Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the NY round table gathering last fall... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, I also used to think the knightly riding sword was ugly, until I handled one in person. Then my opinion of it did a complete 180. I really like this sword. It handles beautifully. Craig's comments about no one paying it any attention until they pick it up don't surprise me in the least.

By the way, A&A's website says you can still get it in bronze.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found a few more pics. Most are of me with the antiques. These are a good resource because you can get an idea of the size fo these swords. Too often antique swords pictured in books are against bland backgrounds with no frame of reference.

Attachment: 72.46 KB
005_3-1.JPG

Attachment: 69.97 KB
009_7-1.JPG

Attachment: 46.6 KB
010_8-1.JPG

Attachment: 80.32 KB
013_11-1.JPG

Attachment: 55.23 KB
012_10-1.JPG

Attachment: 65.4 KB
003_1-1.JPG

Attachment: 34.82 KB
004_2-1.JPG

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
I found a few more pics. Most are of me with the antiques....
Hmmm. From the expression, it seems that your favorite was the Type XV single hander. I like that one, too. But I'd also like to get hold of that Sinclair.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nope. The viking was my favorite. Granted, the type XV was beautiful, but the viking just screamed "kill something!!!" (not that I'd ever do that). The cutlass was very cool as well. I loved the long, straight blade. I'd really like to have a copy of that one made.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jay for the pics!
I really enjoyed looked at them. Especiallly that viking. You and any one else who has had the pleasure of handling that are truly fortunate. I have not had the experience of holding such an ancient weapon. Really really cool!
Do you happen to have an idea as to its' weight? POB? approximations would be fine. I'm wondering if it has a very pronounced blade prescence or more mass towards the guard- in other words more like the like the Gaddjhalt or the Reeve (which balances much like the Knight).
Jeremy
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the pics, especially of the antiques and of your own collection. As for the Knightly Riding Sword, it was my first sword purchase, in fact it has the A&A stamp on the blade. I find that is a wonderful cutter and very easy to use in the thrust, it's gratifying to find that other people share the same opinion of this little gem.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Thanks Jay for the pics!
Do you happen to have an idea as to its' weight? POB? approximations would be fine. I'm wondering if it has a very pronounced blade prescence or more mass towards the guard- in other words more like the like the Gaddjhalt or the Reeve (which balances much like the Knight).
Jeremy

It was a true privilage to be able to handle those swords. Short of test cutting, Dr. Jones was exceptionally willing to let us examine and generally paw all the pieces he brought. The viking seemed to weigh around 3lbs. (or a tad more) if I remember correctly. It definitely had very pronounced blade presence but was still comfortably weildable. I was also surprised with how familiar it felt. My Jody Samson Carolingian has very similar handling characteristics.
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I must have been spending too much time on that other forum. I missed the announcement entirely. Looks like it owuld have been worth attending.

P.S. to Mr. Barron: Howdy, Neighbor!
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jim Mearkle wrote:
I must have been spending too much time on that other forum. I missed the announcement entirely. Looks like it owuld have been worth attending.

P.S. to Mr. Barron: Howdy, Neighbor!

I didn't realize there was another sword collector in the capital district. The round table was indeed a good time. Unfortunately, I had to skip out before things really got rowdy (the bar was put to good use). Rose, NY is three hours from Albany but we stayed with my sister in law in Syracuse so the drive wasn't bad.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from the NY round table gathering last fall...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: