Arizona Coleman wrote:
Thank you so much for the vote of confidence! Hearing about your humble beginnings is a true inspiration to me and many others in my position who have/will read this. I have to ask...did you start with a dishing stump or a bag of sand or did you actually have/improvise raising stakes?

Long days and pleasant nights to you Thorkil

No problem. :-)

I am not sure if I understood every technical words, you guys have written, but I will try to answer.

I was making my first helmets, heating the steel on stove used to warm the house (I don't know how exactly it is in English) and forging on old shell of a tank (from 2nd WW) :lol: because I had nor an anvil nor hearth. First I couldn't even imagine that it is possible to forge without heat tread. ;) My first helmet I was making quite long, but it turn out to be very good and very strong, probably by accident ;), as I was fighting in it for 5 year (we are using head shots in Poland), then I sold it for good money. ;) After having made those first helmets I learnt forging without heat tread and I made by myself few stakes. I noticed quite fast that mild steel is "piece of shit" for helmets and it isn't suitable for really tuff fight with using axes. So, I started to make helmets of constructional steel, hot rolled - this steel is much harder than mild steel. But I still was making 'on cold", with only already mentioned stakes and woodcut with depresion. I have made this way lots of really good helmets of 2,5mm thickness. But for this technique and this thickness you have to use hammers of weight : 1 kg, 1,5kg and 2kg. After some time I made and bought some tools for raising with heat tread. Now I make armours of many steel kinds (even spring steel and stainless) and with using many techniques (also raising of one piece of steel), depending on what I make and what customer requires. But I have never used any forms, press or any other machines shaping steel -only hand hammers and the strength of my arms. And I don't intend. More : I don't recommend you using forms etc, because you will never learn how to forge well if you will be using those kind of machines. I don't have tools for mass production - I work only for commision. This way I choose is more difficult, more time-consuming but this is real craftmanship. I think this is the best way if you want to attain real perfection in this craft.

Nathan gave you good advise:
Nathan Keysor wrote:
Depending on how much metal working experience you have I would suggest making a couple great helms or spangen helms before you try to raise one out of one piece.

You need few years of practice with metal working before you will be able to raise a helmet of one piece of steel.

Greetings,
Thorkil.

Attachment: 57.59 KB
E 301.jpg
Me raising helmet of one piece.