Hungarian Sword Identification
As a newbie here I also have a sword to identify. I have never seen it before.
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Fri 14 Dec, 2007 8:09 am; edited 2 times in total
Re: I Need to Identify Such Sword - Please Help
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
As a newbie here I also have a sword to identify. I have never seen it before.
[ Linked Image ]

Looks like the sabers used by the Mamluk. Not sure though.

M.
This sword is no Mameluke. Mameluke swords do not have thick blades. They have curved blades.

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Fri 14 Dec, 2007 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Hmm...looks like a Polish or Hungarian sword to me, but I don't know enough to say anything more than that. Seeing the breadth, it might also be an infantry hanger, although it might be a bit too long for that classification.

Anyone?

(Oh, BTW, wouldn't it be more appropriate to post a request for the identification of a different sword in a different topic? That way it may be able to gather more attention than when it's placed near the bottom of an old thread's page like this.)
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
(Oh, BTW, wouldn't it be more appropriate to post a request for the identification of a different sword in a different topic? That way it may be able to gather more attention than when it's placed near the bottom of an old thread's page like this.)

Done. It is generally best to start a new thread for things like this.
Hello Shahril,

It reminds me very much of a sword I posted to another thread here somewhere. I'm afraid I don't recall the exact context or title, or I would point the way to it. This sword is listed as a Hungarian headsman's sword.

http://h1.ripway.com/Bombadil/mA/hhss.jpg

Does your example show engravings at all on the blade? I am not certain of the exact period of either, nor certain if other areas of Europe would have similar examples but seeing your example posted reminded me of this one. I would place both to the second half of the 18th century but that is as good as my information on them is. I believe the other thread was about executioner's swords, or executions in general.

Cheers

GC(I'm lazy, or I would shrink that a bit)
Here are the engravings on that sword's blade (faintly visible).
[ Linked Image ]
Looks like a Hungarian infantry sword around late 1700 - early 1800.
Here is a hungarian sword from that period, has the same blade but different guard:
http://www.nagyhazi.hu/tetelek_tobb.php?id=65...mp;page=17
Here is a Grenadiers' sword dating from 1765 whose blade is similar to the one shown above:
[ Linked Image ]
Any opinions, everybody?

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sun 30 Dec, 2007 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Do you have a larger photo from the hilt?
Henrik, here's a photo of the hilt.
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Sun 30 Dec, 2007 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
It could be realy a hungarian sabre from the late 1700's. I got a picture of an almost identical sabre (hilt) in my books.
Howdy, Shahril.

Your sword is a Hungarian infantry officer's sabre, M1811, type II.

Nice find!
Re: Hungarian Sword Identification
Hal, thanks for informing me about that sword.
Good work!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: