Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A nice reproduction 16th century basket-hilt Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: A nice reproduction 16th century basket-hilt         Reply with quote

This reproduction baskethilt , based off an original 16th century piece, was posted over on NetSword a good while back !
The sword was commissioned by a gentleman who goes by the name of "Chuckie" but I can't for the life of me remember who the maker of this piece was ? ( Kirby Wise maybe ?? )

Anyways ....
I could not find the original post ? (to say for sure who made this one ?) but I did manage to find a bunch of photos I'd saved of it, in an old file folder ! (figured my fellow basket-cases here would be interested, in the event they had not seen this one !)

If anyone recalls who did this one ( or if old Sikandur could give my memory a ghostly kick :-) I'd appreciate it !

The first pic will be of an original 16th cen. basket-hilt of similar style(sans the pommel) that Vince Evans shot , followed by Chuckie's reproduction piece !

Mac

Attachment: 78.76 KB
chuckiesword3.jpg

Attachment: 24.89 KB
chuckiesword.jpg

Attachment: 92.84 KB
chuckiesword4.jpg

Attachment: 89.53 KB
chuckiesword6.jpg

Attachment: 63.49 KB
chuckiesword5.jpg

Attachment: 53.51 KB
chuckiesword2.jpg

Attachment: 73.47 KB
chuckiesword7.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mac, I've always wanted a repro made of that original. I've always called it the "feather" style, because of the shaping of the bars. I remember talking with Vince about it and he put me on his list of "interested parties". Vince has had the opportunity to see an authentic version of the piece. I'm really quite enamoured with it.

I believe you're right about it being a Kirby Wise reproduction. That's how I saved it to my hard drive, at least.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's cool and unusual style. You don't see that every day.
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Mac, I've always wanted a repro made of that original. I've always called it the "feather" style, because of the shaping of the bars. I remember talking with Vince about it and he put me on his list of "interested parties". Vince has had the opportunity to see an authentic version of the piece. I'm really quite enamoured with it.
I believe you're right about it being a Kirby Wise reproduction. That's how I saved it to my hard drive, at least.

Hi Nathan

Yes, I remember you talking about this one !
It would make an awesome addition to your eclectic collection of complex-hilted swords :-)

Yeah, It's gotta be a Kirby Wise ..... http://www.kirbywise.com/index2.htm?

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basket appears to be assymetrical, intended for right hand use. I have heard of swords made specifically for right- or left-handed users, but this is the first actual example that I think I have seen.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

VERY Cool sword. Yet again, Mac, you have posted some wonderful photo's of a wonderful sword!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Basket appears to be assymetrical, intended for right hand use. I have heard of swords made specifically for right- or left-handed users, but this is the first actual example that I think I have seen.

Hi Steve

The noticable off-set (bias) is a feature that many baskethilts incorporate in order to give the user a little more knuckle room !
A few of my Vince Evans baskets have off-sets that measure in the 3/8" to 1/4" range !
* Attached is a rear-view photo of my VE Stirling backsword which features a 3/8" right-handed bias !

Checkout Vince's Scottish Baskethilt Construction album as it depicts an S-hilt (Dave Wilson's) that clearly shows this feature being built into it !

Mac

Attachment: 63.31 KB
vinceperfection2.jpg

XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Mar, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nifty! Cool

I have to say that this is one I wouldn't mind either. Both for its uniqueness and the fact that it doesn't look like a "normal" basket hilt (leaves more for you eh, Mac? Wink ). I seem to prefer the english baskets and Schiavonas. This "feather one is very cool though.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Thu 17 Mar, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
A few of my Vince Evans baskets have off-sets that measure in the 3/8" to 1/4" range !
* Attached is a rear-view photo of my VE Stirling backsword which features a 3/8" right-handed bias !

Checkout Vince's Scottish Baskethilt Construction album as it depicts an S-hilt (Dave Wilson's) that clearly shows this feature being built into it !

Mac

Both your VE Stirling and Dave Wilson's S-Hilt are simply gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. May we have more, please?
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That's an interresting and beautyful basket hilt. Nice scabbard too... Like that "froghook but no throat", but it looks a bit more 18th century like.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello All.

Just registered and went looking through the archived threads under Kirby's name and found this one.

Although Kirby has made a few Scottish baskets in a similar vein over the years. Unfortunately, this is not one of his.
So I wish to set the record straight. Whomever "Chuckie" commissioned it from, will have to remain anonymous still. Until that NetSword thread can be found.

But "Thank You" to those thinking it might have been and for mentioning your appreciation of Kirby's work.

There are "giveaways" to look for. Two obvious ones are the blade does not have Kirby's armourer's mark and he will not put a ricasso like that on a Scottish blade .....especially when reproducing a period piece. He would prefer to multi-groove the blade like the original rather than make such a wide single one like that one has. Nor does he make leather covered wooden scabbards as this one is sheathed in. Although he could and has, in special cases, but not for Scottish baskethilts.

Kirby has been making Scottish weaponry, off and on, for about 50 years now and all of his weaponry have his "K over an Anvil". In the past five years, he has included a "B" under it as well for our son, Brenden, who helps in the shop with some of the forgework.

An interesting interpetation of the original basket by this one's maker, though. A very nice piece. The Scabbard does look more "18th Century" as Henryk pointed out.

As to the original 16th Century piece, Kirby has been wanting to make something like that for awhile.

Laurie Wise-Fraser, FSA Scot.

Kirby Wise-Fraser, FSA Scot.&Son
Arms and Armour

Update:
I just showed this thread and sword to Kirby. The blade itself and scabbard styling is more 19th Century in his opinion. He has replicated a few Walther Allen baskets and other older styles (Wish we had taken photos of these...but either did not have a camera or forgot before sending them out. in those years before getting a computer/digital camera) Especially as he holds a warrant as Clan Armourer to Lord Lovat, Chief of the Clan Fraser of Lovat in Scotland, he would not forget to put his mark on a Scottish weapon. This warrant was first given to him by Simon (" MacShimi") Fraser 24th Chief in 1979 for his long service. It was reinstated by his grandson, Christopher, upon his becoming the 25th Chief after MacShimi died a few years ago. Christopher's father, who would have been the next one, died of a heart attack while MacShimi was still Chief.

Just abit of background here.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jan, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, I remember that one... now just to remember who made it. The blade with the squared off fuller reminds me of one of Gus's type X blades, so could this be something that Erik Stevenson from Phoenix Metal Creations made? The scabbard and grip are throwing me off a bit on who it might be. Keep trying to think of who all was doing basket hilts back about this time. Castle Keep, Mad Piper, and Manning Imperial come to mind, although I don't think it would be Craig's. Both Rob and Donnie have done the very simple grips like that, but I would have expected some silver scabbard fittings if it was Donnie's. I'm stumped unless it is one of Erik's....

Shane
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
Ah, I remember that one... now just to remember who made it. The blade with the squared off fuller reminds me of one of Gus's type X blades, so could this be something that Erik Stevenson from Phoenix Metal Creations made? The scabbard and grip are throwing me off a bit on who it might be. Keep trying to think of who all was doing basket hilts back about this time. Castle Keep, Mad Piper, and Manning Imperial come to mind, although I don't think it would be Craig's. Both Rob and Donnie have done the very simple grips like that, but I would have expected some silver scabbard fittings if it was Donnie's. I'm stumped unless it is one of Erik's....

Shane
Rob Miller doesn't show anything like this piece on his Castle Keep website....
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally found it....

Here is the old thread:
http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000438.html

He says that it was made by Talawin forge, however it looks like he spelled it wrong and it is really Talerwin Forge since the first name of Alex he mentions matchs with Alex from Talerwin Forge.

http://www.frojel.com/members/talerwin/

Shane
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice work, Shane !

I swear I went thru every post Chuckie had done and did not find that one !
(he did mention an Alex in another thread, which included his Geocites link, but nothing definative as this!)

Thank you, Mac

Forge: Talerwin Forge
Smith: Alex
Overall length: 41.5"
Blade: 35"
Weight: 3lb 13oz, 1.665Kg
COB: 2.75", 6.9 cm from basket
COP: 10.5", 27cm from tip
False edge: 8" (the back of the sword is sharp for the last 8" of its length)

Fuller runs from a half inch from the basket to about 9" from the end (but fades out rather than a sharp end.)
Fuller is half the width of the sword along its entire length.
Grip is apparently ray skin ?, accentuated with silver. At both ends the handle is buffered by leather to absorb vibrations.
Basket is very nicely polished and then blued with a chemical bluing agent.
The majority of the bars are a shade under 5 mm thick.
The scabbard is wood wrapped in leather with a metal chape and a hook for the baldric.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:

It's not Eric of PMC, for sure. My own opinion is that it is not Castle Keep, Mad Piper, or Manning Imperial either.

I'd say Talerwin Forge is reasonable.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It isn't like I think it is any of the others either after I found the guys post saying who made it.

Shane

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A nice reproduction 16th century basket-hilt
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic