New MRL Swords
A few new pieces from MRL.The Trousse is interesting, and only $110. Something about the Italian Falchion I don't care for....Hate the Katzbalger....the two Landsknecht swords leave me kind of cold as well. That new poleaxe is interesting, though.....

Attachment: 33.12 KB
0401720_L_000.jpg

Attachment: 16.9 KB
0500870_D_000.jpg

Attachment: 23.88 KB
0500882_L_000.jpg

Attachment: 34.57 KB
0500878_L_000.jpg

Hey, nice stuff! I particularly like that new katzbalger. :surprised:
I like the looks of the Trousse, the katzbalger looks kinda nice IMO. I really don't like the others though.
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before...I guess its something like a seax...Does anyone have the source for it? The two Landsknecht swords seem kind of fantasy-ish...I'm sure they're based on historical models, but I'm not to fond of them. The katzabalger could have been done so much better. They should have made it look somewhat rough...maybe an aged brown leather scabbard (as opposed to that weird ultra-shiny black leather) with better chape, etc. and a wooden handle. The scabbard I think really takes away from it. I think that they should've maybe used a different shape for the metal scabbard parts rather than their generic scabbard model and used a metal other than brass... The by-knives are always nice though. MRL also has a new pole-ax/halberd for $125 that doesn't look to bad, its kind of short though (68"), and a new three ringed rapier.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ][/img]
D. Rosen wrote:
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before.

It looks a whole lot like many of the hunting knives and tools that existed.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
D. Rosen wrote:
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before.

It looks a whole lot like many of the hunting knives and tools that existed.

That was my thought as well.
A trousse is simply a case holding multiple items. For a hunting trousse, it generally had a few knives, a cleaver, some pricks and awls, a fork or two, at least one serrated saw-like blade, sometimes a small hammer, etc. They were used to butcher, clean, and dress the spoils of the hunt.

MRL's offering isn't super compelling to me, but I commend them for putting something like this out there.
D. Rosen wrote:
I've never seen a medieval-period dagger/knife that looks like the Trousse before...I guess its something like a seax...Does anyone have the source for it?

Looks pretty much like a hauswehre-type knife, actually. See Plate 42 in Harold Peterson's classic Daggers and Fighting Knives of the Western World.

Quote:
The two Landsknecht swords seem kind of fantasy-ish...I'm sure they're based on historical models, but I'm not to fond of them. The katzabalger could have been done so much better.

They've offered that specific hilt style before, and I've never been fond of it either. The grip and pommel don't "flow" the way they should in a katzbalger.
Here is a photo of the historical original that inspires MRL's falchion shown above:

[ Linked Image ]

Italian, circa 1600-1610
Leave it to Nathan to find a picture of the original. :D

Anyway, looks like they got the hilt down pretty nice. Not a perfect replica, but still.... I think I would've like the MRL version a bit more of they had made the blade more like the original too.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: