Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Settler's Day Rhode Island September 23-24 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Settler's Day Rhode Island September 23-24         Reply with quote

Each September, there is an event called Settler's Day at the Manville Sportsmen's Club in Lincoln, Rhode Island. Todd Pelletier first invited me in 2003 and for a fourth year, we will be getting together for this.

This is an open invitation to drop by. We put up some tables and lay out swords. More are always welcome. Todd has been graciously bringing mats to cut and we spend a good bit of time talking with the public visitors as well.

http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=651635

http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=651694

There are some other activities at the event. Archery, hawk tossing and the rifle range are some other steady participatory stations. There is typically a portable rock climbing rig but it was only set up for the first day last year. Rotating bands on a stage and some food/drink. Each year has been a bit different as far as other things to do. I don't know what to expect this year. Some crafts vendors typically round things out.

Dennis Boas came by on the Sunday last year and brought his pretty Cashen swords. Erik Mikkelsen came by both days with a sword he had cast fittings for. If you do come with swords and have a real load, let the orange vest guys in the parking area know and you should be able to drive right in. There is a shuttle bus from the main parking area as well. As well, if you know you will be coming with a lot of items, let me know here or through PM so we can snag enough tables. I have no idea how many mats Todd has incoming. If you want to cut, we'll try to save some if we know you are coming. We can always improvise trash targets or make a noodle run. I may bring some bundles of cane from the back yard.

I am usually on site by 9am both days and we are usually there until 5-6ish

Admission to the event itself is free. Some of the other activities are pay for play (like the .50 cal Barrett) The link below includes a map and directions. It is about half an hour south from I-90. The event was not listed on the calendar as of last week but Todd pmed me this morning and it is a go for September 23rd and 24th.

http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/

Cheers

Hotspur; I know it's weeks away but like planning ahead
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All the ducks seemed to be lined up on this. Todd has indicated the mats are in, so it is just a matter of a few weeks.

We always enjoy meeting more folk from the area. This never seems to generate a lot of interest but is an opportunity to chat, cut and talk to the public. There are some other living history folk about at these. Buckskinners and pioneer types. Some local tribes had attended and pow wowed in the past but there seems to be a scheduling conflict for them.

Long range weather looks good in the almanac, so I'll go with that.
There is cover from possible rain but clear autumnal air works better for all. Indian Summer is ok too but we did bake one year.

C'mon down, if you'd like.

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Settler's Day Rhode Island September 23-24
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic