Go to page Previous  1, 2

Christopher Lee wrote:
Sorry if this is a truly dumb question, but how did you remove the colour of the cross and take it back to satin finsh? What method did you use and how would a person go about it?

The bluing is just patination / controlled oxidation so any type of polishing compound, such as Metal Glo, will remove it.
Christopher Lee wrote:
Sorry if this is a truly dumb question, but how did you remove the colour of the cross and take it back to satin finsh? What method did you use and how would a person go about it?

As Nathan said, this finish should come off with enough polishing. To strip it quickly a sanding sponge will work just fine, but I also used a brass brush drill bit--that's a metal hub with brass bristles radiating outward. You can find those at home improvement stores. They fit in any standard electric drill. If that doesn't take the finish far enough back for your tastes, you can then experiment with different grades of sandpaper.
Sean, you've done a really nice job on your hilt, I've not tried anything to that extent yet but I have a couple of blades with broken tangs, Cold Steel Gross Messer and the Hanwei Lowlander. Lot's of high quality power tools including the deluxe Rotozip.
Not having started either of these projects is another reason I admire the craftsmanship that you've accomplished and it came out looking very professional. I agree with Jean, some of these Windlass and Hanwei swords of which I have a few of each are really nice swords and when someone has the talent and know how to do what you have, they can make that Windlass or Hanwei look to be a serious competitor of the premium swords from Arms & Armor, Albion and others.
I have the Arms & Armor German Bastard Sword, in fact it was my first sword after a 2 year contemplation since my first sword was an almost sacred selection.

Outstanding work Sean :!:

Bob
Thanks, Bob! I'm jealous of your A&A GBS. That was a great choice!
I wish I had the skill to re-finnish my old DT Bastard Sword. The handle is loose and needs recovering.
[ Linked Image ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: