New MRL/Windlass swords?
I was just checking out Windlass Steelcrafts site ( www.windlass.com ) for info on their heat-treating when I discovered a whole bunch of new (to me, anyway) swords. Rather than using the link on the left side of the page, use the image link across the top. Example: SCOTTISH BEAKNOSE RIBBON-HILT (#1-212).

I have already checked MRL and they are not listed... yet. Nor are they on the Reliks page. Yet there they are.
It's important that you do the legwork for the readers of this site so that everyone who reads the topic doesn't have to figure out what you already know. :) Simply saying to use the image link at the top isn't enough. There is no image link at the top except in the philosophy section.

Here is the link to the page you are talking about: http://www.windlass.com/pop/sword.htm

Unfortunately, the swords listed there aren't new swords: they're really quite old swords. I don't believe they're available any longer. They were once carried by MRL years ago.

[ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ] [ Linked Image ]

It's too bad: many swords I really liked that were made and cancelled by MRL/Windlass were amongst my favorites. Leave it to me to be into swords that didn't sell well. :)
The Ribbon Hilt looked interesting.I had just seen this sword in a old MRL catalog the other day and I wish it was still in production.Did anyone here have any experience with this sword?
Nathan Robinson wrote:
It's too bad: many swords I really liked that were made and cancelled by MRL/Windlass were amongst my favorites. Leave it to me to be into swords that didn't sell well.

I guess that just means the rest of the world doesn't have descriminating tastes like you and I. The upside is, if you are paying attention, it improves your chances of picking them up during a closeout sale. That, of course is small consolation, since I have usually missed those sales or not had the free cash when they come around.

-Grey
Dang it, Nathan. I saw the pics before I read your post and I thought they were bringing back the Ring Hilt Rapier.... I'm in the same boat, alot of the models I like only seem to appear in one or two catalogs.
Aye I really like those rapiers featured, maybe since Hank Reinhardt frequents here maybe he'll see this thread and pass along the info to MRL/Windlass see if they could bring back some of the old models?
Eric Bergeron wrote:
Aye I really like those rapiers featured, maybe since Hank Reinhardt frequents here maybe he'll see this thread and pass along the info to MRL/Windlass see if they could bring back some of the old models?

I'd like to see the Albercht II and the Scottish sidesword come back. They were here and gone before I had a chance to pick one up.
Would like to see the German Cut & Thrust , last seen in Cat.# 79, make a come back.

Bill
Tom Carr wrote:
Eric Bergeron wrote:

I'd like to see the Albercht II and the Scottish sidesword come back. They were here and gone before I had a chance to pick one up.

Yes! I would like to see that Scottish backsword!
Too bad! I would dearly like to have a closer look at that beak-nosed ribbon hilt...

Cheers,
Henrik
Greyson Brown wrote:
That, of course is small consolation, since I have usually missed those sales or not had the free cash when they come around.
-Grey

That's just it: You pay the rent/mortgage/tuition and only THEN will a sword sale come up. :cry:
Or here's my favorite: A sword you would love to own is now on sale, so you call the maker/retailer and buy it. The next day, your car suddenly needs a $500 repair. :mad:

Remember the Ravenna sword? It was a big two-hander. That one was neat; I miss it. I managed to get one of MRL's gigantic Landesknecht two-handers just before they discontinued it. It was called (Hank, help me out) the "Two handed Flamberge." This thing is 66 inches overall!
Edward Hitchens wrote:

Remember the Ravenna sword? It was a big two-hander. That one was neat; I miss it.

Oh yeah, I remember it. A friend of mine has always been in love with that sword. I don't think there is a way to emphasis how much he has wanted it. Unfortunately, he had a wife and (at the time) three kids, a mortgage, etc., etc., etc. Well, he has done some pretty important things for me throughout the years, and when I was in Iraq with some extra money, I decided to buy him that sword. I went over to the MRL website, and tried to find it. Apparently I decided to buy my friend his dream sword within a month of them discontinuing it. Saying I was distraught is an understatement. Fortunately, I found it at By The Sword, Inc. (sorry, just checked they don't still have it), but I understand the kind of panic you can feel when you just miss that one sword you really want.

-Grey

P.S. You should see what that sword looks like in the hands of an 8 year old boy (my friends son gets to hold it some times). That only exagerates its size.
That's happened to me a couple of times. What I did was call MRL, and ask if they had any for sale in their showroom. They usually put any discintinued stuff up for sale there; even though they've been discontinued, they sometimes have the odd one still kicking around. Anyhow, they did indeed have the sword I wanted, and I managed to get it, just by the skin of my teeth...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: