Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

A possible project platform ...
Sorry for the slight thread necro ... I just found this replica of the WWII knife: http://budk.com/Knives/Bowies-and-Daggers/Bow...onet-Knife

Could be a possible project platform for a knife similar to Sean's - the scales look to be affixed with Phillips screws, so could be removed and more period ones pinned ... not sure how accurate that guard would be for a medieval knife, or the quality of the steel, but for $12.98, it seems like a cheap platform to build from for those with the inclination ...

Attachment: 7.26 KB
German WWII clipped knife.jpg

Sean, did you ever end up completing this project?

And, as this thread seemed to become our unofficial tubular rivet thread, here's some images from a messer currently for sale on eBay:

Attachment: 245.19 KB
Messer-on-eBay-Aug-2014-1.gif

Attachment: 246.21 KB
Messer-on-eBay-Aug-2014-2.gif

Attachment: 245.68 KB
Messer-on-eBay-Aug-2014-3.gif

More ...

Attachment: 243.49 KB
Messer-on-eBay-Aug-2014-4.gif

Attachment: 245.26 KB
Messer-on-eBay-Aug-2014-5.gif

Attachment: 246.9 KB
Messer-on-eBay-Aug-2014-6.gif

I started this thread ten years ago this month. I set aside this project because I just didn't feel like my idea was strong enough. I'm happy to report that I did finally get an idea I liked, and finished the knife this week. I hope to have a sheath by the end of the year (THIS year, I mean--2017)

Attachment: 327.93 KB
[ Download ]
I must admit the knife is pretty cool! How long and heavy is it?
Very nice, indeed:) What wood did you use for the scales?
This is about 13" overall. Here's the original blade ($20 from Atlanta Cutlery): https://www.atlantacutlery.com/companion-blade

The scales are just poplar. I always have some of that lying around from scabbard projects.

The dark spots on the blade are stains and pitting from sitting around in a drawer for a decade.

Attachment: 159.61 KB
hand.jpg

progress on a sheath

Attachment: 258.72 KB
IMG_6076.JPG

That is awesome! I have a HUGE Ontario butcher knife I may give this treatment! :D .....McM
That's very nice ! I like that puuko-style scabbard...
Mark Moore wrote:
That is awesome! I have a HUGE Ontario butcher knife I may give this treatment! :D .....McM

I made a sheath of this medieval type for an Old Hickory butcher knife and it's still going strong after repeated and regular attempts to destroy it in camps--batoning, cooking, field craft, etc.

http://myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=310...ht=hickory

I love the suspension because it swings the knife out of the way in any activity, never jams into my ribs or thigh when working on the ground or hiking.

This thing is my constant companion when camping and hiking, and I've never had to do anything to the sheath since I made it (though i did turn the decoration into a dot-diamond type). I usually have to tap the rivets after batoning, but no problems with the blade, either.
Hmmm...I stand to correct myself! My knife is an Old Hickory, not an Ontario. I have a smaller one (8'' blade) that I use on a daily basis in the kitchen. Excellent steel, and super-sharp----I have the scars to prove it. :lol:
Good candidate? I told you it was a big'un. :D :lol: .....McM

Attachment: 37.91 KB
WIN_20180131_13_44_47_Pro.jpg

hellyeah! I have a few like that I want to rebuild as Bauernwehr, though they tend to be on the thin side.
Thin makes for a good bologna slicer. :lol: Here's my kitchen baby and it's own leather sheath. It's absolutely the sharpest knife I own...and as I said earlier...I have the scars to prove it. :lol: .....McM

Attachment: 44.42 KB
WIN_20180131_13_45_46_Pro.jpg

Attachment: 34.12 KB
WIN_20180131_13_46_03_Pro.jpg

Sorry for my B.S. photos...my screen-cam is all I have at the moment. :\ ....McM
Great knives, and incredibly tough.
Even if I'm more into the ancient "Nogent-style" or "Idéal-style" kitchen knives (as a French, it's legit I guess?), I must admit that the big one sure is badass!
I love it when that high carbon steel turns almost black. To me, that's a sign it's *the good stuff*. ;) ....McM
For only $20, I'd love to modify this one: http://www.crazycrow.com/hand-forged-carbon-s...blade-13in

Attachment: 12.66 KB
5450-005-002-900x900_540x540.jpg

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: