Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL Swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: New MRL Swords         Reply with quote

A few new pieces from MRL.The Trousse is interesting, and only $110. Something about the Italian Falchion I don't care for....Hate the Katzbalger....the two Landsknecht swords leave me kind of cold as well. That new poleaxe is interesting, though.....

Attachment: 33.12 KB
0401720_L_000.jpg

Attachment: 16.9 KB
0500870_D_000.jpg

Attachment: 23.88 KB
0500882_L_000.jpg

Attachment: 34.57 KB
0500878_L_000.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, nice stuff! I particularly like that new katzbalger. Surprised
"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the looks of the Trousse, the katzbalger looks kinda nice IMO. I really don't like the others though.
D. Rosen

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before...I guess its something like a seax...Does anyone have the source for it? The two Landsknecht swords seem kind of fantasy-ish...I'm sure they're based on historical models, but I'm not to fond of them. The katzabalger could have been done so much better. They should have made it look somewhat rough...maybe an aged brown leather scabbard (as opposed to that weird ultra-shiny black leather) with better chape, etc. and a wooden handle. The scabbard I think really takes away from it. I think that they should've maybe used a different shape for the metal scabbard parts rather than their generic scabbard model and used a metal other than brass... The by-knives are always nice though. MRL also has a new pole-ax/halberd for $125 that doesn't look to bad, its kind of short though (68"), and a new three ringed rapier.

[/img]
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Nov, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before.

It looks a whole lot like many of the hunting knives and tools that existed.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
D. Rosen wrote:
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before.

It looks a whole lot like many of the hunting knives and tools that existed.

That was my thought as well.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A trousse is simply a case holding multiple items. For a hunting trousse, it generally had a few knives, a cleaver, some pricks and awls, a fork or two, at least one serrated saw-like blade, sometimes a small hammer, etc. They were used to butcher, clean, and dress the spoils of the hunt.

MRL's offering isn't super compelling to me, but I commend them for putting something like this out there.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 03 Nov, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Rosen wrote:
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before...I guess its something like a seax...Does anyone have the source for it?

Looks pretty much like a hauswehre-type knife, actually. See Plate 42 in Harold Peterson's classic Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World.

Quote:
The two Landsknecht swords seem kind of fantasy-ish...I'm sure they're based on historical models, but I'm not to fond of them. The katzabalger could have been done so much better.

They've offered that specific hilt style before, and I've never been fond of it either. The grip and pommel don't "flow" the way they should in a katzbalger.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jan, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a photo of the historical original that inspires MRL's falchion shown above:

Italian, circa 1600-1610

Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leave it to Nathan to find a picture of the original. Big Grin

Anyway, looks like they got the hilt down pretty nice. Not a perfect replica, but still.... I think I would've like the MRL version a bit more of they had made the blade more like the original too.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL Swords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic