Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lets see this year was:

Albion Talhoffer
Albion Reeve
Albion Liechtenauer
Darkwood Armory 1560's English Baskethilt
Custom A&A Partisan

I think I'm done for now or I won't have a wife anymore. But if Money falls into my lap, I'd have to go for either an Albion Svante (damn you Mike for letting me handle one!) or a custom basket like the ones here by Eljay or Vice Evans. I absolutely love early baskets.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Sean Belair
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i'm making my next sword so price is relativly low. my next perchase peace will probubly be about $400 for an albion miestro line when it comes out. but this is in the super long run (college budget). the frat i'm pleging just droped about 300 dollors worth of dues on me all of which was pland for Matuls to get my 15 century burgundian kit started. no living history for me...yet
im also making a rondel for myself that is all scrap so i'll get away withought breaking the bank
Colin F.

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another one on a student budget, I'm not sure what to get next really. I've got a design I'm tweaking slowly but surely towards what I want made (a 'historically inspired' sabre/cutlass/basket hilt something or other) that represents all the various branches/nationalities of my family history, but its going to cost a fair amount I guess, so i've set up a savings account purely for swords...I just have to be paitient until i've got enough! so I think about $700 maybe, but hopefully less. Have to wait and see.

The last one I got, a Mark Vickers' hand and a half, made me very nearly bankrupt...but only nearly... It's such a good sword that I wouldn't give it up, esp. as it's my first 'real' sword.

Melchett - "In short, a German spy is giving away every one of our battle plans."
Cpt. Darling - "You look surprised, Blackadder."
Edmund - "I cerainly am, sir. I didn't realise we had any battle plans."
Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Change of plans over the past few months for me, just like a lot of you guys. Was going for the Albion Munich but that got changed to the Gallowglass which I HOPE shows up sometime soon, HA! The only other purchase I see for now is a special project Rob Miller at Castle Keep and I are working on. That's going to be around $2000 and at least a year away.

Have to say that after seeing Patrick's Savante and Ballock dagger, that man is going to be "stylin". Cool Laughing Out Loud

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 30 Sep, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I guess if you configure together the Edward III Sword with custom hollow grinding from Arms & Armor and then the Trident Line Scabbard and Belt from Russ Ellis with the full blown nothing held back all out perks nothing spared, I am figuring something approaching $2,500.00 or there abouts, give or take.
All I know is that if this is the only acquisition of 2007, it's 1st class all the way and the limo is going to be a Rolls!

In other words I told Russ I want absolutely nothing spared on the scabbard and belt, I have not yet inquired to any close estimates because the estimated finish time for everything is somewhere around August. Obviously there are not going to be jewels on the sword or scabbard Laughing Out Loud ! But I did tell Russ that a person does not get a Mercedes with Chevy money and I want a Mercedes and I am willing to pay.

This acquisition is going to be my all time pride and joy in celebration of having made it a half century, provided I survive till then Laughing Out Loud !

Bob
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh my... Every time I look into this thread, I think about getting a second job. Laughing Out Loud

With my rather restrained funds, yet feeling the need for another sword, I have decided to order a J002 from

www.sword-gur.com which will hopefully give me a lighter, yet durable and affordable piece for practicing WMA.

But... something in me is just itching for a good, lover mid-price sharp longsword.
I'm thinking about one of three options for christmas, depending on the money I have at that time.

- A sharp Pavel Moc Embleton longsword
- A 1506 Swedish longsword from Angus Trim or
- ( Unlikely, but THAT would be something ) an Albion Talhoffer

Let's see, how payed overtime transforms into a sword... Happy
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm shooting for the $700-$900 range. I'm currently considering the German Bastard Sword from A&A or a Castellan from Albion. I'm going to the blade show in NYC in November so I'll get to finally handle all these swords that I've been looking at so I can get more of an idea of what I want to get next.

Of course, random sales discounts from Albion may completely alter my decision Laughing Out Loud

Ultimately I want to get the Munich, and I can't wait to see how the Museum Line piece from Albion is going to look for the original!

www.addisondelisle.com
Micha Hofmann

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Today i have finally made my decision.

My christmas sword 2006 will be an Atrim 1506 longsword for 460$ + shipping.

This, my Sword-Gur-blade and probably a replacement for my broken saber will be enough steel for the next couple of months.

Then I'll probably have an Albion for christmas 2007.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, It's been awhile since I've bought a sword. A&A's Lombardy Rapier is looking very appealing for my next purchase. Either it, or a custom smallsword.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm hoping A&A does a holiday sale.

Regardless I want their Hungarian Axe and Fetcherspiel next (figure $600 -ish). Not sure after that but I'm think its time to acquire some bits and pieces of armor. Maybe a rapier at some point.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My next sword is still the Arms & Armor Edward III Sword, however I have dropped the custom hollow grinding from the order and there is a very specific reason for this, which I shall explain in detail.
On page 8 in the Arms & Armor Catalogue in the lower left it reads: "Your Edward III is not just a superb replica of the original, but a splendid piece in it's own right" Ewart Oakeshott

I had read this before of course, but in reading this again recently in preparation to officially placing my order I took a special notice of the statement after the comma! "But a splendid piece in it's OWN right"

The original Edward III Sword has a hollow grind, thus reducing the heft of the sword and putting into play all the affects of a hollow grind. Maintaining and creating a superior edge while reducing the weight of the blade. To be extremely brief about it. Besides, I am no swordsmith and am not qualified to write an analogy of the hollow grind.

The point here is this, if I were to have the sword hollow ground, then it would be just that, a replica of the original and the second part of the statement by Ewart Oakeshott would not apply to my sword! I would not have an Arms & Armor Edward III Sword that is a splendid piece in it's own right! As profoundly stated by Ewart Oakeshott!

Having comprehended this and the fact that I would not have the heft that this sword is renown for, I immediately and resolutely changed my mind and called Craig that very minute! I also read this statement to Craig and told him that having read this statement by Ewart Oakeshott I was absolutely positive beyond all doubt that I wanted the Arms & Armor Edward III Sword, exactly the way Arms & Armor normally makes it, but I want it as sharp as possible! Evil Laughing Out Loud

So, the price point on my next sword which is paid for in full is $855.00

Thanks be to the God of the Swords that I read this statement by the Dean of Swords! I would have cussed myself to no end over this one! Eek!

As far as the belt and scabbard, nothing has or will change, this particular Trident Line Scabbard and Belt from
http://www.tritonworks.com/ is going to be decked out like a Rolls Royce done Russ Ellis style, I have no idea the cost but there will not be one chirp of protest from me.

This project is my showpiece! Big Grin

I "Love" hearing about my fellow "Knights of the Sword" and they're next spiritual fire that calls upon their hearts! Your next proud piece is very important to me! I personally get great pleasure in hearing about other Knight's acquisitions!
Are we not all Knights in our hearts?

This is one fantastic thread Exclamation

Most Sincerely!

Bob
J F. McBrayer

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My next sword purchase will be my first. I'm on a bit more than a student budget, but I'm also a notorious tightwad. I'm a beginning Fioreist, so my choice of swords is based on that tradition. My first purchase is certainly going to be an A&A Spada da Zhogo, at $390 (the $30 difference from the training grade is just so little as to seem like a false economy, even to someone as cheap as me). I need a good blunt much more than I need a sharp, and I've heard nothing but good about all of A&A's training swords. My first sharp is going to be in the same price range ($350 to $400), and I haven't decided exactly which I want. It will probably be either the Albion Squire line 15th century longsword, or an Atrim longsword. Probably buying the first around Yule and the next the next quarter.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I'm hoping A&A does a holiday sale.

Regardless I want their Hungarian Axe and Fetcherspiel next (figure $600 -ish). Not sure after that but I'm think its time to acquire some bits and pieces of armor. Maybe a rapier at some point.

My best laid sword buying plans turned into a ARMA Bohemia Longsword, Scabbard, Suspension, and Sallet instead of an A&A Fetcherspiel and Hungarian Axe. Although I intend to order the Hungarian Axe sooner rather than later (maybe this year yet), the Fetcherspiel probably has to wait on hold for a while now.

At least I did purchase a piece of armor this time.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Hugh Fuller

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After some years of saving up a bit here and a bit there, I have ordered one of Patrick Barta's superb swords, his number 118 replica of the Abingdon Sword. It lists for 1600EUROS and there is a 400EURO option of having the hilt made like the original with silver plating laid over the engraved iron as opposed to the electro-plated version. I also asked about an upgrade on the scabbard and he said that it would cost another 200EUROS. We now have a total of 2200EUROS, or nerarly $2900 US at current exchange rates. I need give some really serious thought to those options.
Hugh
Still trying to walk in the Light
Please see 1 John 1:5
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh,

Exchange rates are certainly not as kind to those of us in the US as they once were.

I can remember when buying with the dollar effectively meant a nice little discount on overseas purchases. Not so much the case anymore, which should be good for people making product in the US. Would be interesting to find out if its thinned out US business for some of the European firms at all.

Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I want the Albion "Dane" so badly I can taste it. Fortunately since it is still in development it means I have more time to save up my pennies. $1100 is a large chunk of change for me, But there is something about that sword that calls to me.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hugh Fuller wrote:
After some years of saving up a bit here and a bit there, I have ordered one of Patrick Barta's superb swords, his number 118 replica of the Abingdon Sword. It lists for 1600EUROS and there is a 400EURO option of having the hilt made like the original with silver plating laid over the engraved iron as opposed to the electro-plated version. I also asked about an upgrade on the scabbard and he said that it would cost another 200EUROS. We now have a total of 2200EUROS, or nerarly $2900 US at current exchange rates. I need give some really serious thought to those options.

My next sword will be coming from Patrick as well. The order has been changed from what it originally was and we're discussing a project he's very excited about making. He should be starting on it next month after a two year wait. Price point has yet to be finalized.
Marc-Antoine Jean

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We once bought an Arma Bohemia Sallet. The piece is really beautiful but the metal on the helm is quite thin.

But.....that is an old thread....I never had in mind before how much I'll spend on arms and armous in the year. I was just calculating that today, that is really frightening.
I'll have a two hander made by L'Archevêque - 800$
New fully raised high carbon steel german sallet - 2000$
My armour suit needs repair due to extended use of last year...200-300 $

shit.....there is a lot of money in that hobby :P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Joe on your ARMA Bohemian Longsword with scabbard and suspension and Sallet!
Hugh that Patrick Barta 118 Abingdon Sword with Silver plating sounds like it's going to be Awesome, I would go for the upgraded scabbard too!
Allen, that Albion Dane beckons me as well but it's not looking very possible in the forseeable future, so I ask that you take great pleasure in your Dane especially for me!
Hey Patrick, it's finally down to "Production Time" eh! Soon the "TIC TOC TIC TOC" torture will commence! Laughing Out Loud
Mark it sounds like an expensive but a very rewarding year ahead for you!

Lots of really great goals being sought and accomplished here! Well, I am still waiting on that Edward III Sword, which will not be here till early January sometime, I am in the boat waiting along with 4 other Sword Fanatic Colleagues who also are dying to get they're hands on this exceptionally beautiful sword Exclamation

In June sometime or there abouts Russ Ellis will be making me a Plaque Belt and Trident Line Scabbard, both of which I am going full throttle on and the plaques are going to be the round flowers done in gold. There is no price limit on this commission, which is for the Edward III Sword, both of which are in celebration of my making it 50 years on this planet without someone having taken me out, in spite of myself Exclamation Laughing Out Loud Eek! Laughing Out Loud
One other item on the list is the "Black Prince" sword from Arms & Armor with a custom awl point on it, since I cannot possibly get that gorgeous Albion "Dane" Exclamation Cry

Sincerely,

Bob
Trent Stevens

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: intresting!         Reply with quote

My taste is allso in the 750-1000k range.
mostly because my wants are all tinkers, albions and Atrims with or without kit.

Trenty!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Price point of your next sword purchase
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: