I'd gotten it 3+ years ago), but I am pleased. It is a very beautiful sword and as far as I know no one else is making anything like it. However, I don't feel dealing with ArmArt is worth what I went through.

First picture sword and scabbard.

Attachment: 28.36 KB
ArmArt Leafblade S1.jpg

Brock H

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The handle. It is also decorated along its sides, but none of the pictures I tried to take of that turned out.

Attachment: 61.09 KB
ArmArt Leafblade M1.jpg

Brock H

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The end of the pommel. I don't know why it turned out looking like silver. Now that would be a fancy sword!

Attachment: 55.93 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Brock H on Wed 04 Jan, 2006 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brock H

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The lines incised on the blade don't run all the way to the handle. They run to approx. 17cm back from the point. On the original they also run only a little way back from the point.

Attachment: 77.41 KB
ArmArt Leafblade M3.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you finally got your sword. I'm truly amazed that they're as unprofessional as they are. Please note that you can attach multiple photos to a single post. You're not crippled to just one like you find on SFI and other sites.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Brock,

4 years and 2 + months! On something that was to be 5 months in the waiting, I think you are being very kind in your post! All that time and to have mistakes on it is just plain deserving of derision on their part. Yes indeed, in my opinion you are all too kind, and you are deserving of admiration in your post!

Your sword is beautiful, it is very beautiful, but I can tell from your post that you were looking for some very real historical accuracy that they did not deliver. In my opinion, they should have inquired to you in the areas where there was any question whatsoever in their production of your commission. Thank you so much for your post, I can assure you they will never get an order from me.

You must have the patience of Job, I tell ya Brock, I take my hat off to you Sir and I give you the most enthusiastic sword salute of admiration possible!

Bob
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a beautiful sword. This type and medium are becoming more attractive to me. Having someone post it without the long wait and no personal investment, I'd say it's stunning. Simple, tastefully decorated, and it looks quick.

I must say that in 50 months you could have taught yourself to cast bronze. It seems exceedingly long, for a piece that didn't meet expectations. If it was indeed just the hazards of communication, then caveat emptor. I've looked at foreign language websites, but it makes me nervous buying for that very reason.

There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just finished showing your sword to my wife after telling her about the quagmire of time in waiting, she is extremely intelligent, admires our obsession as being something very noteworthy and worth while as well as a spiritual blessing to have. She said "My God! It's absolutely Gorgeous Bob!"

I had told her how these swords had the hilt riveted to the blade and what they did, she said still it is an extremely beautiful sword! Although she shares my opinion about ArmArt. I had been considering for some time to order one of they're polearms, but now that is not going to happen!

I just finished reading "The Archeology of Weapons" by Ewart Oakeshott several weeks ago, so I am somewhat familiar with the bronze age swords, therefore I can appreciate your dissatisfaction that this was not done on your sword that you waited so very long to receive. Still, it is definitely a showpiece of exceptional beauty and elegance!

Personally, I'd love to hear about your collection, as someone who would commission a memorable piece like this, makes me very desirous to see what else that person has collected as in my opinion you have exceptional taste!

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I had told her how these swords had the hilt riveted to the blade and what they did, she said still it is an extremely beautiful sword! Although she shares my opinion about ArmArt. I had been considering for some time to order one of they're polearms, but now that is not going to happen!

Bob,
Where have you seen ArmArt polearms? They are a custom shop, but I've never heard of them producing poelarms nor have I seen any yet.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I may indeed have that wrong, in the matter of them making polearms. Regardless, I sure would not order anything from them, that's for sure. As far as the polearms, I could well be thinking of another company, I am thinking of the polearms, listed under "New Arms and Armor" in the website of By the Sword.com

Sorry,

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I may indeed have that wrong, in the matter of them making polearms. Regardless, I sure would not order anything from them, that's for sure. As far as the polearms, I could well be thinking of another company, I am thinking of the polearms, listed under "New Arms and Armor" in the website of By the Sword.com

Sorry,

Bob

Bob,
Those aren't the same companies. The ones in that section of the By the Sword website are distributed by Outfit4events.com. I believe they work with several smaller smithies.

To get back to this thread: Brock, congrats. That's a nice sword. I'm glad they finally came through for you. I'm one of the lucky ones who got their ArmArt order only a month or two late, way back when SFI first started that disastrous relationship. Their initial prices were extremely competitive, and I've always enjoyed my ArmArt sword.

I kind of dig bronze swords, and this is one of the nicer ones I've seen in the repro world.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brock H

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, people. It's easier to be patient when you have no choice. I actually did loose it with ArmArt a couple times. I don't know, maybe that helped get it.

Bob, I have recently changed computers and haven't got all my pictures loaded onto the new one yet. I just have a picture of one other sword loaded right now. It's a bronze Naue II from Neil Burridge that I got just a few days before Christmas. Picture below. Standard practice with Neil is to send you the cast sword which you have to clean and polish up and hilt. I've got 6 or 7 of them sitting around right now which I have to finish up. Two of the swords I have from him I did cast when I visited him in England back in Sept. I even helped make the mold for one of them.

I also have two swords and two daggers coming that are copies of ones from the Aegean Bronze Age. I have no fear of lack of historical accuracy with these. Barry Molloy needed some for his PhD research project and he cast extras for those who wanted them in order to help fund his research. So I have no fear that these won't be very exacting as far as accuracy. They will need to be finished, though.

I've found I enjoy filing and polishing the blades. I just put some good music in my CD player and get in the groove. I actually enjoy doing it by hand more than by using power tools. Now if only my wood working skills were up to making decent hilts.

Attachment: 43.77 KB
Bronze Naue II 002.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > ArmArt Arrives!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic