Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Christian G. Cameron wrote:
Quote:
Christian Cameron, he is better known for his historical fiction set in ancient Greece, but his new series, started with "The Ill-Made Knight" is probably his best work to date. I greatly prefer it to Cornwall. He also has "Tom Swan", as a serial it is short little episodes packed with action (for next to nothing). For 'historical fantasy' you could try his "cousin" Miles Cameron and "The Red Knight". What I find most appealing about Mr. Cameron's work, besides the feeling of reality it has, is the fact that his characters never seem as if they were 21st century people in the past.

Well, I AM Christian Cameron (thanks Jason) and I appreciate the push. :blush: But let me recommend Dorothy Dunnett, both the Niccolo series (15th c.) and the Francis Crawford (16th c. Scotland) and the 'King Hereafter' (Viking era Macbeth) as well as S.K. Penman and --well, and virtually all the other books recommended here. Duggan for sure. And does anyone else read Cecelia Holland? She can be bleak--as in everyone dies bleak--but she sure knows her history.

What a pleasant surprise, I was just about to recommend your book The Ill-Made Knight when I saw that you had posted here. I recently purchased the kindle version off Amazon due to previous recommendations in this thread and loved it. Excellent characters that felt historical in their thoughts and motives rather than modern. Moreover, I was surprised at how exciting and visceral you were able to render medieval battles in prose. de Charny's last stand at Poitiers in particular left a powerful impression. I'll be sure to check out your other works as well since this one was so much fun to read.
Finally, a topic where I am qualified to chime in... I am a seasoned reenactor, but not an authority on blade geometry or Schornhau footwork. But I do love medieval stuff, and have read a ton of books.

I will join in the acclaims for Bernard Cornwell. His style is very nitty gritty and not really poetic, but the stories are well researched, and have a very authentic feel. And for fantasy, George R.R. Martin is unsurpassed. But I want to put a new name into this melee:

Tim Willocks, "The Religion", a masterpiece of historical drama/swashbuckling adventure. An extremely gory account of the siege of Malta, 1565, and a far fetched conspiracy and an unbelievable love story tossed into it to boot. My favourite historical novel, reminds me of how Andre Dumas' novels from 16th/17th Century France sparked my passion for history in the first place.

Tim Willocks has a new novel out right now: "The twelwe children of Paris", probably "La Reine Margot" for the 21st Century. I am soo looking forward to reading this, saving it for Christmas break!
I always recommend "Ash - A secret History" by Mary Gentle. Lots of armor, mud, blood, poleaxes and death in an alternative 15th century europe. Well worth it. It can be a bit hard to come by though.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: