Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Teaser photos for new product line Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Nick B.

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: China swords         Reply with quote

I for one would rather own one good sword like a Albion then six made in China junk. I purchased a China made sword from a major sword company once. The blade broke in my hand when I was cleaning the shipping lube off it. Not a sword I would want to have my life depend on. I read in one test report where another sword from this same company had its blade broken in shipping. I think the company is now getting its swords made in india.
Take warning Valiant Armoury, it is easier to keep a good Rep then it is to get one back again.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: China swords         Reply with quote

Nick B. wrote:
I for one would rather own one good sword like a Albion then six made in China junk. I purchased a China made sword from a major sword company once. The blade broke in my hand when I was cleaning the shipping lube off it. Not a sword I would want to have my life depend on. I read in one test report where another sword from this same company had its blade broken in shipping. I think the company is now getting its swords made in india.
Take warning Valiant Armoury, it is easier to keep a good Rep then it is to get one back again.

Well, good quality control of each sword received and a clause allowing substandard ones to be returned to the makers in the contract might work ? ( assuming it's not to late i.e. contracts already signed ).

Even if 1 in 10 was " scrap " but the rest were excellent, all that matters is that the " scrap " never gets into the hands of the buyers. If the makers only get paid for good swords there would be no incentive to cut corners !

At worse a bad one getting into a buyers hands should be a very rare event and fully guaranteed for a replacement or full refund including all shipping costs.

Oh, and having a bad experience " ONCE " leaves one cautious or skeptical about the quality of products from similar sources but it doesn't mean that everything from China is badly made. ( Although, there are a lot of negative stories about bad copies of stuff like toothpaste made in China in the news that don't inspire too much confidence ).

In any case we should welcome new mid-range swords coming into the market and not just focus on the negative and give it a fair chance before jumping all over it. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

Feedback score: 100%
(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please keep in mind where you guys are posting. This is the "Makers and Manufacturers" forum. It is a place for makers to post announcements and utilize as promotional tool. Should you wish to discuss some of these issues that are larger than what this particular forum is intended, then I encourage you to place a post in our Off-Topic Forum where it is appropriate to do so. Posts such as some seen above are counter-productive to intention of the Makers forum.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, those two are just gorgeous. Especially the longsword.

I can't wait to see how the final product will turn out...

I'm also very curious about this new "sparring" line. When can we expect to see prototypes or sketches from those ?

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, it's almost Christmas. Has anyone heard anything more about this line.....I seem to remember hearing something about them possibly being delayed till January or longer?
Thanks,
Dan
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just bumping this out of curiosity.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Pierre T.

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too am quite curious about this new line. They look beautiful, that's for sure, and I'm looking forward to hear about how they perform etc.

Pierre
Paul Southren

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Reproduced from my the news section of my latest website:

Quote:
VALIANT ARMOURY NEWS: 11th NOVEMBER 2007

The momentum is building, but the much anticipated Signature line by Valiant Armoury is not the kind of project that should be rushed.

After a very interesting, and quite long phone conversation with Sonny Suttles, the new owner of Valiant Armoury since late 2006, I have to say that I am VERY excited about where he is taking this line...

The basic premise is simple.

Take the excellent blade designs and geometry of the legendary sword maker Angus Trim. Combine them with the beautiful fittings made by Christian Fletcher. But make the swords affordable and readily available – by making the blades and the cast fittings in China, but keep control of the project and the QC by doing all the finishing touches and assembly in the US...

Now you might be thinking, what kind of quality can we expect from ‘made in China’ blades? Especially as these swords will be available (with scabbards) for under US$500? But the reality is, there are forges in China that make some of the best quality, yet low priced production blades around.

Sonny didn’t say which forges he is using, nor should he. But he did say that for this project he is using only the best. The kind of forges with a proven track record - that REALLY KNOW how to make a good sword to the exacting specifications of Gus and Christian.

And the preliminary results demonstrate that their project is definitely on the right track.

WHAT TO EXPECT

The first prototypes back from the forge are blades that are what they had been hoping for. Lightweight, yet with enough resilience and high quality tempering that they can be put in a vice and bent 90 degrees and spring back to true without even a hint that they had been bent at all...

But as we all know, a good blade is not the end story. For the sword itself to be well balanced and totally functional, the fittings have to be spot on – each and every time. And Sonny and his A class designers have that covered too...

Christian Fletcher will be sending moulds of his hilts to China to be cast to ensure that they are a consistent weight and balance, and all the components will be carefully inspected for flaws before final assembly in the US, as well as local work on the dying of the leather wrappings and scabbards to meet Christian’s exacting specifications.

JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG...

The first three designs in the signature line are just the beginning.

Indeed, when I spoke to Sonny he told me that there are prototypes and designs that make these stunning swords look PLAIN by comparison!

Sonny’s voice was filled with passion when he told me that his biggest priority is to give sword enthusiasts tremendous value for money. And the designs he alluded to he assured me were unlike any ever seen at this price point.

THE $64,000 QUESTION...

So by now the big question is, WHEN will this line be released and for how much?

A lot of people (myself included) can hardly stand the anticipation any longer. We want to see them, handle them and by goodness, cut with them! Some people even wake up in the morning with an image of the Bristol, the Kreigschwert or the Castile burned into their retinas from their dreams... (Slight exaggeration, but perhaps not far from the truth for some!).

As yet, I regret to say that there is no definitive answer...

Collaborations like this cannot be rushed. And with names such as Angus Trim and Christian Fletcher attached to these projects, you can bet your bottom dollar that they won’t sign off on an inferior product.

It’s going to take time to train the US team, time to smooth out any unforseen issues that may arise. And the first three almost certainly won’t be available this year. But the extra wait will be more than worthwhile.

But it is going to take a little more time. Time to make sure that they aren’t just ‘good enough’ – but that they are such breathtakingly beautiful, yet affordable swords, that they will revitalize and revolutionize the entire industry...

Paul Southren

[/img]
James Martin

PostPosted: Wed 19 Dec, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the Castile. It has very clean lines.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Teaser photos for new product line
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: