Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Preferred Scabbard carving tool(s)? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al;

Would a used but resharpened box cutted blade insert used by itself i.e. just the blade not with in the box cutter make a good scraper ?

A regular sharp knife blade can also do a scraping job but I would guess that one wants a perfectly strait edge and a square corner is useful where one wants a clean 90° transition from bottom to side wood on the inside of the scabbard.

So one would want a rectangular piece of hardened steel sharpened on one long edge ???

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Jean,

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Al;

Would a used but resharpened box cutted blade insert used by itself i.e. just the blade not with in the box cutter make a good scraper ?

A regular sharp knife blade can also do a scraping job but I would guess that one wants a perfectly strait edge and a square corner is useful where one wants a clean 90° transition from bottom to side wood on the inside of the scabbard.

So one would want a rectangular piece of hardened steel sharpened on one long edge ???

Have a look at the URL I posted in my reply to Greyson.

What you want on a scraper is an extremely crisp 90-degree angle with a burr on it rather than a knife-sharp edge. The burr on the edge of the scraper acts like a tiny plane blade. You can scrape with a knife edge but the effect is very different. A properly set up cabinet scraper will take curls of wood off like a plane will, whereas a sharp knife will just scrape dust off the surface of the wood.

This url gives instructions on how to sharpen a cabinet scraper: http://members.aol.com/illinewek/faqs/scraper.htm

They don't have to be rectangular, though the curved ones can be a bit of a pig to sharpen properly Worried\

Hope this helps.

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al;

Thanks and very informative.

Sort of like the wire edge you get when sharpening a knife, except that you want this wire edge: With a knife the last thing you do is strop away the wire edge because it dulls the blade when it folds over.

So, if I understood the wire edge is on a sharp but very obtuse 90° edge: makes sense as this would be a strong wear resistant edge.

More of a theoretical discussion for me but very good info for Greyson. Cool

Scrapers are also useful tools when making a bow I believe. Question

Al Muckart

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Al;

Thanks and very informative.

Sort of like the wire edge you get when sharpening a knife, except that you want this wire edge: With a knife the last thing you do is strop away the wire edge because it dulls the blade when it folds over.

So, if I understood the wire edge is on a sharp but very obtuse 90° edge: makes sense as this would be a strong wear resistant edge.

More of a theoretical discussion for me but very good info for Greyson. Cool

Scrapers are also useful tools when making a bow I believe. Question

Glad to be of assistance.

You've got exactly the right idea about the wire edge.

Scrapers are ubiquitous in practically every pre-abrasive-technology type of woodworking, from cabinetmaking to riflemaking. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to discover that they were used by scabbardmakers in period.

--
Al.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In earlier posts, Jean Thibodeau provided a link to Highland Hardware, and then Greyson Brown said that he found Luthiers finger planes in the online catalog. I found that Highland Hardware also carries cabinet scrapers. I have never used either of these types of tools before (even though my grandfather was actually a cabinet maker!), so this is very interesting. I am looking forward to trying these things out!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 06 Sep, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
In earlier posts, Jean Thibodeau provided a link to Highland Hardware, and then Greyson Brown said that he found Luthiers finger planes in the online catalog. I found that Highland Hardware also carries cabinet scrapers. I have never used either of these types of tools before (even though my grandfather was actually a cabinet maker!), so this is very interesting. I am looking forward to trying these things out!

Lots of neat things on their site like this: http://www.woodnewsonline.com/

They seem to offer on site woodworking seminars and contests: Not very useful for me as I live far away, but people reasonnably close or seriously motivated to learn woodworking techniques that they would travel there might find these events worth looking into.

Anyway, they did give good fast service with my renaissance wax order, so I don't mind giving them a plug.

Real glad if the link is proving useful and interesting.

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 07 Sep, 2006 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info and links. I think I will try to find some material suitable for making a small scraper. I'll probably pass on the finger planes if the scraper does what I want.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Thu 07 Sep, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Greyson,

Greyson Brown wrote:
Thanks for all the info and links. I think I will try to find some material suitable for making a small scraper. I'll probably pass on the finger planes if the scraper does what I want.

I'm not sure if you've worked this out from the discussion so far, so my apologies if I'm pointing out the obvious.

Finger planes are a stock-removal tool (albeit a fairly small fine one) and scrapers are really a finishing tool. They do take material off, but they do it in such tiny amounts that they're only really useful for finishing and fine-tuning. They are *excellent* for fine-tuning the fit of a slightly tight core though.

You probably could shape an entire core with scrapers alone, but it would take a really long time Happy

--
Al.
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 08 Sep, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Hi Greyson,

Greyson Brown wrote:

I'm not sure if you've worked this out from the discussion so far, so my apologies if I'm pointing out the obvious.

Finger planes are a stock-removal tool (albeit a fairly small fine one) and scrapers are really a finishing tool. They do take material off, but they do it in such tiny amounts that they're only really useful for finishing and fine-tuning. They are *excellent* for fine-tuning the fit of a slightly tight core though.

You probably could shape an entire core with scrapers alone, but it would take a really long time Happy

I should have figured that out, but I hadn't quite realized the distinction. Thanks. I have shaped both sides of the core pretty well with my chisels, so I think the scraper is really what I need at this point. That and to sharpen my chisels a bit...

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Preferred Scabbard carving tool(s)?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: