Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 11th Century Daggers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: 12th C stuff         Reply with quote

Hi Craig

First off need to correct myself. Those are in the London Museum. Not sure what the date fix is for these whether context or similar example. I would hope it is some form of context. This museum is quite good at that type of thing.

The page below is from a book on Knives and Scabbards they put out and shows the knives from 12th C context. The variety of blade shapes can be seen and is indicative of the fact that we tend to want to say that something is this or that by shape and that can trip one up on dating.

I think the problem with daggers is that much of the dating is done by art comparison. This is a strong way to apply a solid date to a piece. In the case of daggers it leaves one with a gap from late Nordic art to the late 13th early 14th C when we get more and divergent depictions of the common soldier and civilian and the weapons they carried.

Earlier European Art has a tendency to depict the Biblical Highlights and the more mundane aspects of life are not shown as regularly as later art examples. This bears out when looking at the books on daggers and knives and they basically jump from Saxes of the 10th C to the multiple dagger styles of the late 13th early 14th C.

The two daggers I pictured are a good example of this. One is depicted in Petersons book and listed as 14th C. This is from 1968. The book that comments on them being 12th C is a recent publication by Thompson. One anticipates that there is more recent done to support the date that is in the newer reference. The work on this type of material is not great so there is a lot of good research that needs to be done and I think the picture you found opens a good window into realizing the 14th C probably did not see an explosion of new dagger types in its first two decades but that these were around and many like the antenna style hilt have probably always been around in some form.

Best
Craig

Attachment: 25.35 KB
12thCknivessm.jpg

Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The last example gives me the impression that most of what is depicted are probably "single edged" implements, still suited for stabbing.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 12th C stuff         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Craig

First off need to correct myself. Those are in the London Museum. Not sure what the date fix is for these whether context or similar example. I would hope it is some form of context. This museum is quite good at that type of thing.

The page below is from a book on Knives and Scabbards they put out and shows the knives from 12th C context. The variety of blade shapes can be seen and is indicative of the fact that we tend to want to say that something is this or that by shape and that can trip one up on dating.

So are you saying then that in your opinion, the other weapons on the page could be daggers? If that's the case, I'll grant you that some of the knives from the image you posted have fairly rounded points.

Quote:
The two daggers I pictured are a good example of this. One is depicted in Petersons book and listed as 14th C. This is from 1968. The book that comments on them being 12th C is a recent publication by Thompson. One anticipates that there is more recent done to support the date that is in the newer reference.

What's the name of this publication by Thompson?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
I would be leary of assuming a diamond profile, or assuming a similarity with later dagger blades simply because the pommels share a similar design. I would guess that dagger blades would have undergone as much change as sword blades from the period, as well as being influenced by those changes. Although a nice proof of existence, a line drawing like this isn't enough IMO to start making guesses for a reproduction. Darn it! I was hoping for alittle more detail Cry

Truly Robin, if as Craig Johnson says, there's good evidence to support dating the two daggers he posted from the 12th century, then taking the bottom one as a starting point and replacing it with an antenna pommel is probably quite reasonable as an interpretation of an 11th century dagger. At this point, it's about the best you can do, and let's face it: now that we have evidence that daggers of this nature existed in your favourite time period, do you really want to leave your kit without one? I know I wouldn't.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Truly Robin, if as Craig Johnson says, there's good evidence to support dating the two daggers he posted from the 12th century, then taking the bottom one as a starting point and replacing it with an antenna pommel is probably quite reasonable as an interpretation of an 11th century dagger. At this point, it's about the best you can do, and let's face it: now that we have evidence that daggers of this nature existed in your favourite time period, do you really want to leave your kit without one? I know I wouldn't.

You convince M'lady Melissa that I should go ahead and commission a custom piece, when our son is due in December (especially since I just bought not 1, but 2 Albions in the last few months), and I'll tell you how the project turns out. Wink Razz
No, but seriously I wish it were in the stars for me right now, but with our first child on the way, it's something I have to put on the backburner. Hopefully by this time next year, she'll have forgotten about the Albions, and I can sneak such a piece past. Laughing Out Loud

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I believe Craig Johnson is referring to Logan Thompson's book Daggers and Bayonets. The caption for that image (which also included a fragmentary dagger) is: quillon daggers from London, late 12th century onwards.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
I believe Craig Johnson is referring to Logan Thompson's book Daggers and Bayonets. The caption for that image (which also included a fragmentary dagger) is: quillon daggers from London, late 12th century onwards.

Chad,

Do you know if the book gives any reason for revising the earlier estimate dating the dagger to the 14th century?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

Chad,

Do you know if the book gives any reason for revising the earlier estimate dating the dagger to the 14th century?

It doesn't. I'm not sure many general books like Thompson's would go into that kind of detail, though.

All it shows is the picture and caption in this case.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 11th Century Daggers
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: