Jousting helm lining
Hello,

I recently found some interesting pictures of the lining/suspension from several Jousting helms, but the pictures were rather small. I'm hoping some of you have larger pictures and/or more information.

The linings are shaped like a coif including padding over the throat and up to the chin. There are several wide horizontal straps, at chin and forhead level, as well as what appears to be ties made of fabric. They appear to be the same as the padded 'harnishe-kappe' shown in ffoulkes, "The Armorer and His Craft" on page 89, fig. 42.1

I'd like to build one but need more information.

Thanks.
Like this one?

Attachment: 49.9 KB
TiltHelmLining.jpg

Chad Arnow wrote:
Like this one?

Yup. I wonder why the lining is held in by leather laces instead of being rivetted or sewed in like I've seen on other examples.

I believe that the horizontal straps go through the helm in the back so you can buckle the chin strap from the outside (that's what squires are for).

Thanks.
Lacing a lining in makes it more easily replaceable. There are a number of frog-mouth jousting helms with lacing holes for similar lacings.
I understand that the straps went from the front of the padding (inside the helmet) and out, around outside of the back of the helmet in order to push the helmet forwards leaving a considerable gap between the face and front of the helm so it can take a lance hit.

So any front-on impact will push on the straps rather than the face - if you follow. I have a pic of it somewhere in an osprey book on tournaments.

Cheers,
Brian
These linings are to be used with Stechhelms, the large 'frogmouthed' jousting helms that bolt down to the cuirass used in the GeminDeutscheGestech (I have probably spelt that incorrectly :D )

The reason for the straps and laces is that they are passed out through various slots and holes and the helm and secured to each other. This gives a suspension harness effect inside the helm holding the head cushioned in a webbing of these laces and straps.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: