Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: German Bastard Sword Giveaway!Contest
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reed Goodwin wrote:
My second sword. I by no means meant the MRL sword was better. I have to admit, though, the wording was a little iffy.
Reed

That's what I figured. I know MRL can put out some good ones among the lot, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jason M. K.

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone done any cutting with this sword before, if they have one? Would love to know how it handles.

Jason M. K.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 02 Mar, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason M. K. wrote:
Anyone done any cutting with this sword before, if they have one? Would love to know how it handles.

Jason M. K.

Hi Jason,
In a word, FANTASTIC. In Nathan's description of the contest you'll find links to two reviews of this sword, one by Patrick Kelly, and one by myself, and we both are quite fond of this particular sword.
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow...what an awesome contest! Big Grin Big Grin
Quote:
There's a lot of really amazing contests coming up. This one is truly worthy of our 1-year anniversary. The others? Well, we'll have to find a good excuse for them... cause they're gonna knock your socks off, too.

If that's the case, considering this contest, I can't wait to see them, especially if any of them involve winning one of the Albion Next Gen swords Wink!

Thanks Nathan and Arms and Armour for this contest!

Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Hedi Ben Nun

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

a very nice sword' good luck to all!
Sylvain Dionne

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: contest         Reply with quote

Hi

It will look good next to my Albion Crecy grete swerd!!!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All this great feedback makes this totally worth all the work. Thanks tons. Really.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love this sword. I have cut with one several times and it performs stupendously. It's a real looker as well. I've got my fingers crossed....
Constant and true.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
I love this sword. I have cut with one several times and it performs stupendously. It's a real looker as well. I've got my fingers crossed....

I absolutely love it, too, and I'm really having a hard time knowing I have to give it up!! I was just swinging it around today, in fact..

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And for anybody that has never seen this piece in person, it's a huge sword. It may be called a 'bastard' sword but I would only wield it with two hands. The weight when held with both hands is surprisingly light, though.
Constant and true.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Hmm...         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
And for anybody that has never seen this piece in person, it's a huge sword. It may be called a 'bastard' sword but I would only wield it with two hands. The weight when held with both hands is surprisingly light, though.

No, but I would honestly love to find out! Wink

With over 500 people in the contest, I'm not going to hold my breath. But I can say that, if the world decides to take a turn for the apocalyptic and Hell does freeze over, this would certainly be the best sword possible as a first REAL, historically-accurate sword (I've owned a KC29 katana, a Windlass singlehander, and a few CASI-PP/Vaciacraft sword-shaped-crowbars to this date).

It would be an honor to wield such a weapon made by the passionate, good-natured craftsmen of A&A.

In all seriousness, simply by reading their posts, I can tell they love doing what they're doing. As with cooking, music, and the rest of the arts, there is no doubt in my mind that the quality and character of the product is a direct reflection of the quality and character of the artisan.

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This sword was the first European sword I purchased and after getting it I sold my katana. I've never looked back. It's an outstanding piece of work for sure.

Nathan's not kidding though guys this is one awesome contest but he has other very awesome things lined up. I would heartily encourage that you gentlemen and ladies support the manufacturers who are generously providing these prizes. Small shops like the folks at Arms and Armor (and most other good smiths and manufacturers) live on very narrow margins. This sword being given away is a sacrifice on their part.

Additionally Nathan spends an inordinate amount of time working on this site. Kudos to him as well.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Ken Moeller

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what a beautifus sword anyone who had it would be a lucky person indeed
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Impatiently waiting to here the news in April, thanks Nathan and A&A, it's well worth the painful wait! Laughing Out Loud
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
Impatiently waiting to here the news in April, thanks Nathan and A&A, it's well worth the painful wait! Laughing Out Loud

The wait for this contest may be a bit less painful, since it's less than 2 weeks out!

Donald Lepping

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great contest! I still don't understand why everyone calls this a two-hander, outside the fact is is in A&A's own literature on the piece.
"Of course, you realize that all European swords weighed 50 pounds and required 3 men to use properly, right? .....Right?"
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Donald Lepping wrote:
Great contest! I still don't understand why everyone calls this a two-hander, outside the fact is is in A&A's own literature on the piece.

Even most of us larger lads realize that once you have this much weight in motion that it really takes two to control. The balance feels quite good because of all that hilt weight but it is a serious handful.

A Del Tin 5157 is a smidge longer and weighs more than a pound less.

Cheers

GC
David Sadd

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: You guys rock!         Reply with quote

Thanks for hosting this little contest thing. Actually it's a HUGE contest thing! What a concept: Give away something that people actually WANT! lol.

-david
Marcus G.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Mar, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: YAY         Reply with quote

This is the coolest contest ever. I sure hope I win !!
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few reasons why this contest is so cool:

1. The contest results are not so far away in the future that you'll have forgotten about the contest.
2. Your odds of actually winning are excellent!
3. The sword, from reviews and descriptions, would be an outstanding addition to any of our collections.
4. Even If you don't win, the lucky one who does will most likely appreciate the sword as much as you would and that is a great thing in itself.

Best of luck to all, and thanks to Nathan and Arms & Armor!

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Contest: German Bastard Sword Giveaway!Contest
Page 3 of 4
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: