Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spear of Destiny/Heilige Lanze photos (large image warning) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Spear of Destiny/Heilige Lanze photos (large image warning)         Reply with quote

I had a recent, and unexpected, opportunity to take a few photos of this fascinating artifiact recently, as well as the Reichskrone, both of which I thought might be worth sharing. I encountered these pieces in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, where they were on display, accompanied by no publicity of which I was aware. Whether they were being displayed as part of a tour or were simply on loan from Vienna was not immediately apparent..

Jack Horner

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My God what a beautiful weapon. I have only seen old black & white photos before, they really didn't do it justice.

It doesn't fit into any category of spear I'm aware of (not like I'm an expert...)

There's aspects of lugged spear, but then it's blade is so long. Does the gold sheathe cover a break?
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack Horner wrote:
There's aspects of lugged spear, but then it's blade is so long. Does the gold sheathe cover a break?

It does indeed. At some point during the past the middle section of the spear blade was removed to accomodate the nail (supposedly from the true cross) which is now held in place by wire. Most likely as a result of this, the spear is now in several pieces. It is actually a rather standard "Lugged" or "Winged" spear of the Carolingian period which has been reassembled incorrectly.
This is more obvious when you see the spear head in spererate peices, as below.

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the beautiful pictures. The subject of the Spear of Destiny recently arose in a discussion with my son, and now you have given me an excellent illustration.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those are excellent photographs. Thank you for sharing them.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Been there; tried to take those same pictures; fought with the glass! What's your secret? I'm quite jealous of your ability to get those shots, as I have made two trips to the Kriminal Museum, now.

I am almost certain that that spear was there in early (Feb-Mar) 2003, and I can guarantee that it was there a few months ago (Sept or so). It might be on long term loan, but it has been there a while either way.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spear of Destiny/Heilige Lanze photos (large image warning)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic