Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Michael,

As Lance has hinted at, it's been my experience that certain types of sword require less stingent form and edge placement when cutting. For example, I've got an Albion Sempach; as a Type XVII, it's probably the least conducive form of military blade to cut with. Recently, I've been trying to cut the card board tubes from carpet rolls, which are not easy targets to cut. This is compounded by the fact that the tubes can easily be tipped or knocked over with the current set up I've got.

For quite some time, I was not able to cut at all with my Sempach. I could put dents into the tubing, and slices from where the sword impacted, but no real hewing damage occurred. By contrast, the lenticular blade of my Knight was much more forgiving. Although I had some difficulties cutting with it at first, I was fairly quickly able to hew quite deeply into the tube. After spending more time with my Sempach, I finally put a deep cut which left my Sempach hanging from the side of the tube when I released my grip. By that point, I was wondering if I even could cut the tube with my Sempach, and it turns out you can, but you need to be pretty much spot-on with edge alignment and delivery. Even now, my successful cuts against these thick carboard tubes have to be at least 2:1 or 3:1 in favour of my Knight.

If you're cutting against a more difficult target, I would highly recommend taking a passing step forward. Also, if you cut from Vom Tach with your sword resting on your shoulder, try raising it above your shoulder and see if that helps at all.
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
- an estimation of the center of rotation of the sword just before impact (I would guess left hand, somewhere around kashira)

Okay, I know how to get the other stuff...how do I measure this?
Michael Edelson wrote:
- an estimation of the center of rotation of the sword just before impact (I would guess left hand, somewhere around kashira)

I don't know of any easy way to measure it, that's why I said "an estimation"... I guess this kind of thing can be seen on videos. Or you can feel it when you cut. When I do, I have pretty strong sensation that my left hand stops in space when the impact occurs, that's why I say kashira. It is really set by the technique of the user and not the sword.

I listed it because it's a parameter we need for the calculation, but if we assume that it is roughly at the left hand in all cases the comparisons should hold, so do not overly worry about it...
Michael Edelson wrote:

I don't know of any easy way to measure it, that's why I said "an estimation"... I guess this kind of thing can be seen on videos. Or you can feel it when you cut. When I do, I have pretty strong sensation that my left hand stops in space when the impact occurs, that's why I say kashira. It is really set by the technique of the user and not the sword.

I listed it because it's a parameter we need for the calculation, but if we assume that it is roughly at the left hand in all cases the comparisons should hold, so do not overly worry about it...

Okay, I'll get you the rest over the weekend.

In the meantime...anyone with a Wind and Thunder want to take some measurements?

I can get the overall length and probably the COG from stats, but I have no way to measure pivot points.
My thought on katana curvature would be the question of how much thre really is in the portion of the blade actually cutting the given medium. Certainly not as much as some horseman's sabres.
[ Linked Image ]

I have though, read one thought that one reason a katana may have some better efficiency is that less force is re-directed to the hilt in a curved blade. Even more so, in the blade pictured above methinks. At the extreme, useful in a passing cut at more than footwork velocity.

I know this started out as longsword and katana but if a katana is a inherently a better cutter, why won't it cut media (not just in my hands) that a similarly weighted and flexible but quite longer XIIIa will, along with a slightly heavier and longer than a katana XVIIIa (Edward III blade Urbino mounts, not as flexible as the XIIIa but more so than a kat)).

I do bow to the katana for some cutting of some media but don't see harmonic deadness, or stiffness to be the real advantages.

Just my take.

GC
Michael Edelson wrote:
Another reason I posted this topic is that I previously made an assertion that a good katana will cut tatami mats better than a good longsword, and that assertion was contested. I wanted to see what others thought.

Actually, if you re-read that thread, you simply claimed a katana was a better cutter, not that it was just a better cutter against tatami mats. See your quote:

Michael Edelson wrote:
A katana is thicker, narrower and much stiffer than a longsword, especially a XIIa, yet it is a much, much better cutter.

I contested the notion because you stated your tests were only against tatami mats and because I wanted results based on testing against more targets with more people doing the cutting before I was willing to concede the title of "Better cutter." :)

Also the initial claim was made that a katana was better than a Type XIIa (the thread is about the Baron), not better than any "good longsword". Again see your quote above. So this current thread is an expansion of the original premise, as we're talking about any longsword and any cutting medium people have experience with.

Trying to find a "better cutter" in one large type (with many variations) over another large type (with many variations) is not something I spend a lot of time trying to do; I don't see the point quite frankly. If I were interested in the best sword against tatami mats, I might pick a katana, because the katana and tatami have a long history together and tatami has long been judged a valid testing gauge for a katana. Therefore, a katana is likely more optimized for facing tatami than a non-katana.

I like European battle swords, which weren't designed to face tatami. :) A sword's effectiveness, to me, goes beyond simply how well it does in one scenario (say, cutting tatami). Swords are a snapshot of an era and area. Trying to compare items from widely disparate cultural, tactical, and manufacturing backgrounds does get us into discussions like the olde "Knight vs. Samurai" discussion.

Proving one is better than another will often be a result of the scenario the sword is subjected to. Cuts against stationery targets is not what the swords were designed to do. Even ignoring that, not everyone will even agree that tatami is the best material to test European swords against.

I don't see a scenario where we'll ever be able to declare one type the winner with total certainty. The scenarios each type was designed to face are so different.

Just my two cents (which means less and less as the dollar drops). :)

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Fri 02 Nov, 2007 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
I don't really feel that curvature has much to do with the katana's superiority when facing tatami mats.

The first time I cut, I used longswords and a Graham katana. The katana worked a lot better for me. I had no JSA/WMA/anything sword-related background, so it can't be a matter of experience or familiarity. And the katana I used was dead straight.

Come to think of it, it's a decent platform for comparing things without having to factor in curvature. Mike, if you ever get another bundle of jack pieces again, you can see how many you get through using my sword.
EDIT: I had a much longer response, but I've decided to simplify it.

Chad,

I don't know what thread you're talking about, but it's not the same one I'm talking about. I have no recollection of comparing a katana to a Baron (doesn't mean I didn't do it). I was referencing a thread on SFI.

I agree with almost everything you said. I too prefer European swords to Japanese swords, though I love both. Despite that, I have had a lot better results with a good (real) katana than any other sword I have ever cut with against a variety of media (such as the linen jack I recently tested), and I can't ignore reality. That is not to say I have not had excellent results with longswords...it's a matter of degrees, not absolutes.

However, the purpose of this thread is not "knight vs. samurai", I am looking for people's opinions on what kind of sword they have had better luck cutting with, and why. That's all.

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Fri 02 Nov, 2007 8:29 pm; edited 5 times in total
Andrew Lee wrote:
I don't really feel that curvature has much to do with the katana's superiority when facing tatami mats.

The first time I cut, I used longswords and a Graham katana. The katana worked a lot better for me. I had no JSA/WMA/anything sword-related background, so it can't be a matter of experience or familiarity. And the katana I used was dead straight.

Come to think of it, it's a decent platform for comparing things without having to factor in curvature. Mike, if you ever get another bundle of jack pieces again, you can see how many you get through using my sword.

Andrew, thank you, I had completely forgotten that that sword was straight.

I've already tried cutting with it (stop smoking crack :) ), that was the katana I compared my longswords to on our cutting day. I too had a much easier time with that sword than the longswords (even with your nasty tennis racket handle). I remember you cut quite well that day....even pulled off a couple of oberhau unterhau combos...I just watched the video....very nice).

Also...this katana was no cheap production piece...this was a high end custom by Randal Graham, and it was, as my gendai, harmonically dead, and, as already mentioned, dead straight.

Last edited by Michael Edelson on Fri 02 Nov, 2007 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
One important thing to remember when cutting is to pick up once in awhile and certainly thank the host.

I don't know if Jay ever forgave us.

Michael, it's one of those perpetual type discussions. Many similar at SFI, a few here. I'm thinking I do remember one here a few months ago.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
One important thing to remember when cutting is to pick up once in awhile and certainly thank the host.

I don't know if Jay ever forgave us.

Michael, it's one of those perpetual type discussions. Many similar at SFI, a few here. I'm thinking I do remember one here a few months ago.

Cheers

GC

Ha! You think that's bad? You should have seen Todd Sullivan's place after the Christian Tobler seminar he hosted. Talk about cutting debris....

:)
Michael Edelson wrote:

Chad,

I don't know what thread you're talking about, but it's not the same one I'm talking about. I have no recollection of comparing a katana to a Baron (doesn't mean I didn't do it). I was referencing a thread on SFI.

Ah, I see. I could have sworn this was in response to the debate we had here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=10522

Sorry if I misunderstood things.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

Chad,

Ah, I see. I could have sworn this was in response to the debate we had here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=10522

Sorry if I misunderstood things.

Oh...that one! I'd forgotten all about it. I just read/skimmed through it. You're fun to debate with. You don't take things personally and you always address all the points raised.

Thanks for reminding me. That was a good thread.

I'm a writer, currently making my living doing tech writing (along with graphic arts and web application programing), and so I'm used to conveying hard facts, not opinions, and consequently I tend to write in absolutes. I just wanted to explain that what I said in that thread was just my opinion, which I don't believe to be infallible, even though I presented my points as facts.

What I'm trying to say is I'm not as hard headed as I appear, it's just the way I write, and I can't help it. Maybe I should add a disclaimer to my signature or something. :)
Michael Edelson wrote:
Oh...that one! I'd forgotten all about it. I just read/skimmed through it. You're fun to debate with. You don't take things personally and you always address all the points raised.

Thanks for reminding me. That was a good thread.

I'm a writer, currently making my living doing tech writing (along with graphic arts and web application programing), and so I'm used to conveying hard facts, not opinions, and consequently I tend to write in absolutes. I just wanted to explain that what I said in that thread was just my opinion, which I don't believe to be infallible, even though I presented my points as facts.

What I'm trying to say is I'm not as hard headed as I appear, it's just the way I write, and I can't help it. Maybe I should add a disclaimer to my signature or something. :)

I enjoy a good debate too. :) What tends to really get in debate mode is when people speak in absolutes, intentionally or not. I think adding the words "in my opinion" here and there can really change the face of a debate. I think internet communication isn't always the best in some ways. For instance, I might be thinking "in my opinion" as I type, but if I neglect to actually type the words, then things can get interesting. :) I think we all do that at times.

As for not taking it personally, that's always my goal. This stuff is a hobby and should be enjoyed. It's not life or death any more.
Chad Arnow wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
Another reason I posted this topic is that I previously made an assertion that a good katana will cut tatami mats better than a good longsword, and that assertion was contested. I wanted to see what others thought.

Actually, if you re-read that thread, you simply claimed a katana was a better cutter, not that it was just a better cutter
I contested the notion because you stated your tests were only against tatami mats and because I wanted results based on testing against more targets with more people doing the cutting before I was willing to concede the title of "Better cutter." :)

Proving one is better than another will often be a result of the scenario the sword is subjected to. Cuts against stationery targets is not what the swords were designed to do. Even ignoring that, not everyone will even agree that tatami is the best material to test European swords against.

Pardon me for snipping this way, but......... a couple of things.......

In the JSA world, they have cutting competitions, which has spawned competition cutters. There's nothing like that in the western sword world. In a very real basis, these competition cutters can easily outcut in tatami, any modern double edged longsword in tatami........

However, in "weapons" terms, it might not be as good a weapon, though I'll leave that for another day.......

I recently got an email, and photos of a cutting session on a recent kill cow carcass. I'm sorry, I won't post them without the sender's permission...... but the results were quite interesting. Longsword, arming swords, and a kat. All cut deeply, effectively, and would most certainly deliver a lethal strike.........

Which also reminds me of an A&A claymore that visited the shop for a cutting session, about 5 years ago. Could not cut a mat at all, just knocked the mat silly, and sent the cutting stand flying. However, the same sword cleaved thru 4 feet of 1/4 plywood effortlessly {I'm sure that there's some folk in this thread that will remember the photos}.......

On kat vs longsword...... my feeling is, that its not a good question, kat vs longsword. Competition cutting kats will outcut any thing but maybe a long messer on the western side, and maybe a long oxtail dao on the Chinese side......

However, there's kats and kats. There's historical kats that are pretty beefy, with a lot of niku. These don't cut tatami nearly as effortlessly as the competition kats.

Longswords and longswords. There's heavy ones, beefy ones, light ones, slender ones, floppy ones, and rigid ones, and all variations in between.

In tatami cutting, edge alignment is paramount. So is a sharp sword. After that though, you have edge geometry, bevel geometry, rigidity, and dynamic/ harmonic balance..........

Its been mentioned that a sword's blade will bend going thru a mat. This isn't a factor, really with one mat if there is enough velocity. You should be thru the mat, before the long blade begins its energy recoil.........

Where this becomes a problem is with cutting mulitiple mats. With mulitple mats, and the longer trajectory "in the cut", that recoil can become a binding problem, particularly with a cutter {human being} that has a slow motion into the cut, and thru the cut.........Velocity is important for flexie longswords......... Rigidity is very important here........with multiple mats. This is where single edged swords really shine...... the double edged blade for the same thickness and width will not be as rigid as the single edged blade.

Now, as a quick design problem, if I was going to be dumb enough to design a sword inspired by the west's past to compete with a competion kat in cutting mats, I'd probably look at something like Albion's Sture, if double edged {hollow ground good for cutting grass, stiff spine}, but most likely something along the messer path.........
Just to clarify, the katana I referenced above (my straight one) doesn't have any of the characteristics of a "competition cutter."

It's very narrow (a little more than an inch wide along the monouchi), not too thin (about 0.25-0.3" thick at the base) and has a substantial amount of convexity along the blade bevel (niku). I was cutting single and half mats the whole time, and the longswords I used were all thinner, and many somewhat wider, than the katana.

I think my velocity was pretty high, and consistent across swords. Mike could tell you more objectively. The longswords all had thinner edges than my kat, which increases in thickness exponentially as you measure from the edge and go towards the spine. The euro swords I used were flat-beveled, with the exception of the Albion Earl, which is hollow-ground.

As I noted, I still felt that the katana was a lot easier to cut well with than the longswords... even the Earl, which is about as rigid. Can anyone hazard a guess as to why that might be the case? Or just explain it outright? I'd love to figure this out...
Andrew Lee wrote:
Or just explain it outright? I'd love to figure this out...

Who knows? Maybe the kat's the better sword for cutting..... Maybe its all subjective, like which car does better for whom........ Lots of things in life that defy explanation.........
Angus Trim wrote:
Andrew Lee wrote:
Or just explain it outright? I'd love to figure this out...

Who knows? Maybe the kat's the better sword for cutting..... Maybe its all subjective, like which car does better for whom........ Lots of things in life that defy explanation.........

One in theory could build a sword swinging machine that could be adjusted for speed and angle and a Katana and a longsword could be compared to each other taking away the human factor completely and standardizing the speed of the swords and angle of attack.

A bunch of sensors might give deceleration figures etc ......

But, and a BIG BUT ! All those random factors are the real world and such a " test " might only give some information about specific variables isolated one by one.

Now if I was rich and also was interested in swords it might be something I would fund out of curiosity: A physical simulator and maybe computer models based on the data: Might even find uses for the info designing cutting tools or other applications ?
This might be a little off topic but, in an episode of MythBusters: Grant, Tori and Kerry built a rig that was used to swing the sword in a horizontal motion, to see if a sword could cut through another swords' blade ( I think it was the ninja episode special).

But, I don't know if anyone has seen the rig that I'm talking about from MythBusters. I'd figure it would be a good place to start, to just see how to build a working rig. But, again that's me. :D
I recall one of the Schola St George symposia in San Francisco where some Japanese sword people set up a test cutting rig. Bob Charron did a sottani (rising) cut with the false edge, immediately followed by a mandritta (descending) with the true edge, neatly slicing off two sections of the rolled mat. One of the JSA people was heard to say that you couldn't do that with a katana.

Cheers
Stephen
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: