Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL/Windlass swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: New MRL/Windlass swords?         Reply with quote

I was just checking out Windlass Steelcrafts site ( www.windlass.com ) for info on their heat-treating when I discovered a whole bunch of new (to me, anyway) swords. Rather than using the link on the left side of the page, use the image link across the top. Example: SCOTTISH BEAKNOSE RIBBON-HILT (#1-212).

I have already checked MRL and they are not listed... yet. Nor are they on the Reliks page. Yet there they are.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's important that you do the legwork for the readers of this site so that everyone who reads the topic doesn't have to figure out what you already know. Happy Simply saying to use the image link at the top isn't enough. There is no image link at the top except in the philosophy section.

Here is the link to the page you are talking about: http://www.windlass.com/pop/sword.htm

Unfortunately, the swords listed there aren't new swords: they're really quite old swords. I don't believe they're available any longer. They were once carried by MRL years ago.

It's too bad: many swords I really liked that were made and cancelled by MRL/Windlass were amongst my favorites. Leave it to me to be into swords that didn't sell well. Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Bryan

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Ribbon Hilt looked interesting.I had just seen this sword in a old MRL catalog the other day and I wish it was still in production.Did anyone here have any experience with this sword?
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
It's too bad: many swords I really liked that were made and cancelled by MRL/Windlass were amongst my favorites. Leave it to me to be into swords that didn't sell well.

I guess that just means the rest of the world doesn't have descriminating tastes like you and I. The upside is, if you are paying attention, it improves your chances of picking them up during a closeout sale. That, of course is small consolation, since I have usually missed those sales or not had the free cash when they come around.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Adam Welch

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dang it, Nathan. I saw the pics before I read your post and I thought they were bringing back the Ring Hilt Rapier.... I'm in the same boat, alot of the models I like only seem to appear in one or two catalogs.
Factus est Dominus Protector Meus!
Eric Bergeron

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aye I really like those rapiers featured, maybe since Hank Reinhardt frequents here maybe he'll see this thread and pass along the info to MRL/Windlass see if they could bring back some of the old models?
Tom Carr

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Bergeron wrote:
Aye I really like those rapiers featured, maybe since Hank Reinhardt frequents here maybe he'll see this thread and pass along the info to MRL/Windlass see if they could bring back some of the old models?

I'd like to see the Albercht II and the Scottish sidesword come back. They were here and gone before I had a chance to pick one up.
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Would like to see the German Cut & Thrust , last seen in Cat.# 79, make a come back.

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Carr wrote:
Eric Bergeron wrote:

I'd like to see the Albercht II and the Scottish sidesword come back. They were here and gone before I had a chance to pick one up.

Yes! I would like to see that Scottish backsword!

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Too bad! I would dearly like to have a closer look at that beak-nosed ribbon hilt...

Cheers,
Henrik
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
That, of course is small consolation, since I have usually missed those sales or not had the free cash when they come around.
-Grey

That's just it: You pay the rent/mortgage/tuition and only THEN will a sword sale come up. Cry
Or here's my favorite: A sword you would love to own is now on sale, so you call the maker/retailer and buy it. The next day, your car suddenly needs a $500 repair. Mad

Remember the Ravenna sword? It was a big two-hander. That one was neat; I miss it. I managed to get one of MRL's gigantic Landesknecht two-handers just before they discontinued it. It was called (Hank, help me out) the "Two handed Flamberge." This thing is 66 inches overall!

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:

Remember the Ravenna sword? It was a big two-hander. That one was neat; I miss it.

Oh yeah, I remember it. A friend of mine has always been in love with that sword. I don't think there is a way to emphasis how much he has wanted it. Unfortunately, he had a wife and (at the time) three kids, a mortgage, etc., etc., etc. Well, he has done some pretty important things for me throughout the years, and when I was in Iraq with some extra money, I decided to buy him that sword. I went over to the MRL website, and tried to find it. Apparently I decided to buy my friend his dream sword within a month of them discontinuing it. Saying I was distraught is an understatement. Fortunately, I found it at By The Sword, Inc. (sorry, just checked they don't still have it), but I understand the kind of panic you can feel when you just miss that one sword you really want.

-Grey

P.S. You should see what that sword looks like in the hands of an 8 year old boy (my friends son gets to hold it some times). That only exagerates its size.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's happened to me a couple of times. What I did was call MRL, and ask if they had any for sale in their showroom. They usually put any discintinued stuff up for sale there; even though they've been discontinued, they sometimes have the odd one still kicking around. Anyhow, they did indeed have the sword I wanted, and I managed to get it, just by the skin of my teeth...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL/Windlass swords?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic