Authenticity of blade?
I am trying to find out what the authenticity of the tip of this blade is. It is from a Museum Replicas sword they called their "Bastard" Sword. I am just wondering if a blade tip like this has any basis in history or is just a creation by Museum Replicas? Any help would be appreciated.

Scott,
I've seen a few with somewhat angular tips, but I can't recall any that are quite as angular as that. I'll look a little more and see what I can find.
I've seen them on swords from the 16th century before.

Attachment: 18.97 KB
G27525 ca1600.jpg

Chad Arnow wrote:
Scott,
I've seen a few with somewhat angular tips, but I can't recall any that are quite as angular as that. I'll look a little more and see what I can find.

Chad,
Thank you. I was hoping some of the members here with access to sources would be able to help me with this.

Werner Stiegler wrote:
I've seen them on swords from the 16th century before.

Werner,
Thank you for the picture. According to MRL's description of this item they date it roughly to 1485 and the Battle of bosworth Field. It made me do a double take when I recently read it as I have seen no other blades attributed to that period that looked like it. Mind you my research and knowledge are both limited as I have only really started to look seriously at this in the past year.

The main reason I am asking is that I am contemplating my next sword and am throwing some ideas around as to what I want. Any more help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
For what it's worth, I've seen a few such tips in artwork from around that period.

Attachment: 38.02 KB
DSCN1699.jpg
The sword wielded by St George in the large sculpture of him slaying the dragon in Stockholm's cathedral. Bernt Notke, finished in 1489. I'm sorry about the picture quality.

Attachment: 53.77 KB
Dscn1322.jpg
Sculpture of St Michel, made by an unnamed north german master. Early 16th century.

Attachment: 53.95 KB
Dscn1311.jpg
Grave cover for the grave of Holmger Knutsson. Late 15th century.
Kjell,
Thank you for the pictures. They are pretty good and it is great that they are from the correct era as well. If anyone else has any pictures they can post would be great.

Thank you,
Scott

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: