Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword Help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robin M.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Sword Help         Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am coming to you in desperation. In a few months I am getting married to a man who is very proud of his Norse/Viking heritage. I decided to honor this by getting him the traditional Viking wedding gift of a sword.

The problem? I know NOTHING about this kind of stuff. Worried

I was hoping you all might be able to point me in the right direction and recommend a website/manufacturer. I would like to find him a traditional Viking style sword, and am looking to spend around $300.

Thanks so much for any advice/insight you can offer!
Dan Dickinson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Personally I would recommend (and have owned) the Albion Squire-Line Viking
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm
which at $389 is a little above your price range. However, it is an extremely nice sword for the price....very nicely balanced.
If that is too far above your price range I've heard that the Generation 2 Witham Viking sword and the Kris Cutlery Viking aren't too bad .....and both are below the $300 mark.
Hope this helps,
Dan

Maybe Mike Arledge will chime in....I think he has owned all 3 of the swords I mentioned.
Dan

also the reviews section of this site are a good place to start.....though I don't think any of the swords I've mentioned are featured there.

http://www.myArmoury.com/reviews.html
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sword Help         Reply with quote

Robin M. wrote:
Hello all,

I am coming to you in desperation. In a few months I am getting married to a man who is very proud of his Norse/Viking heritage. I decided to honor this by getting him the traditional Viking wedding gift of a sword.

The problem? I know NOTHING about this kind of stuff. Worried

I was hoping you all might be able to point me in the right direction and recommend a website/manufacturer. I would like to find him a traditional Viking style sword, and am looking to spend around $300.

Thanks so much for any advice/insight you can offer!

I'd like to second the Albion Squire Line Viking. While it is a bit higher than you wanted to pay, it is a far higher quality weapon than tthe other Viking swords you will find in that price range. I own the Squire Line Late 15th C. Bastard Sword by the same company, so I can attest to its quality, and the quality of Albions in general.

If you can afford a little bit more than that, one of the Squire Line Vinland, Gotland, or Clontarf viking swords is even nicer still, because of the fancier hilts. They are priced at $465. You can find them at http//:www.viking-shield.com, then click "Weapons" on the left hand side, and then Albion Mark Swords.

Last edited by Craig Peters on Mon 31 Dec, 2007 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, while it's not a sword, an axe might be a nice gift, and it's highly appropriate for someone from Scandanavian descent. Arms and Armor makes one based upon an original from circa 1000 AD, and it's well within your price range: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/pole024.html
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Robin,

I will second Craig's recommendation on the A&A Danish War Axe, I own one and it is great. If you really want to go for a sword go for the Albion Squire Line Viking- hands down. Don't mess with Generation 2 or Kris Cutlery- but that's just me.

Oh, and congratulations! I wish my wife bought me a weapon we we tied the knot!

Jeremy
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By all means if you can afford it, get the Albion(s) mentioned. I believe they will offer the best quality in their price range by far, the sub-300$ price range will sacrifice a good deal of the quality that can be had for just a little more with an Albion.
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Robin, and welcome to myArmoury.

A viking sword sounds like a remarkably considerate wedding gift. Happy $300 is a good entry-level price for functional and at least superficially accurate swords. I would however like to point out that some compromises will be made on swords at this price; addressing your request for "traditional" deserves some context.

Actual viking swords were forged by a technique called pattern-welding. Creating a steel billet large enough for sword manufacture was difficult at the time, so metal rods were twisted together to form a complete sword. This resulted in beautiful patterns on the blade surface. However, to replicate such techniques usually means expensive custom work. For instance, Patrick Bárta makes gorgeous work using traditional materials and methods; but his typical Viking swords will cost ~$2000 USD. That is actually a very good price for such quality.

So most swords near your range will not be 100% traditional. This is not a bad thing: with modern steels and manufacturing, they can significantly outperform traditional blades. However for $300 a balance will necessarily be struck between elaborateness of the fittings (inlays, carvings, etc.), quality of the steel and heat treatment, and accuracy of form.

For these reasons the Albion Swords "Squire Line" [entry-level] Viking Sword already suggested is a good choice, despite exceeding your budget. The highest priorities with this item are historical accuracy of form and physical dimensions, and quality of manufacture and heat treatment. The aesthetics may be very simple, but are handsome and completely within the realm of historic precedent.

http://www.viking-shield.com/ sells a variety of Viking-related arms, armour, and related. On their sword page you can find some Del Tin items. These range in price and appearance but are generally closer to your budget; in addition, some of them feature attractive (if not quite custom quality) hilt decorations. The main draw with Del Tin blades is that they are made for reenactors and theaters, so tend to be overbuilt (too heavy). They may not be as stringently accurate as the Albion in form and physical specifications but I'd still recommend checking them out if your budget cannot stretch to the Albion. myArmoury has a Review of the Del Tin 2102 Viking Sword available.

Good luck on your search; I look forward to seeing what myArmoury members better-versed in Vkiking history suggest, as well as your final choice. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage,

-Gabriel L.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________

Last edited by Gabriel Lebec on Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Actual viking swords were forged by a technique called pattern-welding. Creating a steel billet large enough for sword manufacture was difficult at the time, so metal rods were twisted together to form a complete sword. This resulted in beautiful patterns on the blade surface.

Actually, while many Viking swords were pattern-welded, mono-steel blades also existed. Happy

In addition to the swords already mentioned, you could try Windlass Steelcrafts/Museum Replicas. They have a number of Viking-inspired swords in your price range. Here are some links:

Generation 2 Viking sword (mentioned above): http://www.imperialweapons.com/swords/Reinhardt/IP-702.html

I personally don't think the Gen 2 looks as nice as some of the Windlass swords. it may be more durable, though.

Museum Replicas: http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/

Museum Replicas deals swords by Windlass Steelcrafts.

Another Windlass Dealer: http://kultofathena.com/

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Actually, while many Viking swords were pattern-welded, mono-steel blades also existed. Happy

You learn something every day. Laughing Out Loud This is just one reason why I'm on myArmoury -- to learn more about arms and armour outside of Japan. In other news, why don't we have a "foot-in-mouth" emoticon? Wink
Cheers,
-GLL

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
[

I might add, that in the last half of the centuries that the Danish formally recognize as "Viking Age", the primary vestige of earlier pattern welding were just inlays. Some surviving Ulfbert swords being good examples. "Speculation" that higher quality, later era, Viking weapons were likely imported from regions such as the lower Rhine (mono steels at this point) are repeated frequently in articles that I have read. Just speculation, but earlier sources of high quality mono-steel at 10th-11th century are known with certainty within a pretty precise region.

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Stirling Matheson

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Viking shield also has Armour Class blades. While I cannot speak for their viking weapons, their basket hilts are fantastic weapons, and I would be very surprised if their other blades were in any way inferior.
Fac et Spera
Moderator - www.swordwiki.org
P. Cha

PostPosted: Mon 31 Dec, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darksword makes a pretty nice looking viking sword if albions are too much.

http://www.armsofvalour.com/miva/merchant.mv?...y_Code=DSA

They don't come sharp though unless you pay extra for sharpening.
R D Moore

Reading list: 11 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi, Robin

Let me extend a welcome to you as well. You've come to an invaluable resource here at myArmoury. There's a thread on gripping and using a viking sword you may find helpful: Posted: Tue 19 Oct, 2004 8:49 am Post subject: Gripping and using a Viking sword. Using the search function you could type in "gripping and viking". Contributions to it were made by some very learned and experienced people. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword Help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic