Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Proper dagger for a XII century northern italian soldier Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Proper dagger for a XII century northern italian soldier         Reply with quote

I'm looking for resources on the right kind of dagger a communal northern italian foot soldier or urban knight could carry and fight with.

I'm actually forging one for myself with the help of a part time smith, so I would like to build a corect historical example, with special regard to balance.

Any help will be appreciated
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Proper dagger for a XII century northern italian soldier         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
I'm looking for resources on the right kind of dagger a communal northern italian foot soldier or urban knight could carry and fight with.

I'm actually forging one for myself with the help of a part time smith, so I would like to build a corect historical example, with special regard to balance.

Any help will be appreciated

From my limited knowledge all I can tell is that for the period you are interested in there is ridiculously little (read none) evidence about daggers in europe. We know about the battle knives of the vikings and then the evidence gets lost untill early 14th century when effigies and painings started showing knights with daggers. From what I have read there appears to be no information about how the daggers were worn between 8th and 14th century or what the daggers looked like. I know of few 13th century daggers but again no information about how they were worn.

I would also appreciate any information about 12c daggers if any one has it.

Alexi
Brian M

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I also have read here that daggers did not start to be worn in addition to the sword until the early 1300s.

Brian M
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great!

I will have the freedom to build a renaissance dagger for myself, while sporting it on my hunting trips!

Actually I love renaissance arms and armor more than any other but in my area the only re-enactment company focuses on the XII century.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2006 2:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To allow for some speculation:
I would think that a decentant of the seax would be appropriate. The Longobards were strong in Italy and they used sturdy seaxes.
In the 13th C we see single edged daggers with thick backs and narrow pointy triangular blades.

Going backwards from this (anf this is very speculative) we could imagine a narrow dirk shaped seax, perhaps.
I would assume the grip would basically be a knife shaped grip. It can be made plain or rather elaborate, but I donīt think you would see much in the way of pommel and guard.
The blade would probably be thick in the back, perhaps some 6-8 mm with a cros section that would be triangular.
You could add a narrow grove along the back.
The blade could possibly be patternwelded, as knife blades and spear heads continued to be patternwelded after that swords were being made with other methods.
The scabbard would enclose most of the grip and could have bronze clips to seal the "seam". If that feels too much like migration era, you could go with a sewn seam and tooled leaherwork in 12th C style (either geometric or floral).

This is just speculation, as I have not seen any 12th C Italian daggers/knives that I am aware of. The weapon I described would along the lines of plausibility.
In the 13th C we have clearly dedicated daggers that are different from hunting knives/utility knives or seaxes. These first daggers are normaly sinlge edged. What the situation was in the preceding century I am not so sure.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank for the suggestion Peter but pattern - welding is way out of my present capabilities ....

I'm just starting to make some blades for fun in my spare time so I guess I have a lot of polenta to eat (as we say in Northern Italy) before becoming a pattern - welder!

Anyway, I have found some illustartions in the Maciejowsky bible that I could like, such daggers are from 1250 while we are portaayng infantry soldiers at the time of the Lega Lombarda's battle of Legnano, which occurred A.D. 1175, seven decades before the maciejowsky knights.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have found a wealth of daggers in the Maciejowsky bible as the website www.medievaltymes.com provides a complete webedition of the Maciejowsky bible.

I suggest everybody interested in this thread should visit the website, which is pic intensive, minding to type in the browser's addres bar the word tymes instead of times , so it will be medievaltymes .

Here I have made a link with an already made google search of that website that will yeld the right pages where dagger images are present

LINK

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Proper dagger for a XII century northern italian soldier
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic