Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL items Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: New MRL items         Reply with quote

I just received an MRL catalogue last week. They have some interesting new items in most categories. However, I can't figure out the namings they sometimes use or the dating they sometimes assign. Happy

For instance, there is their "Late Spanish Sword" which they date to circa 1480:

Unusual, but interesting and historical. It appears to be based on a sword possibly made in Venice and definitely housed in Florence (yep, Italy), dated to circa 1500. Here's the Italian text from the book I found it in:

Unreliable OCR software wrote:

Venezia ?, c. 1500
Spada di stocco

Fornimento in bronzo, con pomo a lira, già dorato, sgusciato profilato e messo a giorno da due fori circolari e da due mistilinei. Impugnatura fasciata di spago coperto di pelle scura, non sua. Elso coi bracci leggermente volti in basso e finiti a controcurva; escono da un massello messo a giorno da due fori circolari e ornato di sgusci e profilature, formanti scudetto. Sono a sezione di esagono, con sgusci alla metà esterna superiore. II massello è messo a giorno da due fan cui ne corrispondono altri nella parte superiore della larna, sua, a sezione di rombo (a e b). Proviene dalla Collezione Carrand.
[1052 X 2220; 840 X 67; 1300]

Il rapporto elso-lama ricorda quello dde cinquedee per Ia presenza dei fori corrispondentisi, che perb qui non sono bloccati dai perni limati a cieca. Il pomo ricorda quello della spada del Sodoma, richiamata alla fig. 147 e quella del San Michele del Botticelli agli Uffizi databile intorno al 1490-1495. Nella Collezione Carrand al Bargello, è conservato un pomo di analoga struttura (c).

They also have an "Early Spanish Sword" they date to circa 1300:

Note that its blade and furniture put it in that family of swords that includes the sword of Henry V, the sword in the Royal Armouries that Albion based the Kingmaker off of and numerous others. Those all date to the 15th century pretty convincingly. Oakeshott says the family saw its popularity from circa 1410 through perhaps 1550. While diamond cross-section sword blades can be found in period art (like the effigy of one of the Longspee's in Canterbury Cathedral) late in the 13th century, a date of circa 1300 for a hollow-ground diamond section blade would be unusual (though perhaps plausible--just barely).

Interestingly enough, I found a similar sword to MRL's in the same book as the possible inspiration for their "Late Spanish Sword." It shares a diamond section blade, though with a much stouter mid-rib, a guard with three trios of incised lines on the ecusson like the MRL piece, and a pommel whose raised rim is not raised very far and is oddly flat. It's housed in Madrid and dated to 1490-1500. It looks kind of similar and may be MRL's inspiration, though the dating is way off. Since it resides in the Real Armeria in Madrid you can probably call it Spanish though it's published in a book about Italian edged weapons. Happy

They also have a new rondel dagger of unusual form. I'd love to see the inspiration for it. Looks kind of cool.

They also have a new great helm that they call a "Crusader Great Helm":

Attachment: 12.79 KB
latespanish1.jpg
Venetian sword

Attachment: 41.5 KB
latespanish2.jpg
Hilt

Attachment: 29.82 KB
earlyspanish.jpg
Madrid sword

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would bet that the early spanish sword shares the same blade as the old Arbedo. They look fairly similar to me, and if I remember the stats correctly from eyeballing them, share similar properties.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it does share the same blade....a MRL representative said that it was close, but not the same blade. I think the main difference may be the thickness...I know the Arbedo had a famously thin and whippy blade. This one is 3/16th " thick. It also is slightly hollow ground (I don't think the Arbedo was.) However, it looks like the thicker blade has changed the handling characteristics in the wrong direction. I assume it's not whippy, but it now has a balance point of 6-8 " and a weight of 3 lbs 6 oz.
Oh well,
Dan
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's interesting, thanks Dan! Its a nifty looking sword.
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Martin Whalen

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm not too interested in these new ones, it seems Windlass only adds late medieval swords lately. They should re-make some of their old retired ancient styles better than the old models and bring them back to life instead imo. If I see another 1300-1600 A.D. sword from Windlass I'm gonna puke!! Worried Worried Worried
Luceo Non Uro.
Eric Spitler

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Whalen wrote:
Hmm, I'm not too interested in these new ones, it seems Windlass only adds late medieval swords lately. They should re-make some of their old retired ancient styles better than the old models and bring them back to life instead imo. If I see another 1300-1600 A.D. sword from Windlass I'm gonna puke!! Worried Worried Worried

They seem to have an aversion to anything that doesn't have a central ridge- too hard to mass produce maybe. Worried
Martin Whalen

PostPosted: Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Spitler wrote:
Martin Whalen wrote:

They seem to have an aversion to anything that doesn't have a central ridge- too hard to mass produce maybe. Worried

Ah, that's probably it then. Oh well, the new offerings aren't too bad I guess, although I really don't see the point of the "Early Spanish Sword", it seems I've seen swords of that type/general style being offered waaay to much for my own good.

Make us some decent viking/dark age/early middle age stuff Windlass!! I might become a customer again if you do. Wink

Luceo Non Uro.
Brian Hook

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That rondel is very disappointing, even if it is based on a historical piece, it's quite ugly. They could have picked a much nice one to make.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by that Early Spanish Sword. And that is saying a lot considering it's a Windlass.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

Did you see a new falcion as well, I see one on their online website that I don't recognize that looks interesting with a fluted? pommel and actually nice looking scabbard. Maybe called footsoldier's falcion? I saw it last week.

Frustratingly, since they redesigned there website, they don't seem to post the relevant stats for the pieces, so I don't know the new falcion's blade lenght.

If you locate it could you post a picture of it please?

Thanks,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again,

Would really be nice if MRL had a website that showed "new items" and didn't make you seach all over the place. I also see a "five lobed viking sword" and a bronze-hilted "bronze age sword" that I don't recall seeing before in additon to the Foot soldier's falchion. Perhaps a "dark age sword" as well, but maybe that was not new....

They sure make it difficult to navigate around their site to find anything... but at least they are still putting out some interesting new items...

Cheers,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terry Crain wrote:
Chad,

Did you see a new falcion as well, I see one on their online website that I don't recognize that looks interesting with a fluted? pommel and actually nice looking scabbard. Maybe called footsoldier's falcion? I saw it last week.

Frustratingly, since they redesigned there website, they don't seem to post the relevant stats for the pieces, so I don't know the new falcion's blade lenght.

If you locate it could you post a picture of it please?

Thanks,

Terry

I did see it. It's this one:

It seems their website leaves out info not in the main item description paragraph in the printed catalogue. This includes stats, lines like "the original can be seen in XX book" and "Circa ______". That's all helpful info to know and doesn't seem to make it onto their website.

I will say their website is one of the least helpful out there. The search function isn't very smart. For example, when searching for great helm you get any item that is a helm or has a description using the word great or the word helm. Too many results. For many search functions, you could simply throw quotes around both words and only get items with the complete phrase "great helm." This doesn't work on their site. You can, however, use their advanced Search page which is just a couple of extra clicks away. Not a huge deal but the advanced search page seems to be the only way to get any useful results.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Terry Crain wrote:
Hello again,

Would really be nice if MRL had a website that showed "new items" and didn't make you seach all over the place. I also see a "five lobed viking sword" and a bronze-hilted "bronze age sword" that I don't recall seeing before in additon to the Foot soldier's falchion. Perhaps a "dark age sword" as well, but maybe that was not new....

They sure make it difficult to navigate around their site to find anything... but at least they are still putting out some interesting new items...

Cheers,

Terry

On the advanced search page you can specify items added to the inventory within certain timeframes. I searched for items added within the last month ad got a number of hits.

Here's the five lobed Viking sword:

Here's their "Dark Ages sword:"

And a "German Hand and a Half Sword" (dated circa 1300 by MRL??):

"Hungarian Sword:"

"Naumberg sword:"

"Primitive Scottish Dirk:"

"Swedish Viking Sword:"

Happy

ChadA

Martin Whalen

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
On the advanced search page you can specify items added to the inventory within certain timeframes. I searched for items added within the last month and got a number of hits.

Thanks for posting those pics, I must have not looked to hard at my new catalog, those are in there but they look new to my eyes.

Might pick up that Hungarian Sword.... Looks like it handles well, and I like the overall design. Razz

Luceo Non Uro.
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree 100% with Johnathan, that Spanish Sword is intriguing, especially considering it is a Windlass and not an
Arms & Armor or an Albion Exclamation

Bob
Mike Arledge

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that the early Spanish one looks nifty. But I am not terribly hopeful about it. I would imagine places like KOA might have it soon, and priced for around $200, and if its going on the wall, that might be fine. But I have reviewed and handled many of the newer, better looking Windlass pieces lately, and aside from looking better, they still suffer the same problems more often than not. Sad. Maybe one day they will really get it right and designs like this will be backed up with performance!
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Tue 09 Oct, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: hello         Reply with quote

hello guys .. somebody knows the lenght of the German Hand and a Half Sword?? -- in my opinion the grip seems too short for being a hand and half sword .. but maybe am wrong .. :C
“I came, I saw, God conquered"
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: hello         Reply with quote

Julian Arellano wrote:
hello guys .. somebody knows the lenght of the German Hand and a Half Sword?? -- in my opinion the grip seems too short for being a hand and half sword .. but maybe am wrong .. :C

Here are the stats from the printed catalogue:

Overall: 42 1/4"
Blade: 34", 1 7/8" wide, 3/16" thick
Weight: 2 lbs, 7 oz.

While the leather-covered grip is too short for a hand a half, keep in mind the pommel is shaped to be an extension of the grip. Between the grip and grippable portion of the pommel, you can call it a hand and a half. My problem is that its pommel style wasn't popular till well after 1300 (actually probably after 1400).

Happy

ChadA

Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: ...         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Chad .. am agree with you about the pommel style.. Big Grin
“I came, I saw, God conquered"
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the 'Swedish Viking Sword'...maybe cause I'm half Swedish.

It appears to be modeled on a famous sword from the Stockholm Museum of National Antiquities (right side of picture below), which also appears on the cover of "Vikings: Culture and Conquest" by Arnold.

They have taken some liberties with it though, such as lengthening the handle which would likely make it more comfortable and better balanced for the modern user. I wonder if the nasty looking spur-like pommel was purely decorative or meant to fulfill some more practical purpose (yech).

- JD

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL items
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: