Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sparring Anyone...? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Sparring Anyone...?         Reply with quote

Hello,

I am 16 and live on the eastern shore of Maryland (USA) and I am looking for a sparring partner or at least someone to practice with or teach me. I collect, read about, and love swords. I own and practice from "Medieval Combat" a fighting manual originally by Hans Talhoffer. Now I want to try my hand at using a sword against someone (obviously not a real sword, a wooden waster or RSW sword). Anyone interested?

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,
Where are you in Maryland? I can recommend two places.

First of all is the Mid-Atlantic Society for Historical Swordsmanship (MASHS). Their website is www.mashs.org

They're an excellent and serious group run by Larry Tom, and focus primarily on German longsword, Italian rapier and Italian duelling saber.

The second group I can recommend is my own, at the Virginia Academy of Fencing, which I head up. You can PM me for more info if that's the case. We're a little bit south of DC, near George Mason University/The Patriot Center. We have two main tracks, German longsword and Italian rapier.

Either way, I don't recommend jumping into free-fencing immediately without any training. First off, it's a good way to get hurt or hurt someone else very easily when you dont' know what you're doing. It may seem like fun to jump right in and get started, but until you've had enough training, it's easy to underestimate the potential danger until it's too late. Secondly, it's a good way to become very bad very fast. Happy With no one to tell you if you're doing something right or wrong, the tendency to start forming and reinforcing bad habits is very high.

Otherwise, I applaud your enthusiasm, and hope you head down the road of further study in the Western Martial Arts. It's a slippery slope, once you get started, it's hard to turn back. Happy

Oh, and as an aside, you may want to check out the book store section of this site. While the Talhoffer translation is a fantastic aid to historical research, it unfortunately is not a good book to learn from unless if you already understand the system on which it was based. I really, really recommend Christian Tobler's two books, Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship and Fighting With the German Longsword. The second book in particular is geared more towards a general audience, and is very easy to get into. It'll really help your understanding of Talhoffer. Have fun with this stuff!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill,
I live in kent county on the eastern shore of maryland. I would love to join a group and learn some rapier and german longsword techniques. If you are just south of D.C. that shouldn't be too far. You see I just got my license so I can finally go to group stuff like this as well as re enactments. As for the books, thanks for the references, i will be trying to get them very soon.

Thanks,
-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Joshua Reptsik

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello James. If Salisbury doesn't sound to far you should stop by for a visit. Check out our website and see if it's what your looking for. Take care!

http://memag.net/

" You little fool who wanted to be the best, see what happened." -MS 3227a
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi:
I'd definately like to second Bill's choices as far as places to join. Both MASHs and the Virginia Academy
of Fencing have great swordsmanship programs! Training at both facilities is very flexible in regards to driving
through traffic. MASHs meets on Wednesdays and Sundays and the Virginia Academy of Fencing is currently
offering beginning classes starting this weekend.

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Randall Pleasant

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Sparring Anyone...?         Reply with quote

James

You might want to check out ARMA DC study group at www.armadc.com. Note that for some reason they have a large section of white space at the top of their pages.

Also check out the main ARMA web site at www.thearma.org.

Ran Pleasant
ARMA DFW
Ben Strickling

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi James,

ARMA DC meets in Northern Virginia and we'd be glad to have you drop by if you're interested. However, if that's too far, I live in Prince George's County, Maryland and I'd be glad to get with you some time -- a little bit closer. Feel free to PM me if you're interested.

____
Ben Strickling
ARMA DC
Cory Winslow

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jun, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Reptsik wrote:
Hello James. If Salisbury doesn't sound to far you should stop by for a visit. Check out our website and see if it's what your looking for. Take care!

http://memag.net/

Hi James,
I'll second this invitation. Good luck in finding what you're after!

Visit our school at:
www.memag.net

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sparring Anyone...?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic