Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > High quality Replica Rapiers- whose are the very best? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Blair Dawson Calvin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: High quality Replica Rapiers- whose are the very best?         Reply with quote

As a newcomer to this site with a love of rapiers.........................who is the best manufacturers of replicas in your opinion?

Thank you,

Blair.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try this thread- http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71533

Last edited by Justin King on Sun 17 Sep, 2006 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: High quality Replica Rapiers- whose are the very best?         Reply with quote

Mr Blair Dawson Calvin wrote:
As a newcomer to this site with a love of rapiers.........................who is the best manufacturers of replicas in your opinion?

Thank you,

Blair.

I suppose "the best" depends on what you would want a rapier for. However, the first manufacturer that I think of is Arms & Armor. Here is a link to their rapier lineup: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/rapiers.html. I have one of their Gustav Vasa rapiers, and am very pleased with it.

Another manufacturer that comes highly regarded is Darkwood Armoury: http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/, though I don't have personal experience with their wares.

Please have a look at the reviews section of this site for hands-on reviews of specific pieces from specific manufacturers.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Blair Dawson Calvin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply, Steve,

I had heard of a maker by the name of Phoenix arms who did superlative rapiers.........................are they stiill around?

I would not be using the swords per se, merely for display, though I would want a sharpened edge and a weapon that could stand up to combat if needed.

Thanks and regards,

Blair
Blair Dawson Calvin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Justin.

I shall have a look at the link.

Thanks and regards,

Blair
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mr Blair Dawson Calvin wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply, Steve,

I had heard of a maker by the name of Phoenix arms who did superlative rapiers.........................are they stiill around?

I would not be using the swords per se, merely for display, though I would want a sharpened edge and a weapon that could stand up to combat if needed.

Thanks and regards,

Blair

You may be thinking of Phoenix Metal Creations -http://www.phoenixmetalcreations.com/. Erik Stevenson, indeed, has a superlative reputation as a cutler (he used blades from other makers). I have seen and handled at least one of his pieces, and it lived up to his reputation. However, as noted on the website, he has mostly moved on to other pursuits.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Blair Dawson Calvin

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks once again, that is the name of the cutler. When you say moved onto other pursuits, would you suggest a phone call to him to clarify things?

Regards,

Blair.
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From what it says on his site he is not taking any custom orders at this time, although he is still working on some previous backlog pieces.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Blair,
Welcome to myArmoury.com. I've moved your thread to out Off-Topic forum, which is a better venue for it. The Features Talk forum is for "Discussion and feedback on articles, essays, reviews, contests, and other features of myArmoury.com." Since you are not asking about specific items or companies, but rather for general buying advice, the Off-topic forum is a good place for it. Historical Arms Talk would be better if you were asking for advice on particular makers.

As far as everyone has been told, Erik Stevenson is no longer taking orders. As far as I know, the only work he is doing is to clear out his queue. It's unfortunate, because he is a talented cutler.

Arms & Armor is a great choice for production rapiers, and they have made custom rapiers as well. Darkwood is a good choice as well. Del Tin also makes rapiers. Darkwood often uses their blades. As someone else noted, our Reviews pages is worth a look. We have over 150 product reviews to give advice.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > High quality Replica Rapiers- whose are the very best?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic