Roman times sharp things from JT
Apparently JT has made two gladii (spelling?) and one spatha. It looks like the blades are of some kind of laminated structure. They seem to be quite personalised (see the different thicknesses of the handles). I have no idea how accurate they are (or even are they supposed to be), but I like 'em. They're purdy.

[ Linked Image ]

Sadly there's no additional info on the website besides their price point.

http://www.kp-art.fi/jt/miekat/03.html
Look really great, but is it just the lighting, but the one on the left looks like the point is a bit off in the symetrical department ?
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Look really great, but is it just the lighting, but the one on the left looks like the point is a bit off in the symetrical department ?

I'm not sure about that asymetry-I think that it is because of the shadow :confused: For me they look great!What is the price of those pieces?
Michal Plezia wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

I'm not sure about that asymetry-I think that it is because of the shadow :confused: For me they look great!What is the price of those pieces?

Yes I agree they do look great. :D One side of the point looks curved and the other just slightly more of a strait line ?
Could easily be an optical illusion. :confused: :?:

I would in any case be happy to own it. :cool: :lol:
Quote:
Could easily be an optical illusion.

Or maybe it lays more on one side and the picture was taken not directly above-take a look on the grip.
Michal Plezia wrote:
Quote:
Could easily be an optical illusion.

Or maybe it lays more on one side and the picture was taken not directly above-take a look on the grip.

Yes that seems very probable. :D

I really like the narrow double fullers of the one on the right and the nice aging of the blade.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

It might be. If JT wanted it to be so. :) JT's a "bit" of a perfectionist regarding his swordmaking. So if it's there, it's there fo a reason.

Michal: Check the last sentence I wrote in my first post.
Risto Rautiainen wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Look really great, but is it just the lighting, but the one on the left looks like the point is a bit off in the symmetrical department ?

It might be. If JT wanted it to be so. :) JT's a "bit" of a perfectionist regarding his swordmaking. So if it's there, it's there fo a reason.

Well that is quite possible that it matches closely the period aesthetic and is exactly the way the maker wants it: Concerns or lack of concern for symmetry! Perfect symmetry is a very modern obsession as a lot of the Medieval stuff seem to have asymmetries that can't be blamed on just being old or selective rusting or damage.

Be assured that my comments are more from curiosity than any implied criticism. :D
Quote:

Thanks! Didn'n notice it at first time. :)
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Be assured that my comments are more from curiosity than any implied criticism. :D

That's what I thought. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: