Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions about Wasters Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Questions about Wasters         Reply with quote

I'm looking at ordering my first waster in the next few days, and have a few questions on the matter. First, I've noticed that the wasters by New Stirling Arms are endorsed by ARMA: do they have a significantly better ballance (or better balance at all) than wasters by Purpleheart?

Second, I have a Crecy on the way Big Grin : how important is it for the characteristics of my waster to mimic those of the sword I intend to use (i.e. should I try for a waster with a wheel pommel and similar weight, length, and balance)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about Wasters         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
I'm looking at ordering my first waster in the next few days, and have a few questions on the matter. First, I've noticed that the wasters by New Stirling Arms are endorsed by ARMA: do they have a significantly better ballance (or better balance at all) than wasters by Purpleheart?

Second, I have a Crecy on the way Big Grin : how important is it for the characteristics of my waster to mimic those of the sword I intend to use (i.e. should I try for a waster with a wheel pommel and similar weight, length, and balance)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The NSA wasters are some of the finest I've ever handled. They are not only fine works of art but very functional and tough. They are also balance very, very well. Some years back we had some quality issues with Purpleheart although I still have a few that have served me well. It's your choice really but when it's time for me to replace one I'll definately go with NSA.

The main thing about wasters is length and pommel preference. I find the wheel pommels to be way too thick and clumsy so I always go with scent stoppers. It's very hard to match your waster to a good steel sword so just stick with comparable length and a pommel that suits your taste and style.

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as balance goes, every wooden waster I've ever held feels blade heavy. Because of the properties of wood it is hard to make a waster with a historic profile and good balance. I have never handled anything from Stirling Arms but they do look really nice. I've been more loyal to Purpleheart. They are bit on the heavy side but holy crap are they durable. I even did a pell in once with a murder stroke with no sword damage. Purpleheart lets you customize your sword length, pommel, etc., so you can match your Crecy, but I'm afraid the balance beween the two won't be the same. Hopefully someone will post how the Stirling stuff handles and that will help you decide. I'm curious to know myself. Good luck.
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Posted on the same minute. Wierd.
DaK A. Wade

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will second NSA, very well balanced and really nice people. Also there is Raven Studios, [url]http://little-raven.com/RS/MA/ [/url]both these far exceed Purpleheart for balance IMHO and are also customizable. Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Questions about Wasters
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic