Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Warbows, Crossbows, & Shields Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next 
Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

During the third crusade knights who had lost their horses in battle took up crossbows during the battle of Arsuf. It was considered by the chroniclers of the times to be very heroic. The archers were also singled out as acting with great bravery and heroism during the battle.

I believe the banning of bowmen from firing on christians by the pope had some specific political agenda behind it.

Hercules was an archer and used the bow in battle. The famous Viking warrior Gunner, who said to be able to throw two spears at once and wield a sword so fast that it looked as tho he had three swords at once, was also an archer.

In knightly epics archers are usually given more respect than ordinary footmen. Also, it was only considered more honorable to kill an animal in hunting with a sword because it was the most dangerous way to hunt.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A distinct posibility is that the english longbowmen where detested more for their practice of looting, burning and raping, in random order, anything they came across.
As low born, lightly equiped troops, they would be used to forage, and be particularly inclined to loot, as their income and fortunes where generally low...
The swis, and other mercenaries, enjoyed similar reputations.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It has been a while since I have read Keegan's book but in other primary accounts deaths by archers by arrows is recorded in both french and english versions so while indeed many fatalities did result from the archers rushing in 'lightly' and killing the encumbered men at arms at Agincourt I do not think the claim most or the majority is accurate or something that can firmly be backed up. The problem is they do not give accounts like.... 656 were killed by arrows in the head, 456 in the chest, 300, etc killed by hand to hand combat in medieval sources but small piecemeal tidbits of info, usually listing big names being killed. Also when men are being killed by archers it is not always by bows either, that point that Dan was making should be noted. I think keegan while a great military writer perhaps is more used to more modern material, (while his part of the mental scene of battle is fantasitc from what I remember). Just my cation on that interpretation.

One example from and English source (The Brut)

'Our archers shot no arrows off target; all caused death and brought to the ground both men and horses.'

Propaganda, you bet. Accuracy. I see no reason to have 1-10 or 1-20 archers men at arms if not. I do not see why three other countries began employing thousands of the long bows either if it did not have some effect either.

Randall

Last edited by Randall Moffett on Wed 05 Jul, 2006 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Chevauchee not battle         Reply with quote

Set piece battles were less commonplace during the Hundred Years War than one might imagine and the character of archers and the English and Gascon soldiers in particular may well, in the view of the French, have been more formed by the use of the chevauchee as a means of damaging the French king's tax base and thereby reducing his ability to wage war.
The Free Companies in particular were a very effective way for the English kings to wage war on the cheap, but one of the consequences was a lack of direct control of these forces.
During periods when treaties were in force prohibiting aggression and ordering the return of fortified places, it was not unknown for agents of the king to have to reduce and forcibly eject or buy out the companies holding such locations.
Much of the Hundred Years War was waged in this less formal fashion, resembling brigandage more than the model of chivalric confrontation on the field of honour.
Rod.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Still sidetracking from missles vs shields but related to this tangent. There was a thread elsewhere in which the subject of ransoming of less than nobles came up

An example from the UK online history site from a search for ransom

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?c...ery=ransom

Use find to go directly to the case concerning ransom. Late 14th century, a woman concerned about her husband who had been captured by the French.

Quote:

18 Dec. 1370
Beatrix, wife of Reginald Fuller, tailor, paid William Knotte, tailor, the sum of 8 marks, in the presence of the Recorder and certain Aldermen, towards obtaining the release of her husband and John Goldesmore, fuller, who had been captured by Frenchmen and imprisoned in Boulogne. The said Reginald Fuller had been already liberated by John de Burer of Boulogne in order to raise 20 marks, the amount of the ransom. Subsequently the ransom demanded had been reduced to 8 marks. It was agreed that William Knotte should refund the money if he failed to secure the release of John Goldesmore. At the same time William Knotte became surety for John Goldesmore that the latter would make no claim on the said Reginald for staying in England.

The original thread here
http://netsword.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000417.html

Again not strictly related to archery but relevant to the worth of squeezing all revenue possible, where possible.

Cheers

GC
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Scholer wrote:

I believe the banning of bowmen from firing on christians by the pope had some specific political agenda behind it.

Mainly because use of such projectiles was seen by those in power as a violation of the social order, making it easy for the common man to take on and defeat his betters. The Papacy would have prefered to see peace between the European rulers and warlike energies devoted to service of the church by going on crusade and extending the rule of the church. For this reason such projectile weapons were deemed appropriate for use against non christians.
Rod.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From an account of battle during the first crusade. This pertaining to crossbows, shields, helmets, etc. This from some reading on this page.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/AnnaComnena-Alexiad10.html

Quote:

This cross-bow is a bow of the barbarians quite unknown to the Greeks; and it is not stretched by the right hand pulling the string whilst the left pulls the bow in a contrary direction, but he who stretches this warlike and very far-shooting weapon must lie, one might say, almost on his back and apply both feet strongly against the semi-circle of the bow and with his two hands pull the string with all his might in the contrary direction. In the middle of the string is a socket, a cylindrical kind of cup fitted to the string itself, and about as long as an arrow of considerable size which reaches from the string to the very middle of the bow; and through this arrows of many sorts are shot out. [256] The arrows used with this bow are very short in length, but very thick, fitted in front with a very heavy iron tip. And in discharging them the string shoots them out with enormous violence and force, and whatever these darts chance to hit, they do not fall back, but they pierce through a shield, then cut through a heavy iron corselet and wing their way through and out at the other side. So violent and ineluctable is the discharge of arrows of this kind. Such an arrow has been known to pierce a bronze statue, and if it hits the wall of a very large town, the point of the arrow either protrudes on the inner side or it buries itself in the middle of the wall and is lost. Such then is this monster of a crossbow, and verily a devilish invention. And the wretched man who is struck by it, dies without feeling anything, not even feeling the blow, however strong it be.

Cheers

GC
Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Henry VIII         Reply with quote

"When you know what a hero he now shows himself, how wisely he behaves, what a lover he is of justice and goodness, what affection he bears to the learned, I will venture that you will need no wings to make you fly to behold this new and auspicious star. If you could see how all the world here is rejoicing in the possession of so great a Prince, how his life is all their desire, you could not contain your tears of joy. The heavens laugh, the earth exults, all things are full of milk, of honey, of nectar. Avarice is expelled the country. Liberality scatters wealth with bounteous hand. Our King does not desire gold or gems or precious metals, but virtue, glory and immortality." Mountjoy to Erasmus on the ascension of Henry VIII

"His Majesty is the handsomest potentate I ever set eyes on; above the usual height, with an extremely fine calf to his leg, his complexion very fair and bright, with auburn hair combed straight and short, in the French fashion, his throat being rather long and thick. He was born on the 28th of June, 1491, so he will enter his twenty-fifth year the month after next. He speaks French, English, and Latin, and a little Italian, plays well on the lute and harpsichord, sings from book at sight, draws the bow with greater strength than any man in England, and jousts marvelously. Believe me, he is in every respect a most accomplished Prince; and I, who have now seen all the sovereigns in Christendom, and last of all these two of France and England in such great state, might well rest content." Venetian ambassador to Henry's court

Neither message was intended to be seen by the king; the first is a private message, the second is the official report of the Venetian ambassador to his government. Henry was indeed well thought of in his youth. The Venetian ambassador tells his Doge that the king is a great archer. Note that the Venetian does not think archery is a dishonorable skill - he ranks it with languages, music, and jousting. And he is a foreigner, not an Englishman.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Anna Comnena an account or two of arrows piercing shields and armor, but she was extremely prone to hyperbole.

Here's another one:

Quote:
Even though on that day he only pretended to aim properly at the Latins, yet if a reckless and impudent Latin not only aimed several arrows at them up above, but also seemed to be shouting out insults in his own tongue, than the Caesar did indeed stretch his bow at him. And the arrow did not leap from his hand in vain, but pierced through the long shield and the corselet of mail and pinned the man's arm to his side.

Of course, she also claimed Frankish shields would stop any arrow:

Quote:
For he knew that the Franks were difficult to wound, or rather, practically invulnerable, thanks to their breastplates and coats of mail. Therefore he considered shooting at them useless and quite senseless. For the Frankish weapon of defence is this coat of mail, ring plaited into ring, and the iron fabric is such excellent iron that it repels arrows and keeps the wearer's skin unhurt. An additional weapon of defence is a shield which is not round, but a long shield, very broad at the top and running out to a point, hollowed out slightly inside, but externally smooth and gleaming with a brilliant boss of molten brass. Consequently any arrow, be it Scythian or Persian, or even discharged by the arms of a giant, would glint off such a shield and hark back to the sender.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen;

Very interesting quote, I wonder what she meant by:

" In the middle of the string is a socket, a cylindrical kind of cup fitted to the string itself, and about as long as an arrow of considerable size which reaches from the string to the very middle of the bow; and through this arrows of many sorts are shot out. "

Can't figure that out in the context of what one normally sees on crossbow ? Translation problems ? Cylindrical cup could be the lock NUT ( If that is the right word ? ) or some sort of bolt holder / guide used at that time that we don't know anything about ?

Oh, as a side note about period descriptions and their reliability using a current example: A few days a go a British reporter in a news story about being personally caught in a firefight quoted a soldier telling her that the muzzle blast of a .50 machinegun can kill you even if the projectile doesn't even touch you ? So how close does the enemy have to be to the muzzle for this to happen ? Now, I can believe that any wound by a .50 bullet might kill you even if it hit you in some normally survivable place ! So, if someone uses this news story a thousand years from now as a primary source they might get a very bizarre idea about what a .50 machine gun can do or not do.

So, side note aside, the quote is very informative but like all " witness accounts " there can be errors or exaggerations as well as reliable information. ( Just a general observation, and nothing critical specific to this quote or Glen's post, just something that I was thinking about anyway. Big Grin Cool )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

I constantly read between the lines of ancient chroniclers and the translations of their work. Their individual style does still tend to survive in many cases but many translations themselves show error in transcription.

While some of the written and drawn evidence can be used to fill in some gaps, it is the physical evidence that seems to win debate.
What is odd at times is that some will often summarily dismiss the written and art, yet embrace it if it speaks for their case.

I had started a thread in off-topic about reading such chronicles for the pleasure of sharing a writers style but wishing the ability to be able to translate them from first hand observation. We are left with the work others have shared of these.

As to the build of the crossbow written about, I'm somewhat at a loss as well except to think that the socket might be more of a slotted tube (ie. not attached to the string), as described of other bows. Blackmore, although he includes the same quote from the crusades, does not explain the bow further.

Benjamin,

Yes, absolutely she has a style. I find very few truly technical and objective writings, outside of stuff like the other pages I've posted of UK history records. I'm sure other countries have similar (like the U.S. Library of Congress page) but I spend more time on the UK site. Older documents are out there online and even the UK stuff can be challenging because of the changes in language. Lath instead of prod, French being the language of the court, stuff like that.

Cheers

GC
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, absolutely she has a style.

Maybe it's just a Byzantine literary convention, but there's no I way can take stuff like this serious:

Quote:
Such an arrow has been known to pierce a bronze statue, and if it hits the wall of a very large town, the point of the arrow either protrudes on the inner side or it buries itself in the middle of the wall and is lost.

She also wrote that a Frank on horseback "would even make a hole in the walls of Babylon."
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
Yes, absolutely she has a style.

Maybe it's just a Byzantine literary convention, but there's no I way can take stuff like this serious:

Quote:
Such an arrow has been known to pierce a bronze statue, and if it hits the wall of a very large town, the point of the arrow either protrudes on the inner side or it buries itself in the middle of the wall and is lost.

She also wrote that a Frank on horseback "would even make a hole in the walls of Babylon."

All depends on how thick the wall of the bronze statue is: Most bronze statues are cast hollow and piercing one might not be that difficult.

Getting buried in a wall sounds possible also depending on the wall material: Sun baked brick should be easy but I don't know if that was still being used in the Medieval era in the middle east ? Babylonian yes, Medieval ??? And even that would usually have a covering layer of baked brick.

Protruding the other side of a wall ? Again, would depend on the wall: A wooden wall even many inches thick maybe, but certainly not a 3 foot thick stone wall !

What I think we can believe is that the Byzantines were impressed by the power of heavy crossbows but the specifics are mostly hyperbole.

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think some of it is bad translation, some of it third or fourth hand description. It is not unlike Walsingham rewriting earlier history and his own clerical/political bent when writing contemporary accounts. What I've read of Froissart translations comes off a little tabloid as well.
Compare Froissart and Walsingham discussing the last decades of the 14th century:lol:

Even with all of that, it's surely not all entirely fiction and fancy.
That's when two, or more perspectives of the same incidents can be really helpful.

Cheers

GC
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Jean Thibodeau"]
Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:

What I think we can believe is that the Byzantines were impressed by the power of heavy crossbows but the specifics are mostly hyperbole.

Perhaps the "Frank on horseback" is a figure of speech describing the power of a heavy cavalry charge. Taking a metaphorical turn of phrase literally is something to be wary of when reading such a text.
Rod.
Carl Scholer

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the archer stigma thing, I almost forgot to add that in the battle for a castle at Joppa during the third crusade King Richard the 1st wielded a crossbow against the Turks while storming the beaches with his men. His use of the crossbow was considered heroic by the chronicler.

Last edited by Carl Scholer on Thu 06 Jul, 2006 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Scholer wrote:
On the archer stigma thing, I almost forgot to add that in the battle for a castle at Joppa during the third crusade King Richard the 3rd wielded a crossbow against the Turks while storming the beaches with his men. His use of the crossbow was considered heroic by the chronicler.

Well, anything a King does get praise but the fact that he used a crossbow is still significant. Oh, Richard may simply have been indulging in " playing " with crossbows and may have simply shared the same fascination we have with them today.
And being the King .........." It's good to be the King " As Mel Brook's said often in one of his films.

Maybe the " stigma " discussion went too far if it exaggerated the repugnance to the weapons and their users way to much.

For Knights the use of missile weapons would not fit in with all their training and emphasis on personal honour and prowess of up close fighting so the crossbow and bow would be mostly something useful to have in the hand of their retainers and something to dislike having to face. Even more IF they posed a threat to their superiority on the battlefield against less well armoured troops. The social status of all non-noble fighters may have been fairly low in all cases and not only archers or crossbowman: Brigands or Coustilliers, named after their armour or weapon usually carried, had a bad reputation among the peasants or townsmen who were often the victims of predation during wars and in between wars when these were unemployed.

Just NOT the gentleman's weapon of choice but having some competence in the personal use of missile weapons would just be a part of being a fully trained warrior. ( Maybe )

In comparison other warrior cultures like the Japanese had the bow as their primary weapon early on with the sword being their backup weapon. In battle the Yari or Naginata would take precedence over the sword as the first line weapon.

With the British a degree of national pride should have made archers more respectable after a number of victories against the French. The French would have little reason to be glad to see an English archer.

The French did develop their own core of archers that seemed to be part of the structure of the full Lance as a formation and whose status socially was at the Man- at - arms level I believe and may have included nobles in their ranks.

I come to the " personal " conclusion that the esteem or lack of esteem of archers / crossbowmen is not a simple black and white thing and could vary regionally and over time. At the time of Henry VIII, archery would have started to be nostalgia for past glories and I think there is something to the idea that Henry VIII was the beginning of archery as a sport for
" gentlemen "

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I think some of it is bad translation, some of it third or fourth hand description. It is not unlike Walsingham rewriting earlier history and his own clerical/political bent when writing contemporary accounts. What I've read of Froissart translations comes off a little tabloid as well.

I think Comnena's more prone to hyperbole than Froissart or any other source I've seen used this field. But perhaps I'm too used to reading serious 16th-century military texts.
Alexis Bataille

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i am writing a game.
I need a % of success for an action.
a warrior with a shield (80 cm diameter) running against an archer while knowing he must protect from one arrow.
The archer is good and trained and he try to lose a arrow in head, legs or whatever is going out of shield.
what is the chance of success of the archer ?
I know this question seems stupid and there is many things to take account, light, morale, slope on hill or flat etc, let's ignore all of that plzz Happy
Just tell me what is on you mind Happy
have a good day !
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 27 Oct, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Realistically, the chance of taking out the attacker before he gets to you is practically nil. A single arrow, even if it hits, is unlikely to drop the attacker before he gets in hand-to-hand range. Even a mortal arrow wound often takes several minutes to incapacitate. Your arrow would need to hit a place that can incapacitate immediately like the eye or throat. There is a reason why archers were grouped in close formations and shot in volleys, there is a reason why they were protected by men with spears, and there is a reason why they all carried back up weapons. If the attacker is already close enough that you only have enough time to shoot one arrow then you have just enough time to drop your bow and draw your hand weapon. The odds are too low to risk shooting one last arrow.

Out of all the games I've read, GURPS has the most realistic treatment of weapons and armour without being unplayable. Get a hold of Low-Tech and Martial Arts if you want some ideas.
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/martialarts/
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/low-tech/

Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen and Sword Books

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Warbows, Crossbows, & Shields
Page 7 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: