Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New guy to the forums...be nice please Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: New guy to the forums...be nice please         Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm Murphy! Yes, I know my REAL name is T. F. McCraken, but even Mom called me Murphy as does everybody else. It's rough growing up with Tracy Francis as a name when I am a guy. I lived. Mostly because I only sign my paychecks with Tracy, so call me Murphy!

I do collect. Some wallhangers,but, I officially have more functional than flashy. I shopped MRL a few times and did some deals outside and at Renaissance Faires. I LOVE Irish swords. I have 3 functional and two wallhangers in Irish style alone. One is factory-stock from MRL and all the others are home-altered or altered at the forge of a friend from Faire.

I like to carve my own handles. It always looks better than factory and it's always good practice. I love to commision blacksmiths to create a better crossguard than the one it comes with.

I worked at Bristol Renaissance Faire for 12 years and loved every minute of it. Ahhh, to wear a sword in public is so liberating! (Don't ask about when I worked at the Nudist Camp in MI. These forums aren't ready for THOSE stories yet!)

I'm happily almost married with an 8 year-old step-daughter who is physically handicapped and wheelchair-bound. I work very sporadically in a bunch of fields, but, mostly doing carpenter work and quotes for my brother's home-remodeling business. The SWMBO is being quite the breadwinner, so I can't complain at all.

I wanna learn to work metal myself one day. Or design. I do a lot of drawing and I love to design the hilts and furniture for my blades, but, until I can do it myself, I'm always keeping my ear open for a good forgemaster to send work to.

How bout some pix?

Now these are only my Irish hilt blades and the bottom was a before and after with a Stainless blade I picked up on eBay. I built the grip and cut the ring on a lathe at a friends home. $38.95 beginning to end. A great wallhanger!

The one above that is the untouched MRL Flared Irish. Above that is the two-hander from Atlanta Cutlery converted to an Irish hilt. The top was my first functional blade that was the inexpensive basket hilt from Atlanta Cutlery converted to an Irish Key-guard.

I have a bunch more and even more soon. I hope to gain a lot with participation in the forums here.
We'll see,
Murphy[/img]
Ken Rankin

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Murphy!

Glad to meet you! I am a bit new here myself, but it is a great forum and the people here are really great! Hope to hear more from you soon!

Ken
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome to the myArmoury.com forums. If you like Irish swords check out this site: http://www.irisharms.ie/product.htm Toward the bottom of the page are several Irish swords. The pics aren't great but I have heard that Irish Arms swords are good quality and very authentic.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Murphy,
Hello and welcome. Enjoy your stay. We have a few Irish arms featured on this site. Check out Nate Bell's collection gallery. He has an Irish ring pommel sword and a skein. Cool stuff. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I hoping, of course, to learn and share with a lot of you. More learning than anything. Hopefully, I will enhance my own collection with the advise from this site.

Cheers,
Murphy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just saying hellow and welcome, this site is friendly as well as informative, don't neglect to look at all the featured articles, reviews, collections etc ...... Big Grin
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome, Murphy! "Home improvement" sword projects are always cool, I just wish I were better at them myself. WTF?! Laughing Out Loud
I have a couple of sword handles that I really want to redo, I'm just not sure where to start. Eek! Happy
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sat 15 Apr, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome, Murphy!
You'll find that this site is packed with a lot of info and that the forums have a very friendly atmosphere. My guess is that you'll be as addicted as many of us within short time! Big Grin
I really like home-improvement projects as well, but I've not done much yet. Your projects looks great! Happy
I understand your fascination with Irish weapons. The're is just something about 'em! Personally I'm more of a Scottish 17th-18th cenrtury enthusiast.

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've had some warm welcomes before and so I recognize this as another! Keep an eye out for my new post in a couple of days where I excitedly tell you all the shape of the 2 battle-readys, two SLOs and an MRL heater shield I just picked up on eBay for $148.00 total. They should be here in a few days. HUZZAH!!!!

Murphy WTF?!
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Murphy!

Welcome to the forum. You've probably already noticed that there are a lot of very accomplished craftspeople on this forum, so you've come to the right place. Anyway, I worked Bristol for a few years myself, so I just thought I'd say "Good morrow M'lord!"

--Kevin Iseli
Elvenarts scabbard shop
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well met, good sir! Top O' the mornin to ya, and the rest of the day as well! As a fellow Bristolite, I had to check out the link at the bottom of your post and I have to say "Nice scabbard work!" Truely impressive. I have yet to make a scabbard that really shines as a creation. I have done one for a friend's sword and it didn't come out nearly as nice as your's. Of course I haven't really practiced the art to any degree that you have, but, I find your work inspiring and will have to try again! Did you work at Bristol because you lived close, or, were you from out of town and came with the vendor?

Just wondering,
Murphy WTF?!
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Murphy,

Thanks for the compliments! I lived is southern WI at the time, so I was a local. I started working for games when I was 16. It was a good summer job. Now, sadly, I ussually only visit once a year on opening weekend. But I still wear my sword! (yes liberating and fun) Big Grin

Anon,
Kevin
T.F. McCraken

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I worked at Rainbow Rocks and Oh Susannas Leather. I think it was your boss who I jammed with all the time if you worked for Jordan that is. I think I'm gonna do some part time work at Potter's Market with Chris Major this year...not sure. I suppose we'll have to see.
So...Cheesehead eh? As a Freindly Illinois Boy, I can call you that with applomb and ease! Big Grin I kid...I kid because I love!

See ya there?
Murph WTF?!
Kevin Iseli
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool! See you opening weekend perhaps!
--Kevin Iseli
Elvenarts scabbard shop

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > New guy to the forums...be nice please
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic