Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Bennison N wrote:
...which is also very beautiful...

And THAT is what is called an understatement.

Just look at the perfection of those appearantly simple but oh so difficult lines: that is two thousand five hundered years old.
These weapon makers KNEW what they were doing and were masters at doing it.

peter
Oh... Did I forget to put the maker's name in there? It was Ou Yezi and his pupil Ganjiang. They are credited with being the greatest swordmakers in Chinese history. He is said to have made a set of three swords for King Zhao of Chu State, and a set of five for King Goujian of Yue.

The set for King Zhao apparently came about because the King sent his foremost expert on swords, who was named Feng Huzi to place an order, upon hearing of the "magical" properties of Ou's weapons. At this time, Ou lived and had his forge in Longyuan, a mountainous part of Yue State. The reason the forge was here (and this will interest you Peter...) is because he thought the seven natural springs nearby resembled the seven stars (!) of the Big Dipper constellation, and because it was quiet and difficult to find. In typical Chinese fashion, it appears he did not share his secrets with anyone but Ganjiang, and wanted to keep it that way.

The three swords were apparently made with the following resources:
*Iron ore from Ci Shan (Mount Ci).
*Sharpening stone from Liang Shi Keng.
*Water from Jian Chi, a spring next to a 1000 year old Pine Tree.

The individual swords themselves were named like so:
*Longyuan (Dragon Well) - Described as having a shape that reaches for the highest mountain, and arriving in the deepest abyss.
*Gong Bu (Work Deployer) - Said to have had a distinct coarse pattern, resembling endless flowing water.
*Taia (Peaceful Relation or Tai Mountaintop) - The most famous of these three swords. I'll tell you what I know about it soon... It was said to have a pattern that "towered" and "thrived" like waves of flowing water.

Taia was said to be magical, and when King Zhao first received it, he was busy fighting the combined forces of Jin and Zheng States, who were besieiging a large Chu city, and had been doing so for a couple of years. It is said that he waved the sword immediately in the air to signal a counterattack, and his troop were so roused by this sight that they managed to break the seige and defeat the invading armies.

After this, King Zhao is said to have asked Feng Huzi how a metal sword could have the power to give his army such morale and courage, and Feng is said to have answered that the spirit of the metal combined with that of a great king could cause miracles. And that brings me to the next thing I know about Taia.

Records of the Grand Historian by Sima Quan, a famous Chinese historical text, says that Ying Zheng, or Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, founder of the Qin Dynasty, owned the Taia sword. Once again, it is said to have bestowed him and his armies with invinciblity. Archaeologists say it was buried with him, and expect to find it in the main burial chamber of his tomb in Xi'an, which was eletromagnetically located in 2003, but is still unopened.

Also... The Taia sword is the inspiration for Taia-Ki, a 15th century letter written to Tadaaki Ono, the leader of the Itto School of Swordsmanship. It was written by his spiritual teacher Soho Takuan, the Zen monk, who also taught spirituality to Miyamoto Musashi and Yagyu Munenori. The Taia sword is used as a metaphor for the perfect mindset for being a warrior.

Later on, I will talk about the other swords that Ou Yezi made for King Gou Jian, because I studied them too.
Very interesting and thank you for entering it.

Do you know from where and when this detailed information comes?

The celestial seven stars are part of taoist foundation so a link with swords/swordmaking, other 'magic', from the earliest beginnings seems logical.

I hope the located burial chamber will be left intact untill there is a NEED to excavate and thereby destroy this 'archieve'.

peter
I learnt the majority of this stuff from 5 years of studying Chinese language (Mandarin originally...) and culture at University, and of course from my obsessive compulsion to be an expert on the subject, and in the practise, of Chinese swordsmanship and history despite being of European and South Asian descent (along with Lebanese and Maori). I have a BA in it, as well as a DipLC in the Japanese equivalent. I have attended Tong Ji Daxue(Shanghai), Beijing Daxue (Beijing) and Waseda Daigaku (Tokyo) for study by exchange.

All my other studies have involved Asian women... Japanese Military Prostitutes, Burakumin, the 55 other kinds of Chinese people, Korean historical treatments of women... Blah, blah, blah... My two favourite things, swords and women...

I would also like to point out that I study, and attempt to adhere to,Taoist/Daoist principles, and have made "pilgrimages" to Wu Dang Shan, Hua Shan and Tai Shan, as well as visiting and training at Song Shan (Shaolin) temple five times. I learnt my slightly incorrect Bagua Jian by watching Master Liu at Wu Dang Golden Roof himself.

I think I can safely say that this information in even greater detail will be available from the Hubei Museum, located in Wuchang, Wuhan, Hubei Province, People's Republic of China. An excellent tourist destination for a lover of swords, as Gou Jian's sword and Fuchai's spearhead reside there.

Anyway... what I know about The Five Ou Yezi Swords of King Gou Jian of Yue...

Last edited by Bennison N on Sat 23 Feb, 2008 8:12 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ok... The 5 swords made for Gou Jian by Ou Yezi were:
* Yu Chang (Fish Guts)
*Sheng Ye (Defeats Evil)
*Ju Que (Giant)
*Chun Jun (Total Harmony)
*Zhan Lu (Wholesome Land of Bright and Clear (please don't exactly quote this...)) - Named after the area in which it was forged, and the most famous of the 5.

In 494 B.C., Gou Jian sent 3 of the 5, Zhan Lu, Sheng Ye and Yu Chang, to King Helu of Wu as an appeasement for losing his first war to Helu. Helu was well known as a collector of weapons, and this is why archaeologists assume Gou Jian sent the swords to him, as Helu was otherwise Gou Jian's greatest foe. This is where I point out that Sun Tzu (Sunzi) , the author of the all-famous Art of War, was Military Advisor to the Kings of Wu during this time.

It is said that the Zhan Lu sword itself decided King Helu was not a moral man, as one morning King Zhao of Chu (the original owner of the Taia sword...) apparently awoke to find it in his bed. Feng Huzi, who pops up all through this legend, was the one to explain to the King that it was one of Gou Jian's 5 Ou Yezi swords.

Now it is said that this sword was made by perfect control of nature. For example, the Ore (Tin and Copper are mentioned...) had appeared right when needed, the rain quenched the blade at exactly the right time, the gods sent wind to bellow the flame, a wise dragon manufactured the forge... In other words. this sword has been elevated a near godlike state in Chinese legend. Ou Yezi supposedly tempered the metal one thousand times to make the set of 5...

The Zhan Lu sword has belonged to the following Chinese historical figures:
*King Gou Jian of Yue - Spring and Autumn Period (722-481B.C.)
*King Helu of Wu - Spring and Autumn Period (722-481B.C.)
*General Zhou Chu of Jin Dynasty (One of the first couple of FOUR Jin Dynasties... 265-420A.D. roughly)
*Yue Fei of Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279A.D.)

Powers the Zhan Lu sword is said to have:
*The essence of all metal :wtf: .
*Glows in the dark :lol: .
*Shines in the daylight, brighter than the Sun or Moon.
*Can roll into a coil or extend by itself. (Hmmm... :p )
*Gives the viewer a feeling of life when unsheathed.
*Gives the viewer a sense of awe when sheathed. (The most believable one...)
*So sharp, it can be stabbed into a deep pool of water and emerge dry :lol: .

When King Helu died by King Gou Jian's hand, Fuchai had his extensive sword collection, which included Sheng Ye and Yu Chang, buried with his father and the people who built the tomb were killed to keep the secret. This kind of mass murder would have meant nothing to Fuchai, who apparently may have forced Gou Jian to eat his faeces during the King of Yue's slave labour. The slaves who built the tomb would have been killed to stop looters finding out the whereabouts. This is apparently quite common to all cultures throughout history.

Ying Zheng, or Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor, sent a special force to find the tomb, as he wanted as many other Ou Yezi swords to supplement his Taia sword as possible. They found the right spot, but not the entrance. The hole they apparently dug became known as the Sword Pond, as it filled with rainwater over the thousands of years. It was drained in 1955, but the entrance, found not long after, was left unopened for fear of losing a famous (leaning) religious pagoda (Yun Yan) situated on top of the tomb.

Ganjiang, either student or classmate of Ou Yezi, also made 2 swords during this time...

Last edited by Bennison N on Sat 23 Feb, 2008 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Regarding Ganjiang's two famous swords, Yin and Yang, Muyie and Ganjiang.

I've heard 2 versions of this story, but both have these common factors:

(Ganjiang's wife was named Muyie. Some say Ganjiang was Ou Yezi's classmate, and some say Ganjiang was Ou Yezi's student, Muyie being Ou Yezi's daughter.)

When Gou Jian gave 3 of his 5 Ou Yezi swords to Helu of Wu, Helu was so impressed that he ordered Ganjiang to create a special sword for him. Ganjiang called upon various Daoist principles and Deities to assist him, including a near-perfect blending of Yin and Yang and the Qi of Heaven. But his carefully acquired metals would not melt nor bind together.

Ganjiang had learnt from Ou Yezi that this was because of an imbalance of Yin to Yang, and that he needed more Yin in this case. And so his devoted wife, Muyie, sacrificed her hair and fingernails to the mix, as well as recruiting 300 young women to assist with the bellowing and stoking of the fire. This supplied the much needed Yin essence, and worked immediately, the metals bonding perfectly. From the ore he produced two swords, the Yang sword named Ganjiang, and the Yin sword named Muyie.

Muyie, the sword, is said to have had an "eel skin" texture, whilst Ganjiang the sword is said to have had a "tortoise shell" pattern on the blade. I have heard that the "tortoise shell" pattern may have been like the pattern on the blade of the sword of King Gou Jian of Yue, or the sword that got me started in this explanation of what I know of Spring and Autumn Period swords in the first place.

And this is where the story splits into two versions.

Version 1 - Ganjiang gives the Yin sword, known as Muyie, to the King of Wu, keeps the Yang sword for himself, and they all live happily ever after. Well, actually, the King of Wu dies because he is killed by Gou Jian of Yue, but Ganjiang and Muyie live happily ever after.

Version 2 - The King of Wu discovers that there was two swords made, and one kept by Ganjiang, and in his anger orders the assassination of the second greatest swordsmith in Chinese history. Muyie, the ever faithful Chinese wife, who was pregnant at the time of the killing, raises Ganjiang's son to hate his father's killers. When of age, he is to take the Yang sword from it's hiding place in a 1000 year old tree (that's what my notes say... that's the second 1000 year old tree...) and go to avenge his father. Very suitable for a Hong Kong action movie...

A very interesting story about legendary jian, some of which have been uncovered, and others which still lay hidden, in hope that they still exist. A great many scholars assume they know where these ancient and magical blades reside, and it will be interesting to see if they are eventually uncovered as well. I myself am particularly interested in the contents of the Sword Pond... and the Taia and Zhan Lu swords.
Wow :eek:

I have read and reread your wealth of information. I will need to digest this, get some context and the re-reread :)

peter
I'm just glad I have somewhere to share it with someone, because that has served to rekindle my interest in it, and helped me to remember things I had almost forgotten. I was starting to concentrate too much on the practical for a while there...

I asked one of my old classmates, who researched with me at University, if she knew any more stories, and she was able to give me one more. She also helped me to get some further facts, and corrected me a little.

She has told me that Helu died later from an infection to the wound he recieved from Gou Jian, and wasn't struck down on the battlefield as I had thought. He apparently didn't die until after Gou Jian surrendered to Fuchai.

The home of the Sword Pond is Hu Qui (Tiger Hill), near Suzhou City in Jiansu Province. Suzhou is famous throughout China for having very beautiful women as well as very beautiful weapons buried in hills. The hill is called Tiger Hill due to a White Tiger, which started appearing on the hill after the completion of the tomb of Helu. There is apparently very close to 3000 swords buried inside.

Ok... The story she told me regards the sword Yu Chang, which was discovered in the 1990s, and resides at Suzhou Museum. Yu Chang, which I have always called "Fish Guts", actually means "Inside Fish". The reason is as follows:

There was once a very ambitious Prince of Wu, known as Guang. He was general of all the armies of Wu, but was not content with this, especially after defeating his country's most hated enemy, Gou Jian of Yue. So he had his cousin King Liao assassinated.

The assassin apparently drew the killing sword from inside of a roasted fish. This explains the strange name of the sword, which is 50.7cm long, making it a big fish.

Prince Guang became King, and changed his name to Helu.

And I have managed to find a website in English that basically says what I have listed here. The gentleman whose website it is also tells of a place to buy quality bronze replicas of Gou Jian's sword.

http://www.universalswordsman.com/Swords-Smit...s2006.html
Bennison N wrote:
Suzhou is famous throughout China for having very beautiful women as well as very beautiful weapons buried in hills.

Well, I am already looking for a well balanced jian so I would happily extend that to a matched set :lol:

A first reaction I have on getting background is that is surprises me that so much info is handily provided by he 'bird script' on the arms themselves.

The chinese bonze replica source is refreshing in actualling stating they make REPLICAS ;)

Sun Tsu btw I have all but memorised.
I like this translation: http://classics.mit.edu/Tzu/artwar.html

peter
If you love Sun Tzu, you'll love Sun Bin. He is a descendant of Sun Tzu, some say he helped edit The Art of War, and was known as "Sun the Mutilated".

His book, Sun Bin Bing Fa, was rediscovered in 1972 near Linyi in Shandong Province, after last being seen during the Han Dynasty, and is now known as The Lost Art of War. It differs from Sun Tzu in that where Sun Tzu recommends keeping well away from siege warfare, Sun Bin offers tactics to do it well, showing what some scholars call a shift, or evolution, in strategic thinking over quite a short time. Other than that, it is easy to see how much Sun Bin's ancestor inspired him.

I know one story about this guy, but I better keep it brief, as we might get moved to "Off Topic"...

He was called "Sun the Mutilated" because he was the top student of famous strategist Gui Guzi, and his bitter rival, Pang Juan attempted to make him an outcast by removing his kneecaps (Bin). Pang was hired by the state of Wei, and invited Sun Bin there on a pretence, the actual intent being to remove his kneecaps, which should have made him a cripple and an outcast.

In the end it only made him a cripple, as he had a very successful career as a strategist for King Wei of Qi, his home state. Sun Bin, and his partner General Tian Ji were amazing tactical directors, Tian Ji and King Wei eventually asking Sun Bin to become the Head of the Armies of Qi. Sun had to decline as he couldn't ride a horse with his legs, something every Warring States Period General was required to do.

They served Chu state for a while, Tian Ji having been banished from Qi, and Sun Bin following him. They were invited back to Qi when Sun Bin convinced the King.

Sun Bin got his revenge on Pang Juan in a very stylish fashion, if we believe the legends. (After defeating Pang's Wei forces at the Battles of Gui Ling and Ma Ling, which he and Tian Ji did decisively...) Pang was trekking through a forest with his army, and came across a blockage on the path. Closer inspection showed that there was actually writing on it. Pang Juan went to read what was said, and found it to read "Pang Juan will die on this spot today" (slightly paraphrased...), and was shot to death by an archer lying in wait. Sun Bin died a hermit of old age.

I really recommend his book if you like The Art of War.

Anyway, back to Jian...

Last edited by Bennison N on Mon 25 Feb, 2008 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Another famous Chinese Jian is the Qing Gang Jian (青釭劍), originally owned by Cao Cao, the Three Kingdoms Period unifier of the North. It is made most famous by Zhao Yun of the South, however. I have seen replicas available from Zheng Wu and Masterforge, although I'm not sure how accurate they are, as I have yet to see two drawings of this sword that look the same... ;)

This period of Chinese history is most interesting for people interested in finding out about historical heroes and swordsmen, some of the major players even becoming Daoist deities. Guan Yu became Guan Gong (red face, long black beard, Guan Dao halberd it takes 40 men to carry...), for instance.

Anyway, the Qing Gang sword, at this time still in the possession of Cao Cao, was carried around for him by Xiaohou En. This will have relevance later.

Zhao Yun, a cavalry general who served Liu Bei (founder of the Shu Han State, and one of China's greatest historical heroes...), fought extremely bravely and skillfully at the Battle of Changban, which was between Liu Bei and Cao Cao, or at least between their armies. Zhao Yun managed to break the enemy line, by himself, and rescue Liu Bei's captured wife Gan and son, Liu Shan. He fought all the way back to his line with Liu's son in his arms (some versions say tucked into his breastplate) but Lady Gan didn't make it. She chose instead to jump into a well in order to stop being a burden to her husband. Zhao Yun pushed a wall over onto the well to bury her, and fought on.

It was on his way back that he came across Xiaohou En, with the Qing Gang Jian. Xiaohou En was no match for the intense skills of Zhao Yun, and Zhao took the sword.

This man-sword combination really is the stuff of legends. All the rest of the way back to Liu Bei, Cao Cao ordered his generals to intercept Zhao, but when Zhao killed 50 enemy commanders, and even managed to escape being completely surrounded by generals, it was only Cao Cao's general Zhang He who stood in the way. They fought, apparently for 10 exchanges, and Zhao, fearing for Liu Shan, tried to make a break for it on his horse. Unfortunately, his horse stumbled in a ditch, and he was thrown. As Zhang He stepped up for the kill-stroke, a "great red light" came from all around Zhao Yun. This startled and frightened Zhang He (understandable...), and Zhao Yun and his horse took off at full gallop.

Liu Bei was furious at Liu Shan for endangering Zhao Yun, and threw him to the ground. Some scholars say this caused Liu Shan brain damage, and explains why he was a terribly useless ruler, ruining all his father's hard work upon coming to the throne.

And this is how Zhao Yun gained the Qing Gang Jian, and defeated a sizeable chunk of Cao Cao's army with it.

Here is a link, showing how you can basically say any sword you want is a Qing Gang Sword:

http://www.chinesearms.com/chinesearms/001/jian/qgb/qgb.htm

Nice quality, the swords on this site. They look like they would be very suitable for most Chinese sword activities.

I would like to point out, however, that the Three Kingdoms Period was roughly 184-280 A.D., and the Qing Dynasty was 1644-1911 A.D.
Bennison N wrote:
Before I get my Masterforge Han Jian though, I intend to get a not-so-authentic, more extravagant and just plain bigger replica of Gou Jian of Yue's sword. I have wanted one since I first saw the original in Hubei Museum.

This sword is amazing. It sat submerged for nearly 2500 years, before being discovered in Hubei in 1965. It never rusted, tarnished or lost it's edge in all that time! It was underwater! Some say it is the sulphur additive in the blade materials that caused this. It can cut 19 pieces of paper in an effortless swipe, and apparently causes a "flash" when drawn from the scabbard. It is also very beautiful, with the slogan " this sword is exclusively owned and used by King Gou Jian of Yue State" in very old "bird script" still clearly visible on the blade.

Mine will, of course, have my favourite 80cm blade and 23 cm handle, which is not authentic as the original is only 55.6cm long. The handle will be from one piece of jade, which again is not authentic, as the handle on the original is iron. I will also include my personal symbol in xiaozhuan hanzi (which is just period authentic, just not in Yue State), not bird script, on the blade. And I will have the blade made from steel, which again is not authentic. I will use the same comparative dimensions though, and use Gou Jian's sword as a model for appearance.

It's said that Gou Jian and his Yue State lost a war against Wu State, started because a Yue princess ran away from her Wu husband. Originally Gou Jian killed the Helu, King of Wu, but was defeated and captured by Helu's son Fuchai, who of course became the next King.

He was a servant for Fuchai for 3 years, and was finally allowed to return to Yue. As soon as he arrived back, he sent spies all through Wu, and set about weakening Wu State through lies, politics and financial sabotage. He also worked to build Yue up to a strong as possible. He seems to have been very resentful of his servitude.

During this time, Gou Jian was said to sleep on beds made from rough sticks, with a gall bladder suspended to allow him to taste bile, which it appears is very bitter in flavour. He ate very basic food, not suited for a King. The Chinese saying "Wo xing chang dan" is apparently because of this forced punishment, which allowed him to remember his capture and work at the hands of Fuchai.

It was during this time that Gou Jian ordered the making of many weapons of excellent quality. That would, it seems, include the sword.

Needless to say, Gou Jian destroyed Wu State in the last major war of the Spring and Autumn Period. In 473 BC, Fuchai, who lay beseiged in his capital after three years of seige, committed suicide and Wu fell to Yue.

Take at look at Fuchai's spear, which is also very beautiful...

Oh... Did I forget to put the maker's name in there? It was Ou Yezi and his pupil Ganjiang. They are credited with being the greatest swordmakers in Chinese history. He is said to have made a set of three swords for King Zhao of Chu State, and a set of five for King Goujian of Yue.

The set for King Zhao apparently came about because the King sent his foremost expert on swords, who was named Feng Huzi to place an order, upon hearing of the "magical" properties of Ou's weapons. At this time, Ou lived and had his forge in Longyuan, a mountainous part of Yue State. The reason the forge was here (and this will interest you Peter...) is because he thought the seven natural springs nearby resembled the seven stars (!) of the Big Dipper constellation, and because it was quiet and difficult to find. In typical Chinese fashion, it appears he did not share his secrets with anyone but Ganjiang, and wanted to keep it that way.

The three swords were apparently made with the following resources:
*Iron ore from Ci Shan (Mount Ci).
*Sharpening stone from Liang Shi Keng.
*Water from Jian Chi, a spring next to a 1000 year old Pine Tree.

The individual swords themselves were named like so:
*Longyuan (Dragon Well) - Described as having a shape that reaches for the highest mountain, and arriving in the deepest abyss.
*Gong Bu (Work Deployer) - Said to have had a distinct coarse pattern, resembling endless flowing water.
*Taia (Peaceful Relation or Tai Mountaintop) - The most famous of these three swords. I'll tell you what I know about it soon... It was said to have a pattern that "towered" and "thrived" like waves of flowing water.

Taia was said to be magical, and when King Zhao first received it, he was busy fighting the combined forces of Jin and Zheng States, who were besieiging a large Chu city, and had been doing so for a couple of years. It is said that he waved the sword immediately in the air to signal a counterattack, and his troop were so roused by this sight that they managed to break the seige and defeat the invading armies.

After this, King Zhao is said to have asked Feng Huzi how a metal sword could have the power to give his army such morale and courage, and Feng is said to have answered that the spirit of the metal combined with that of a great king could cause miracles. And that brings me to the next thing I know about Taia.

Records of the Grand Historian by Sima Quan, a famous Chinese historical text, says that Ying Zheng, or Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor of China, founder of the Qin Dynasty, owned the Taia sword. Once again, it is said to have bestowed him and his armies with invinciblity. Archaeologists say it was buried with him, and expect to find it in the main burial chamber of his tomb in Xi'an, which was eletromagnetically located in 2003, but is still unopened.

Also... The Taia sword is the inspiration for Taia-Ki, a 15th century letter written to Tadaaki Ono, the leader of the Itto School of Swordsmanship. It was written by his spiritual teacher Soho Takuan, the Zen monk, who also taught spirituality to Miyamoto Musashi and Yagyu Munenori. The Taia sword is used as a metaphor for the perfect mindset for being a warrior.

Later on, I will talk about the other swords that Ou Yezi made for King Gou Jian, because I studied them too.

think I can safely say that this information in even greater detail will be available from the Hubei Museum, located in Wuchang, Wuhan, Hubei Province, People's Republic of China. An excellent tourist destination for a lover of swords, as Gou Jian's sword and Fuchai's spearhead reside there.

Anyway... what I know about The Five Ou Yezi Swords of King Gou Jian of Yue...

Ok... The 5 swords made for Gou Jian by Ou Yezi were:
* Yu Chang (Fish Guts)
*Sheng Ye (Defeats Evil)
*Ju Que (Giant)
*Chun Jun (Total Harmony)
*Zhan Lu (Wholesome Land of Bright and Clear (please don't exactly quote this...)) - Named after the area in which it was forged, and the most famous of the 5.

In 494 B.C., Gou Jian sent 3 of the 5, Zhan Lu, Sheng Ye and Yu Chang, to King Helu of Wu as an appeasement for losing his first war to Helu. Helu was well known as a collector of weapons, and this is why archaeologists assume Gou Jian sent the swords to him, as Helu was otherwise Gou Jian's greatest foe. This is where I point out that Sun Tzu (Sunzi) , the author of the all-famous Art of War, was Military Advisor to the Kings of Wu during this time.

It is said that the Zhan Lu sword itself decided King Helu was not a moral man, as one morning King Zhao of Chu (the original owner of the Taia sword...) apparently awoke to find it in his bed. Feng Huzi, who pops up all through this legend, was the one to explain to the King that it was one of Gou Jian's 5 Ou Yezi swords.

Now it is said that this sword was made by perfect control of nature. For example, the Ore (Tin and Copper are mentioned...) had appeared right when needed, the rain quenched the blade at exactly the right time, the gods sent wind to bellow the flame, a wise dragon manufactured the forge... In other words. this sword has been elevated a near godlike state in Chinese legend. Ou Yezi supposedly tempered the metal one thousand times to make the set of 5...

The Zhan Lu sword has belonged to the following Chinese historical figures:
*King Gou Jian of Yue - Spring and Autumn Period (722-481B.C.)
*King Helu of Wu - Spring and Autumn Period (722-481B.C.)
*General Zhou Chu of Jin Dynasty (One of the first couple of FOUR Jin Dynasties... 265-420A.D. roughly)
*Yue Fei of Southern Song Dynasty (1127-1279A.D.)

Powers the Zhan Lu sword is said to have:
*The essence of all metal .
*Glows in the dark .
*Shines in the daylight, brighter than the Sun or Moon.
*Can roll into a coil or extend by itself. (Hmmm... )
*Gives the viewer a feeling of life when unsheathed.
*Gives the viewer a sense of awe when sheathed. (The most believable one...)
*So sharp, it can be stabbed into a deep pool of water and emerge dry .

When King Helu died by King Gou Jian's hand, Fuchai had his extensive sword collection, which included Sheng Ye and Yu Chang, buried with his father and the people who built the tomb were killed to keep the secret. This kind of mass murder would have meant nothing to Fuchai, who apparently may have forced Gou Jian to eat his faeces during the King of Yue's slave labour. The slaves who built the tomb would have been killed to stop looters finding out the whereabouts. This is apparently quite common to all cultures throughout history.

Ying Zheng, or Qin Shi Huang, the first Emperor, sent a special force to find the tomb, as he wanted as many other Ou Yezi swords to supplement his Taia sword as possible. They found the right spot, but not the entrance. The hole they apparently dug became known as the Sword Pond, as it filled with rainwater over the thousands of years. It was drained in 1955, but the entrance, found not long after, was left unopened for fear of losing a famous (leaning) religious pagoda (Yun Yan) situated on top of the tomb.

Ganjiang, either student or classmate of Ou Yezi, also made 2 swords during this time...

Regarding Ganjiang's two famous swords, Yin and Yang, Muyie and Ganjiang.

I've heard 2 versions of this story, but both have these common factors:

(Ganjiang's wife was named Muyie. Some say Ganjiang was Ou Yezi's classmate, and some say Ganjiang was Ou Yezi's student, Muyie being Ou Yezi's daughter.)

When Gou Jian gave 3 of his 5 Ou Yezi swords to Helu of Wu, Helu was so impressed that he ordered Ganjiang to create a special sword for him. Ganjiang called upon various Daoist principles and Deities to assist him, including a near-perfect blending of Yin and Yang and the Qi of Heaven. But his carefully acquired metals would not melt nor bind together.

Ganjiang had learnt from Ou Yezi that this was because of an imbalance of Yin to Yang, and that he needed more Yin in this case. And so his devoted wife, Muyie, sacrificed her hair and fingernails to the mix, as well as recruiting 300 young women to assist with the bellowing and stoking of the fire. This supplied the much needed Yin essence, and worked immediately, the metals bonding perfectly. From the ore he produced two swords, the Yang sword named Ganjiang, and the Yin sword named Muyie.

Muyie, the sword, is said to have had an "eel skin" texture, whilst Ganjiang the sword is said to have had a "tortoise shell" pattern on the blade. I have heard that the "tortoise shell" pattern may have been like the pattern on the blade of the sword of King Gou Jian of Yue, or the sword that got me started in this explanation of what I know of Spring and Autumn Period swords in the first place.

And this is where the story splits into two versions.

Version 1 - Ganjiang gives the Yin sword, known as Muyie, to the King of Wu, keeps the Yang sword for himself, and they all live happily ever after. Well, actually, the King of Wu dies because he is killed by Gou Jian of Yue, but Ganjiang and Muyie live happily ever after.

Version 2 - The King of Wu discovers that there was two swords made, and one kept by Ganjiang, and in his anger orders the assassination of the second greatest swordsmith in Chinese history. Muyie, the ever faithful Chinese wife, who was pregnant at the time of the killing, raises Ganjiang's son to hate his father's killers. When of age, he is to take the Yang sword from it's hiding place in a 1000 year old tree (that's what my notes say... that's the second 1000 year old tree...) and go to avenge his father. Very suitable for a Hong Kong action movie...

A very interesting story about legendary jian, some of which have been uncovered, and others which still lay hidden, in hope that they still exist. A great many scholars assume they know where these ancient and magical blades reside, and it will be interesting to see if they are eventually uncovered as well. I myself am particularly interested in the contents of the Sword Pond... and the Taia and Zhan Lu swords

I'm just glad I have somewhere to share it with someone, because that has served to rekindle my interest in it, and helped me to remember things I had almost forgotten. I was starting to concentrate too much on the practical for a while there...

I asked one of my old classmates, who researched with me at University, if she knew any more stories, and she was able to give me one more. She also helped me to get some further facts, and corrected me a little.

She has told me that Helu died later from an infection to the wound he recieved from Gou Jian, and wasn't struck down on the battlefield as I had thought. He apparently didn't die until after Gou Jian surrendered to Fuchai.

The home of the Sword Pond is Hu Qui (Tiger Hill), near Suzhou City in Jiansu Province. Suzhou is famous throughout China for having very beautiful women as well as very beautiful weapons buried in hills. The hill is called Tiger Hill due to a White Tiger, which started appearing on the hill after the completion of the tomb of Helu. There is apparently very close to 3000 swords buried inside.
Ok... The story she told me regards the sword Yu Chang, which was discovered in the 1990s, and resides at Suzhou Museum. Yu Chang, which I have always called "Fish Guts", actually means "Inside Fish". The reason is as follows:

There was once a very ambitious Prince of Wu, known as Guang. He was general of all the armies of Wu, but was not content with this, especially after defeating his country's most hated enemy, Gou Jian of Yue. So he had his cousin King Liao assassinated.

The assassin apparently drew the killing sword from inside of a roasted fish. This explains the strange name of the sword, which is 50.7cm long, making it a big fish.

Prince Guang became King, and changed his name to Helu.

And I have managed to find a website in English that basically says what I have listed here. The gentleman whose website it is also tells of a place to buy quality bronze replicas of Gou Jian's sword.
http://www.universalswordsman.com/Swords-Smit...s2006.html

There are so many complexities here, and not just a few plain errors of fact, so I have joined the forum just to comment on them.
I am a collector and enthusiast of ancient Chinese weapons, specifically of the period of the late bronze and early iron age. It is my niche area of study. Bronze jian are a special area of interest.
I think the mixing of myth and hearsay is making this Goujian sword & its origins a complete subject of confusion.
While the stories given here are comprehensive in quantity, let's be clear, they are essentially fictional stories.
I should explain some specifics. Bennison N, You have a wealth of details and knowledge but you have not sorted wheat from the chaff when retelling them to laypeople who read here.

The Goujian sword does not have a handle of iron firstly.
In the late 6th century BC iron is extremely rare on weapons and never have I heard of the Goujian sword as anything but a bronze sword. See Donald Wagners "Earliest iron & steel in China" for a very few (real) examples of iron blades from the late Spring & Autumn period. Iron being used on the Goujian sword is completely incorrect.
The sword staying sharp and clear of corrosion while underwater is not so remarkable as it is not water as such which causes bronze corrosion, although water can carry compounds that are indusive of corrosion (oxygen & carbon dioxide). Some waterlogged burials can yield excellent preservation of bronze.
The nature of the surrounding soil influences the effect of ground waters on bronze, and some corrode rapidly while others can form a thin tin-oxide patina and look only slightly dulled with age.
Occasionally ancient weapons can retain their edges as sharp as a knife used in a kitchen, the stuff about true razor-sharpness however is more poetic than really accurate.

The idea of a 'flash' appearing when the Goujian sword is drawn (from its wooden scabbard not less), and the cutting of stacks of paper with an effortless swipe, these are just modern myths & hearsay attributed to these types of swords heaped on top of earlier myths. They should be discarded.
For example, the Qin bronze swords found with the buried army are variously said to have been found bent, and sprung back into shape after 2,200 years, yet can split a human hair, and have no corrosion. etc.
None of this is true either, no matter how often they are repeated on TV and in lay-person books. Of the many Qin swords excavated there are those that have more typical bronze corrosion and several came out in fragments (as would be expected with an ancient high-tin bronze). The bendy sword stuff is related more to Kung Fu movies expectation than any reality. A senior curator at Shaanxi did tell me the Qin swords are not as sharp as urban legend alleges, and he has tried to shave with one previously (!). The 'chroming' of Qin swords is another myth that is repeated ad-naseum when the truth via testing (see Yang Hongs "Weapons in Ancient China") is that the swords may have been dipped in a solution containing potassium chromate. The effects are inconsistent across the numerous examples of Qin swords I have seen. Supposed Qin chroming "with techniques not invented for 2,000 years in Europe" is a confusion over electric deposition of elemental chromium in modern times (true 'chrome') over a clever but quite different method used in ancient China.
This is why hearsay needs careful checking. There are far too many audacious claims made about prestigious pieces in Chinese museums.
BTW Any cutting test conducted via 'swiping' at stacks of paper with a 2,500 year old sword would be foolish, as internal corrosion can be significant on bronzes that have little visible external corrosion. Both lead leeches out from a bronze and tin-oxide can lead to weaker micro-structures. Especially if the sword had a keen edge, a symptom of a high tin% bronze the chances of breakage or edge damage would be much higher. Non-destructive testing and simple measurements would provide statistics on the blade edge/bevel after all. One sword of similar age I know of was broken simply by having a book drop accidently on top of it during research, and many swords from this period are found broken since even burial compression causes factures. Internal corrosion varies on bronze to bronze and I have seen some blades with golden-bronze inside, and others rough and corroded surface the whole way through a cross-section break.
Now for more facts about the Goujian sword(s).

The inscription written in bird script on the 'Goujian sword" is not 100% certain that the sword even does have the name of Goujian. (There are in fact 2 nearly identical Goujian swords in existence, and possibly more).
Quote:
..."One interesting thing about the inscription on the 'Goujian' sword is that the Yue king's name was deciphered as 'Jiuqian', and the oracle bone expert Tang Lan inferred it was a variant form of 'Goujian'. But another expert, Guo Moruo, deciphered the name as 'Shaohua'. Guo Moruo later accepted Tang Lan's reading, but the two ideographs were highly elaborate and difficult to read, so the actual name of the 'Yue king' is still debatable."

(Yang ShaoYun, personal correspondence).
The written script of China was only unified after the establishment of the Qin dynasty. Before this there was such a huge variety of characters and improvised words that they were already a cause of annoyance for their readers even in the time of Confucius, as Confucius specifically commented on the issue of 'inventing' characters.
Li Si in the late 3rd century BC is thought to have eliminated as much as 50% of the total number of previously used pictographic characters during his Imperial standardising of script, currently there are about 56,000 characters in use which is still fairly close to the total in the Qin-era standardisation.
Translating the extremely stylised bird script from allegedly the 6th century BC was therefore a result of consensus rather than certainty. This is the only reason the (2) swords found in Hubei were attributed to Goujian, yet there is no explanation to date how the weapons of these peripheral kings of Wu & Yue have been found so far from the places where the tombs of the kings would be expected to reside (Zhejiang & Jiangzhu province rather than Hubei & Henan)

The clearly mythical stories of the sword smith Ou Yezi date from the time of the Eastern Han according to those familiar with the classics who I have discussed this with. Interpolation by later writers, the novelisation of real history, is something to be aware of.
The Wu/Yue Spring and Autumn tales grew over the centuries from contemporary records from the state of Lu. These contemporary records are not more than a few sentences, terse, matter-of-fact announcements. They contrast with much expanded later stories.
Here is the total account from the actual S&A period: (From the original Spring & Autumn Annals, provided by Francois Charlton).

Quote:
In summer, the prince of Wu attacked Yue..... (510 BC)
....The Yuyue invaded Wu.... (505 BC)
....In the fifth month, the Yuyue defeated Wu in Zuili. 吳子光卒。The viscount of Wu, Guang, died.... (496 BC)
....The Yuyue entered the capital of Wu. (482 BC)

This short account was expanded by the Zuozhuan version in the Warring States period but even this omits many of the later additions like gall tasting, then Sima Qian drew from these and perhaps other versions in the West Han. This is now 400 years after the fact, and the most embellished accounts are not yet in existence. Paradoxically the further in time from the events, the more the story is enlarged.

Francois explains: ....
...."the whole story was novelised in the 2nd or third century AD, as the Wuyue Chunqiu {about 700 years after the events}. This is where most swords stories come from, and it is just as historical as a modern TV film…"

Over centuries after the kings deaths the romantic tale of these exotic peripheral states evolved into the various versions we have today, the magical sword smith and the famous swords, the tasting of gall by King Goujain, the assassination of the Wu king with a sword in a fish, the ploys of Goujian on the battlefield (throat cutting convicts), all the intrigue and tales.
The fact these (bronze?) swords made by Ou Yezi are said to have used iron ore immediately shows the story here to be apocryphal. The adding of hair and fingernails (carbon) suggests a steel sword making tradition of a much later era, i.e Han.
The historical King Arthur who fought the Saxon and the later chivalrous King Arthur of Camelot wielding his Excalibur and knights of the round table comes to mind when I hear such embellishments.
We need not pay much heed to the 'lady in the lake' or 'the sword in the stone' when examining the history of Saxon invasion in England.

Clearly the account of the burial of King Helu at Tiger hill is a much later story than the period he lived. The account of thousands of swords held by thousands of warriors and a lake of mercury are all taken from later mortuary practices, i.e the burial of massed (ceramic) troops armed with weapons (buried armies) arises for the first time in the famous Qin tomb at mount Li, and later typical Han burial practices. The masses of Qin terracotta warriors are all the more remarkable in that there was no precidence in earlier tradition, and to date only a very few tomb figures have been found in Warring States tombs, let alone the late S&A period 6th century BC.
There is good reason to doubt the expanded stories in later eras and also several enigmas about the surprising quantities of swords of Wu & Yue kings found in just the last 50 years.

From Yang Hong's text:
Quote:
..."...there are a few {swords} bearing inscriptions showing they were made by the order of the Wu & Yue kings. The more important ones include; the sword of the King of Wu, unearthed from Caipo tomb #3, Xiangyang, Hubei Province; another of Fuchai's swords unearthed from Huixan, Henan province, and two swords of King Guojian of Yue, unearthed from Jianling, Hubei province- one from Tomb # 1 at Wangshan and one from tomb #1 at Tengdian.....the most distinguished was unearthed from Wangshan.....
....This sword has been exhibited many times......this Goujian sword is exactly like the one unearthed at Tengdian...the latter is a bit longer.
These swords of Fuchai, of the King of Wu state, have the same features as the Yue king's except their hilts do not spread like a bugle near the disc shaped pommel...."

This list does not include a sword of King Helu allegedly found in the late 1990's, and the inscribed & patterned spear of King Fuchai also found in Hubei(!).

Apart from the dubious literary records, there are many questions about the origins of the 2 Goujian swords and the various other weapons attributed to Fuchai & Helu. None of these has been excavated from a tomb of the actual kings, and they apparently come from later-era tombs (Warring States period for the Hubei swords).
While these are truly beautiful and ancient, the real hard questions are not being asked of these much hyped items owner attributions.
Why does a king of the tribal Yue (barbarians) in the 6th century BC have a sword that is exactly like a fully formed Warring States sword of the 3rd century BC in appearance?
How did these swords come to be found in later period graves in the state of Chu for example, rather than in Zhejiang?
Is the name Jiuqian even really a name for King Goujian?
If the stories of the mystical swords are later fictional additions then are the swords being found also linked to these later eras?

My hunch is that the swords date from the age when the stories were being expanded into a huge epic, many generations later, and then these swords & spears were more like the biblical relics desired by European pilgrims to the Holy Land. With an increasing interest there may have been a demand for such objects at the time the romantic stories began to be told. Like medieval fragments of the 'true cross', there seems almost as many of these swords appearing in the hands of historical characters throughout the ages, being buried in famous tombs, or on display in modern China. These swords are ancient relics for sure, but perhaps not from the late 6th century BC.
The physical appearance of the weapons fits much better with a slightly later period of sword with the taotie masks and fully developed waisted blade. The Yue (Goujians people) after all were even more 'barbarians' than the Wu state, who are said to have had tattoo's and cut their hair short like savages. The physical appearance of the weapons is then counter intuitive, when decorated but archaic styles were more typical in Yue/Ba/Shu peoples weapons in the south of China (looped spears, hiltless jian, triangular dagger-axes).
The lack of any attribute on the swords culturally 'Yue' and the very conventional Zhou/Chinese appearance is rather odd given the tomb of one Yue king from the same century (perhaps Goujians father) excavated a few years back showed distinct regional (non-Zhou/Chinese) attributes to the burial.
These are then either a 'partly-Sinified' or fully 'barbarian' Yue people at the time of the Wu/Yue wars and I would have expected some tribal motif to reflect this.

The many swords of the Wu & Yue kings really are an enigma, and one I hope to study soon when in Suzhou (containing the tomb of King Helu) and Hangzhou (the capital of Zhejiang/Yue 'state') in May 2008. One sword of King Fuchai is said to be at Suzhou.
Luckily some other swords allegedly belonging to Wu kings are on display in the Shanghai museum too.
In the meantime I urge scholars of ancient weapons and history to take a bit of caution in repeating the tales of later periods when discussing real artefacts, or assuming the prestigious items shown to the public are 100% correctly attributed to the much-romanticised kings of the Wu-Yue tales. The next thing is to not repeat hearsay about the actual swords physical properties too!

Sima Qian does not mention an actual Ou Yezi sword in his chapter in QinShiHuang so I would not repeat anything like "archaeologists say {the tai'e sword} was buried with him".
The ShiJi description of the Mt. Li tomb and its contents according to Sima Qian are well known, and it omits any burial with a legendary sword (& omits the buried army too for that matter).
Where the (possibly) 237BC reference to a Tai'e sword being worn by King Zheng is found is in an appeal by councillor Li Si to the king to not expel foreigners and the meaning is that the origin on an object is not important, it's quality is, and that like pearls they do not occur in Qin state so also foreign expertise they should be accepted by the king. As explained to me this passage is probably misunderstood & does not mean the tai-e sword mentioned there means an 'Ou-Yezi made sword' (tm) or even a literal sword perhaps but that crafts from other lands should be welcomed based on quality rather than judging the origin, tai-e swords perhaps being a generic term. It is known from ancient records for instance that some states made superior weapons to others (Han crossbows, Chu swords, Zhongshan iron armours etc), it does not mean a link to the later expanded legends of magical swords & legendary artisans nor that Qin Shi Huang was questing for more of them.
The versions of the Wu/Yue story given here are apparently Yuejueshu (eastern Han) or successive layers of story from later Tang, Song, Ming & Ching dynasties. There is even an elaborate tale of these swords in the Jin-Shu, with glowing skies, omens, magical swords with minds of their own, and dragons.
There are so many layers here, what is needed it to purge anything much older than the first West Han accounts. Suddenly we are left with a whole lot less, and none of the most elaborate details.
Of the pond at Tiger Hill, the idea it was a tunnel dug by QinShiHuang seeking more swords is just one of the various tales I have heard over what lies underneath the pond or King Helu tomb itself. The thousands of people killed to keep a secret, and the lake of mercury underneath are clearly details taken from Sima Qians tomb of QinShiHuang, and added to the older King Helu story much later.
These are not credible history, but maybe good for tourism.

here is a little from the Jin-Shu that Yun e-mailed to me too:
Quote:
"Zhang Hua (a famous Jin minister, scholar, and collector of antiquities) {was told by astrologer} Lei Huan .....that {a} purplish glow {in the sky} indicated the presence of fine swords in a county called Fengcheng.....Lei Huan then began excavating under the foundations of the Fengcheng county jail, and found a stone casket that emitted a bright aura. Inside were two swords - one with the inscription 'Longquan' and the other with the inscription 'Tai'e'. That night, the purplish glow in the sky no longer appeared.
.....After Zhang Hua's execution by his political enemies in 301AD, his sword was lost. Lei Huan died, and his sword passed to his son Lei Hua. One day, Lei Hua was crossing the Yanping Ford of the Yellow River when the sword leaped out from its scabbard and into the river. Lei Hua sent servants to dive into the river and recover the sword, but they saw instead two coiled dragons, with patterns on their scales similar to inscribed words. The divers were terrified and returned empty-handed. Lei Hua then realized that the predictions his father and Zhang Hua made about the ultimate fate of the swords had both come true - they had transformed and departed, and they had also been reunited at last...."

I kind of suspect the various swords themselves (the "real" ones, not the glowing and wilful examples made from the essence of heaven) may have been made for antiquity collectors who heard the first myth-stories in their infancy during the Warring States period.
The stories written down in the Eastern Han may have had an origin in bardic tales of similar nature in the earlier periods, already evolving, these eventually became truly fiction & fantasy.
Whether the Ou Yezi stories were known to QinShiHuang as we hear them (I doubt it), or whether this reference to a Tai'e sword is the seed which later sparked the whole embellishments of Ou Yezi after the fact is what I wonder. I doubt QinShiHuang dug the pond at Tiger Hill for instance.
Since there were 'antiquity' collectors in ancient times there were likely skilled people able to meet the market demand the 'artefacts' just like there are today.
Clearly there is an almost unique interest in the swords of the Wu-Yue period for around 2,000 years if not more and these stories have been dreamt up for at least as long..

Is there any reference at all to Ou Yezi before the Eastern Han period? It seems not.

For an earlier discussion on this and some pictures of swords see China History Forum thread:
http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17476
Francois Charlton, a scholar of the ancient Chinese history, makes a critical analysis about just a few of stories about these swords.
Thank you too Kenneth for your in depth analysis and explanations.

Personally I take the stories for what they are; ' stories' and stick to the facts known. Same thing grave finds in say Gaul and myths about celts, germanic peoples up to as late as the Franks and roman written records can easily confuse things as they had their own agenda.
Every now and then a special grave is found which can be 'matched' to a myth or record. There is nothing wrong with providing BOTH as long as they are not mixed :)
After all, myths, legends and contemporary records are history too :idea:

In NW Europe it is possible to 'link' the Beowulf saga to period grave finds p.e. This is in fact valuable as it does provide information actually usefull to archeologists but it would be incorrect to consider the stories true or factual.
Every now and again a myths or legends does hold seeds of thruth over surprisingly long time. The thing is that one does not know in advance which one and which seed :\ and it is hugely satisfying if and when acheological evidence backs up a piece of myth. It should not be the other way around.

Fact remains that the 'spring& autumn' and 'warring states' periods were incredibly fruitfull in all sorts of area. Not only produced Confucianism as continuity of the ancient beliefs and Taoism as modernisation but also the most stunning REAL swords that surpass imagination, whatever their names ;)
Wether Lao Tse ever lived or if the Tao te Ching had one author is not the crux :idea:

Concerning some ' fairy tales' about the bronze swords there are interesting phenomena that could provide some logic.
- Static discharge between a bronze blade and an organic sheeth or other might produce an eery spark in poor light.
- A well polished bronze blade might remain dry when dipped in and retracted from water.
- The story about ' springing back' is likely to be an exageration or poor translation. In a hoard of torques p.e. one torque was wedged firmly in the dugout hide. When retreived it ' sprang back' to it's original form. It did, but only a few tenth of an inch.... The thing is that a carefull wording by the archeologist was interpreted in 'normal' english and thus translated into something that gives a differing impression. In this case it is 'only' a torque thus nothing to expand a myth upon but if it would have been a sword like the one found with the chieftain of Oss that was bent in a spiral it would have been a good candidate :lol:
The fact is that old metal can very well still retain a bit of tension and that is it.

About sharpness there is nothing different in the myth building than in modern confusion about practical sharp and silly sharp ;)
The true amazing craftsmanship is not in the sharpnes but in the stunning exactness of the manufacture and the metallurgic knowledge.

To put this all in a more understandeable perspective it is good to realise that 'modern' man NEVER was primitive: the first Homo Sapiens had the same brain we have. Man needing to use his brain power to survive probably was at least as complicated and complex in his thoughts as we are today and in fact more so concerning the high tech of those days.

Technical evolution saw a migration of knowledge and what is then easier to attach supernatural explanations to the past concerning lost knowledge :lol:

peter
One observation about Chinese archaeology in a paper on the Dian culture I read recently was that Chinese study aims to fit artefacts to histiography, rather than a processual aproach which would yield new insights (or even overturn some concepts). This is why archaeology (as has been noted for some time) in China is essentially about digging up tombs and bigger events around 'little people' and settlement patterns are comparitively neglected. In this way the rich resources of ancient historians is a mixed blessing. Sima Qian for instance should not be taken as a final word on the origin of the Xiongnu when Russian archaeologists have more comphrehensive models over the origins of Scyth-Siberian society. Sima Qian is an amazing figure, and especially useful for West Han history and the large scope of his work but he is not someone to be considered above standards applied to modern historians. Let's be clear, I love the ancient histories and I see them like flesh on the bones of material studies but it really is important to look at each in a way that is not pushing a square block through a round hole.

There is a sword of king Fuchai in Shanghai museum, there is a sword supposedly buried with King Helu in nearby Suzhou museum. 2 other Yue kings swords are in Shanghai. There are others as I listed above. There seems to be a real eagerness to identify swords with just a handful of legendary kings and I do not take the museum displays at face value when there is a dearth of contextual evidence. One interesting note is that a 3rd Goujian sword may have appeared on the PRC artefact market since an original expert from the 1965 discovery was convinced he found an authentic example (he then had a heart attack but survived) While he is certain after inspecting it of its authenticity the Hubei museum, understandly, denies it is a third.
A friend of mine, a Prof of History in China was at the artefact markets at Zhengzhou with an archaeologist friend and also saw a sword they were sure was authentic and in the same style (not inscribed, but the same looking sword). These were not the regular Goujian fakes that are on e-bay, and the people were not artefact novices.
If one of these was real it suggests the swords of that style may be more representative of the period than we think. A similar patterned 'Yue' style sword (as one person called it) was also on display at the Taipei museum in 2007. I know another collector with a sword with a rather similar diamond surface pattern on the blade, although the hilt is different.
While the inscription of allegedly 'Goujian' on these 2 swords in Hubei has linked them to the myths there is also reason to doubt the attribution, let alone geographic reasons, that they must be quite what they are said to be.
Even today on the market a seller of an artefact appreciates the value a piece of calligraphy or an inscription lends to a sword. New inscriptions are added to ancient objects for this reason. I don't doubt the sword of Goujian might have been an object of curiousity in the state of Chu a couple of centuries after his lifetime also. It is a masterpiece, but the question is on the history attributed to it (I do not mean the Ou Yezi stuff which can be thrown away essentially).

My point is not at all to downplay the technical expertise of manufacturing these weapons, or the productivity of the period itself but that the legends are mainly 700 or more years older than the swords lifetime and so saying these were 'made' by Ou Yezi or that they are even from the period of Gouian is something that needs to be clarified or questioned.
Trying to rationalise the myths, like 'flashes' is trying a little too hard when in my experience there are plain inventions about such weapons. They need not have a basis in fact. All scabbards found with these types of jian (waisted and double edged) are made of the same materials, typically cedar and bound in silk. An even more remarkable lacquered and decorated scabbard from the same century was found in China last year and there is no suggestion any of the examples I have seen of bronze swords with intact scabbards, being waterlogged burials for example, have any 'flash' apart from this one. Such a flash fits with a mythical sword that makes the sky glow however.....The speculative static discharge between a bronze and an organic sheath is one I would like someone like Jeroen to reproduce with his authentically made swords, otherwise, Occams razor, like the chroming and hard-as-steel and spliting-a-hair stories....just hearsay. No need to assume a high tin (allegedly 20%) tin bronze sword of 90cm lengths are going to spring back like a {gold?} torque either. I have examined many in-situ pictures of bronzes and bronze swords, and apart from those I have handled, a spring is not something I would have any faith in. I need not build a hypothesis when there are more obvious explanations based on my experience with the way these pop-star swords as spoken about. Tests of bronzes I am aware of suggests that deformation will either result in bending or breaking depending on the type of bronze and the type of stress (or degree of corrosion). Since I have assurances from a person who personally held the various Qin swords at Shaanxi, and we were standing in front of them at the time (and I saw some in fragments) I really don't consider the physical properties of these swords any different to other bronze swords of the period....but they are exceptionally long and had a partially sucessful surface treatment for sure. Admiration for human achievement is certainly something I relate to, and there are in fact other aspects of bronze sword making in ancient China that I would consider more revolutionary and remarkable than those which are most often discussed by sword enthusiasts. True bi-metallic bronze for example...examples of which I show on the CHF link.

When you say 'fact remains..the period was fruitful' let's be clear that my passion for many a year now is the very period you are discussing and I work hard to fathom the reality behind the grand histories. This is not to downplay the period. Hardly. There is no belittling here, but just seeking to understand events truthfully and make real factual conclusions about construction methods and techniques availible at this time. (i.e the "iron hilt" part, there were serious factual issues over the real artefact.)
I also stick to 'Facts known'. Your point about the mixing of myth and reality...exactly. They were all blended a little too seamlessly here.
When it comes to discussing this sword like it was a celebrity or a political figure...it is not really the point. We need to look beyond Wiki and histories on the Universalswordsman website and firstly figure what century the sword actually belongs to or if there is any contextual basis to associate the sword to the Kings of Yue & Wu, let alone all the layers of myth that were created after the fact.
This is my reason for posting and I hope it is not lost on reader.
Kenneth Blair wrote:
I have examined many in-situ pictures of bronzes and bronze swords, and apart from those I have handled, a spring is not something I would have any faith in.

Please note that I carefully avoided the term 'spring' as this is not an issue. I use the word ' tension' in the meaning of give resisting permanent deformation. The torque in question was gold and wound gold wire for that so a LOT more flexible both in form and material than cast bronze yet even that will 'give' a bit before breaking (or deforming permanently).
If you look at the wound spiral of the sword of the chieftain of Oss one can understand the jump to conclusion even if it obviously is bogus.

An important thing Kenneth is 'ritual deposits'.
The mentione torque deposits per example are far from clear. There are several scenarios but we do not KNOW. The fact is that they were buried and the circumstances often rather typical neither connected to graves nor war hides.
Swords too were sometimes deposited.
These deposits are the results of beliefs not fact. ' Myth' is the reason for the ritual deposit: inseperably part of history.
In a way even burying a sword with a body is a form of ritual deposit although we call this a grave gift.

Yes, it is VITAL to identify the FACTS but ritual, myth & legend are every bit as much part of history as the artefact or other type of fact.
Look at taoism: after the writing of the 'history' some centuries after the probable origin this ' fabrication' is just as much factual as the original string of happenings.

Rather philosofical perhaps but our western perception is very ' rigid' about facts and their value, whereas in real life even in our western society decisions are largely influanced by perception rather than measureable entities.
In ancient times the sword was far more than a practical tool of war. It was more important for what was attributed to it than its actual properties. The line between fact and fiction did not even exist at the time they were made and used. Probably less then than now.
We KNOW a non-radioactive sword will not glow in the dark yet if people believe it will, that is their reality; factual history. In understanding history the facts are that it did not glow and that to them it did.
This obviously as an example.

I guess that apart from the chronology of factual happenings and artefacts the history of myths and other fabrications is at LEAST as important to understand the past and present.
That we now know the pest was spread by flees on rats does not change history in which jews were hunted because some greedy people who wanted their possesions blamed them as the cause and the desperate populace acted on it. The 'fact' is irrelevant....

Back to the 2500 year or so old swords. Myth fabricated 200 years later still was history for 2300 years :idea:
Again look at Taoism.

Quote:

This is my reason for posting and I hope it is not lost on reader.

Rightly so and thanks!!!

peter
I apologise if my posts failed to mention that they were conjecture and/or mythology, but I had supposed that the glow-in-the-dark bronze sword, and the glowing red light aroung Zhao Yun gave that away somewhat. There is a lot of "fact" (A Historian word for "assumption"...) about the swords and characters I mentioned, and it adds more to the legends.

I thought it would be fun to share a bit of Chinese sword legend with the other people on this forum, who seem all to be pre-dominantly interested in European history. Chinese history is longer,with every bit as much war and innovation.

Without a 2500 year old eye witness, or a Time Machine, we will never, ever really know, will we?
Bennison N wrote:
I thought it would be fun to share a bit of Chinese sword legend

And it is :D

Quote:
Chinese history is longer,

Well, actually only WRITTEN history, but that is irrelevant and does not add nor detract from it.

Quote:
Without a 2500 year old eye witness, or a Time Machine, we will never, ever really know, will we?

I went out prospecting a field on the other end of the valley were there are known old settlements. The site shows evidence of neolithic habitation all the way to the middle ages.
It has not been researched archeologically but has been thoroughly plundered with metal detectors thus most artefacts thus proof has gone. I stumbled on seven plundered Visigoth era graves :cry: :evil: The valuables have been sold to collectors and the rest can, guarded in secret, be found in numerous houses in the village.
Yet, to show my wife, I collected early shards, roman- and medieval material with only a very superficial and fast look. We know a lot of context about the periods, a lot about the region so even simple rudimentary remains as well as the site itself will tell specialised experts a lot. Even without a time machine.
Unfortunately there are no local myths about the time ;)

At the moment this actual site is uninhabited and has been since the reconquista when the village moved down into the vally. Standing/walking there it is easy to understand why it was selected and why the settlement was moved. No time machine needed for that; it almost IS a time machine ;)
A REAL time machine would rather spoil the fun would it not. Also it would MISinform us as a snapshot from the past would take later legends and myths out of the equasion and those DID form part of history.
So thank you Son of Benny!!!

peter
Thanks for the interesting discussion! Both for the stories, and the comments. For me the swords of the Warring States period are some of the finest examples of bronze sword making of mankind, so they are highly fascinating. Unfortunately hard facts are difficult to come by, so aside from studying the swords superficially, it's difficult to learn more about them. But for me as bronze caster, I can only appreciate the artifacts by true facts, not the myths.

As I've been studying the bronze swords of cultures across the world, the features I've seen at the swords like the sword ascribed to Gou Jian are not particularly unique. Inlayed, and patinated swords occure also in Egypt and the Canaan (khopeshes), daggers from Greece. Also multi alloys have been applied to the khopeshes, but as inlays of copper spines on both sides. Casting hard edges around a softer core is something I've not seen in any other culture.

The sword of Gou Jian is definately not unique in terms of fabrication. As Kenneth mentioned there are more like it. There's two examples in the British Museum (see http://1501bc.com/page/british_museum_2006/index.html), in less well preserved condition. The Gou Jian one is incredibly well preserved though, which gives a unique look into how these swords looked 2500 years ago. I'm slightly suspicious though that the sword may have been polished after it was found. Any bronze, no matter how well preserved will get some patina, making it dull in color.

Regarding flexibility of bronze, it has little to no springiness. If the sword is very long and thin, it will allow some bending and spring back, but only in terms of centimeters over the whole length. Regarding properties at different alloys: 10% tin bronze is relatively soft, but easily to workharden, and shape by hammering. 12% tin bronze has much more resistance to bending, but is a lot less predictable when cold working, which can often result in cracks when hammering out edges. It gives a better sword, but takes a lot more expertise from the metalworker to finish the edges. 14% and higher tin bronze snaps when you hit it, and is therefore pretty much useless for swords. I've heard some of qin swords containing 20% tin. In my experience that would make them as brittle as glass. So the Qin swords are still a mystery to me, until I get some more hard facts to their metallurgy.

According to Kenneth, the Chinese didn't workharden the bronze, which is also puzzling me. The great thing about bronze is that you can triple the hardness by workhardening. Obviously this greatly enhances the usefulness of edged tools and weapons. It's also something you find out automatically pretty soon when you make bronze cutting tools, so either it's something they didn't do on purpose for some reason (inclusions in the alloy making cold working impossible f.e.) or they did workharden the edges, but we don't have that information yet. So any metallurgical information regarding Chinese bronze swords is very very welcome.

Finally, regarding the myth of bronze swords glowing in darkness: Well polished bronze is highly reflective. They did use it to make mirrors f.e. I find it a lot easier to get a surface shiney enough to see your face in it on bronze then on steel. So even the faintest light it will reflect, making the sword seem as if it "glows" in darkness. But they definately won't spark when drawn from the scabbard :)
Jeroen, experimental archeology typically starts out with a set of assumptions, extrapolates while performing practical experiments and leads to a most likely scenario. Typically ignoring cultural, spiritual and religous aspects.

Experimental archeology is hugely informative as it provides an added dimension of practical insight and understanding. It cannot be called historical fact.

In dealing with swords we have a rather special situation as other than a physical form we have nothing. We do not even know what it represents. When we do have ' myths' we choose to ignore them because they are nor ' factual'....
We know it can be used as a weapon and we know it will have had symbolic value but do not know the cultural implications, we do not know what p.e. a bronze age sword represent thus WAS. The thing itself is only a very small part of the ' fact' it was ;)

Very tricky stuff Jeroen, ' facts'.

peter
Bennison N wrote:
I apologise if my posts failed to mention that they were conjecture and/or mythology, but I had supposed that the glow-in-the-dark bronze sword, and the glowing red light aroung Zhao Yun gave that away somewhat. There is a lot of "fact" (A Historian word for "assumption"...) about the swords and characters I mentioned, and it adds more to the legends.

I thought it would be fun to share a bit of Chinese sword legend with the other people on this forum, who seem all to be pre-dominantly interested in European history. Chinese history is longer,with every bit as much war and innovation.

I read your posts carefully before replying and although you did discuss some of the more magical elements as mythical you also mixed it up with errors & hearsay and more credible sounding legends.
You apology is clearly sarcastic and not required, but it is true that you stated the Goujian sword in Hubei was made by Ou Yezi & Ganjiang {check your quotes}, that the pond at Tiger Hill was dug by Qin Shi Huang, etc.
Much of your story I noted is repeated on the website link you gave, like the claim that "archaeologists" say a Tai-e sword is buried at the Mt. Li tomb with Qin Shi Huang. These were stated as facts, but they are not.
Historical method can be applied to anything from the tales of the Trojan war to examples like the tales of King Arthur. Behind the fantastic tale attributed to Homer there are for example valid details about Bronze Age warfare/equipment and a record of a real event. There are elements in that tale too that are clearly magical, like the nature of Achilles invulnerabilty and his amily origins. If the line is blurred and there is so much heaped atop the original tale, like with the Wu/Yue story, then we should be cautious before saying the pond at Tiger Hill was a tunnel dug by Qin Shi Huang seeking another sword....this is clearly apocryphal yet it was supposedly the explanation for a pond at the city of Suzhou in the present day.
In my posts I made which is perhaps factual and which is mythical divided in greater detail and I suggest you read the flow of your own commentary and tell me where the line between fact & fiction was actually drawn beyond the self evidently preposterous elements. Even if something isn't completely improbable as a sword coiling and uncoiling, it doesn't mean any of the tales of the # swords made, or the gifting of swords by Goujian, or the making of the swords by Ou Yezi is somehow more credible simply by association with the nonsensical elements.
i.e: Just because morbidly obese man stands next to an overweight man, it doesn't make the less fat person become skinny, nor are any of these tales going to be real just because they don't sound improbable alongside dragons and glowing skies.
Other more real aspects of the swords from the 1965 discovery like the "iron hilt "on the Goujian sword are clear erroneous statements on your part and the other modern myths like flashes from a scabbard and cutting stacks of paper with a swipe you gave as facts also. Simply put, these are either errors or modern myths. If you care to contend any of this I would ask you to provide me a source for these original statements. I think these things need to be said as otherwise we are only swapping urban legends.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Bosman, your waxing lyrical about "cultural, spiritual and religous aspects" that can't be understood by Jeroen's method I dare say he at least has an insight into the manufacture and capibilties of bronze swords that prevents him from repeating the worst sort of nonsense I have heard over the years regarding Chinese bronzes. There is a great deal to be learnt from material studies and recreations. It tests ideas, and also reveals details otherwise not thought of.
I didn't reply to you earlier but the idea of religious deposits to explain these swords turning up is not at all confirmed and I am not inclined to provide speculation to support a supposition. While flinging a sword in a river or swamp is well documented in Europe there would need to be some ritual precedence in China. When in Suzhou I will be enquiring of their attributed sword in person as I have a contact who has suggested I can get access to material closed to the public and should be able to query with a curator. When I get a provenance for it, I will post it here.
As I said, there is no provenance data on these swords at all so far. One thing about the finds of these swords is that none of the tombs they come from (some are from tombs) are celebrated in the way tombs like that of Lady Dai, the Marquis of Zeng, the king of Nanyue, the King of Zhongshan, Yangling tomb etc etc are all fairly well documented yet there is no associated artefact or contextual info on a single Wu/Yue sword....which suggests the tombs held no other objects of great note. I wonder if the tombs they occur in, and their occupants status, are of no great signifigance beyond the swords in them?...another oddity.

In discussing this and some cursory research via my contacts, aside from the patterned swords Jeroen mentioned in the British Museum I have found another sword labelled as belonging to Fuchai in the Shanghai museum, 2 belonging to later named Yue kings (very plain and ordinary looking for kings weapons I might add....) another said to belong to a Yue king which is long & plain, but wasn't named in the photo nor inscribed in the Shanghai museum...and a sword of Helu at Suzhou museum which a inscription on it.
There were 2 swords of Fuchai and 2 swords of Goujian mentioned by Yang Hong in his text plus another spear of Fuchai exists in the Hubei museum.
Quite a total, and those are only the 'official' ones.
(The sword supposedly of Fuchai in Shanghai, a very long sword 'tin-bronze' & lacking a pommel, really looks like a Warring States sword too. One of the 60cm-ish & tanged type examples of the 3 main types of East Zhou sword as identified by Yang Hong.
I really wonder how they figure it was Fuchai's as it does not fit a S&A period sword at all, being the rarer of the 3 main late East Zhou types. A 60-70cm long sword with a simple tang....I examined one of these types in Taiwan and the general size seems to suggest a later period when long iron swords were becoming prominent.

My conclusion being, based on all these examples, that the inlaid & decorated swords themselves are not so unique in appearance, given a similar patterned 'Yue' sword in the Taipei museum I saw in 2007, another seen by Prof. Gary Todd in Zhengzhou and another found at market by one of the excavators of the 1965 sword (from a Xinhua article sent by Francois Charlton which said this one even had Goujians name on it too!).
There is another similar diamond patterned sword in the Shanghai museum (but anonymous) and another rougher but similar pattern inlaid sword belonging to Rich Nable which is availible to be seen via googling the "Richard Nable collection" on the web. The sword of Richs is unfinished, and like speculated in Chinese experimental archaeology replicating the 'Goujian' surface the pattern is 'baked on' at this stage before the sword is even polished or rough edges removed.
The appearance of the Goujian sword is then not so unique as people might think. This does not belittle the artisans as it one of the finest on the spectrum, but puts the attribution of the kingly ownership or the Ou Yezi stories in perspective.

All these myths and such are fine, and a field of study in themselves (however scholars of Chinese histories do tend to recognise later interpolations, even regarding the birth of King Cheng and the story of Lu Bu Wei for example being likely a Han period addition as it occurs in only one Sima Qian biography but not another).
A Chinese Gu Jiegang 顧頡剛 pioneered a sort of 'layer-peeling' deconstruction of myths in the early 20th century so there is nothing new in applying a more critical studies of the prolific ancient histories.
i.e Note that even a later dynasty commentary of the Shi Ji might note that a scholar doubts the figure as given by Sima Qian and in one case the amount of human sacrifices at a Xiongnu funeral was edited in a Tang dynasty edition from thousands down to hundreds.....this is nothing new. Just recently I had been recommended a pair of articles by Zhao Jian which relates to the status of 'knightly' classes in East Zhou stories and relates in part to the birth of the romanticism of swords & swordsmanship (I am told) so analyis of period history is a whole subject in itself.
We need not just be all warm and fuzzy or apply cultural relativity or equal weighting to all stories about an era or subject since they are something that still needs interpretation and a degree of critical examination, for example if Sima Qian says the Xiongnu built not towns (he does) yet archaeology reveals a walled settlement in the steppe as a centre of metallurgy & production (it has) then of course we need to realise that not all history...present or ancient...should be taken without any thought.
This is not 'ignoring' myths. Peter, you miss the point. If anything I have a valid paradigm for the "symbolic value" you keep mentioning and in this I am telling you the myths were so important even in the late East Zhou, this is why the swords are appearing in graves dating from this time!
Think about it. It hardly diminishes anything, beyond saying they date from this time due to the myths themselves but are not likely to all be original Wu/Yue weapons as attributed (Wu was long destroyed). The Ou Yezi stuff is even later, and part of an evolution, then we have dragons and other stuff even later. This is what I have deduced via many discussions on this and my research is not complete but I see more potential here than just being caught up in the romanticism and then not thinking about it any futher. That is simple academic method and just because the Easter Bunny & Easter eggs has a link back to pre-Christian pagan fertility symbology it doesnt mean we need to revere in the importance of the Easter Bunny when we study the pagan belief systems. It doesn't kill a story at all, it provides a deeper understanding if we know where and when it comes from. If I discuss the preceding symbology of the eggs & fertility, I am not killing the bunny. The bunny is there as trivia, but to the people before Christianity...let's be clear, the chocolate bunny is irrelevant and we can put it to one side when we examine the original period. I really do not understand why there is any reason to defend the 'myths' of what they meant to people in the more recent past when they are all fine in themselves and hardly something that needs defending, only needing to be qualified and examined (and perhaps seperating a fictional story first created 35 generations after the period) with a view to finding the greater truth about the ancient period.
Yes. Facts are something that can be established. You seem to imply this is not the case but I can only lead a horse to water. We come at this 2 ways, investigate the swords archaeological context & physical metallurgical properties and then examine the myths seperately and decide if there is in fact any reason to associate the well known stories to the numerous swords that are presently linked to the Wu/Yue legends in Chinese museums.
The link is there I believe via the legends, but perhaps not a link contemporary to the actual S&A kings themselves.
This would mean they may not be exactly what they are supposed to be according to the label, but instead testify to the way in which the Wu/Yue saga was already being romanticised by the Warring States period.
You are right Peter, that the legends one way or another are part of the swords history (perhaps the legends more than the real kings is my point).
I would not either assume that every bit of the 'true' cross, or iron nail, or piece of shroud bought to Europe by crusading knights from the Holy Lands was actually used in the crucifixion of Jesus either, even if people had revered the various pieces for nearly 1,000 years. Some might just be, but it is fairly certain that not all are. What people 'believe' will only get you so far if authenticity is also important and could concievably be deduced. Consider the "Spear of Destiny". More than one of those has turned up over the last 2,000 years, and the most famous example in Austria is apparently a 7th century AD spear based on a 21st century investigation.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 2 of 5

Jump to: