Museum replicas limited grosse messer
Hi im interested in buying a grosse messer, but i dont really want to go a custom route for financial constraints. and after reading the review for the cold steel grosse messer and hearing what happened to a few owned by forum users i am going to stay away from that one. but in the review for the messer it mentions one thats one mueseum replicas limited made by windlass steelcrafts, yet i have been on the site and im unable to find it. is it discontinued or does anyone know where i can look at one? also is it two handed like the cold steel one? thanks in advance
The Windlass model has been discontinued for a long, long time now.
HAHAHA thanks again nathan, you always seem to be there to help me out XD i figured as much, everytime i searched for it it came up with the cold steel one.....and i avoid that one like the plague
Just for the record,
My Instructor owns the MRL model. In a nutshell It felt heavy and not very lively in the hands.
I also heard a couple stories of the blade being brittle.
Also, for the record, I don't hate the Cold Steel grosse messer. Yes, it's heavy; and yes, the cross guard is ugly and modern looking. However, many respected reproduction swords are just as heavy, or nearly so. The blade is a monster, and there is a lot of cutting power. It is a great sword for building up sword swining muscle. It also has decent balance.

It is a very simple, almost elegant weapon. Overbuilt, but so was a certain famous Scottish sword.
its not the look of it i dislike, but the fact i heard the hilt breaks. i actually like the look of it, and idk if they made newr versions with improved hilt structure?
Cold Steel Grosse Messer
Chris,

I own the Cold Steel version and I love it! It's a tough sword and the rosewood grip slabs are beautiful. The blade is not brittle at all. I use it as a live steel practice blade for my Albion Knecht. You can buy the sword for around $160.00 from the link below---they are a reliable dealer. Quit letting people scare you---for the price you can't go wrong.

http://www.swordcenter.com/
i guess you are right, it is only 160 dollars. im not sure i may end up picking one up to see for myself, thanks to everyone for there responses.
Hey Chris,
I was only talking about the MRL messer. If it helps with the CS decision, I have heard the CS return policy /customer service is excellent when it comes to replacing a broken product.
Chuck Wyatt wrote:
If it helps with the CS decision, I have heard the CS return policy /customer service is excellent when it comes to replacing a broken product.

A good thing, especially in the case of that model. Two members of this forum have had the CS messer break on soft targets. One broke at the tang and another broke about a third of the way up from the guard. That second one was done in by a mere pumpkin. :eek:

Perhaps they've improved the sword since then. Just in case, a fencing mask or some other form of eye protection might be a good investment with all of the money you'll save. ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: