Pictures of the 1.724 handguns in "Tøjhusmuseet",
Hello again,

I just realised - after find the crossbows mentioned elsewhere - that the intire collection of Tøjhusmuseets 1.725 handguns is now on-line! Text is only in danish but here is a good starting point http://test.www.thm-online.dk/tidsperioder/. All the notes that the museum has on guns is also available on-line.

I'm not really into guns - but thought someone else might find it interesting :-)

Søren

P.S. If you start looking at all the beautiful guns please note that "Billede i høj opløsning" means "high resolution picture" :-)
Thanks for the link. I'm not really into firearms either but some of those early pieces are just fabulous.

Check out this one below. At first I thought it was photographed on a mirror. A "case" of pistols right in one hand. Fascinating :!:

Attachment: 59.96 KB
Dobbelt hjullåspistol circa 1620 [ Download ]
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Thanks for the link. I'm not really into firearms either but some of those early pieces are just fabulous.

Check out this one below. At first I thought it was photographed on a mirror. A "case" of pistols right in one hand. Fascinating :!:

Thanks for the link and some of us do like firearms. ;) :cool:

The most early firearms I've ever seen on a single site, as well as going forward into the 20th century. :D

( OOOPS, sort of quoted the wrong one, but the other Pict is also welcome. )
Søren;

Wow! How cool! Thanks for posting that link. I suspect I'll be pouring over that site for some time now!

Allons!

Gordon
Thanks! Immensely cool. ;)

One question:
Do these have a name? I know they are anti-armour high velocity pistols, but is there a spesific word for them?

[ Linked Image ]

http://www.thm-online.dk/tidsperioder/1588-1648/montre8/b-354/
Elling Polden wrote:
Thanks! Immensely cool. ;)

One question:
Do these have a name? I know they are anti-armour high velocity pistols, but is there a spesific word for them?

[ Linked Image ]

http://www.thm-online.dk/tidsperioder/1588-1648/montre8/b-354/

Elling;

To the best of my knowledge, other than "Pistol" or "Faustrohr", that's about it. The shorter, larger-calibre ball-butted pistols that were so popular in Germanic lands in the last half of the 16th Century, and early years of the 17th, were generally refered to as "Puffers" (i.e. "Smokers"), but a nice long pistol of this sort, designed to pierce armour, was just a "Pistol". (The etimology of that term seems to be from the Czech "Pistala", or "Fist Pipe", rather than from the town of Pistoia as was often thought in previous centuries.)

It seems as though it was the French who developed these long, slender, small caliber/high-velocity armour-piercers in the last decades of the 16th Century, though of course the fashion spread throughout Europe pretty quickly. The peculiar French-style of wheellock, though, didn't export quite as well and remained confined to France for the most part.

Allons!

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: