Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > the "Maker's Mark" lineup Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: the "Maker's Mark" lineup         Reply with quote

Since I've been asked about this on another forum, I thought it might be a good idea to explain this. The swords that will fit in here, will be limited production. Ten pieces of each "model" is what the goal is, though I'll be flexible enough to go over 10 once in a while.

There will never be more than 20 "models" in the Maker's Mark lineup, and since there's a lot I want to explore here, they {the models} probably won't have a long expossure.... probably 12 to 18 months. Whether 10 have been sold or not......

Right now, the "Maker's Mark" has a 13th century theme, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.......

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jan, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Maker's Mark" lineup         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Since I've been asked about this on another forum, I thought it might be a good idea to explain this. The swords that will fit in here, will be limited production. Ten pieces of each "model" is what the goal is, though I'll be flexible enough to go over 10 once in a while.

There will never be more than 20 "models" in the Maker's Mark lineup, and since there's a lot I want to explore here, they {the models} probably won't have a long exposure.... probably 12 to 18 months. Whether 10 have been sold or not......

Right now, the "Maker's Mark" has a 13th century theme, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.......

Seems like a good plan to get away from the " mass production blues " i.e. the boredom factor of always making the same things. As well, a little flexibility about " numbers " is good and maybe you might consider that a " retired " model of sword might be available at any time after it's best before date if someone really REALLY wants one and is prepared to pay a bit more for the trouble of setting up for a one-off ? Just a suggestion.

I also think that a run of 10 per sword model should be enough for anyone seeing it to decide to buy before the end of the run. The previous case might be someone " coming late to the party " noticing an appealing sword months or years after the run is over.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Maker's Mark" lineup         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Angus Trim wrote:

There will never be more than 20 "models" in the Maker's Mark lineup, and since there's a lot I want to explore here, they {the models} probably won't have a long exposure.... probably 12 to 18 months. Whether 10 have been sold or not......

Seems like a good plan to get away from the " mass production blues " i.e. the boredom factor of always making the same things. As well, a little flexibility about " numbers " is good and maybe you might consider that a " retired " model of sword might be available at any time after it's best before date if someone really REALLY wants one and is prepared to pay a bit more for the trouble of setting up for a one-off ? Just a suggestion.

I also think that a run of 10 per sword model should be enough for anyone seeing it to decide to buy before the end of the run. The previous case might be someone " coming late to the party " noticing an appealing sword months or years after the run is over.

Hi Jean

I kinda talked your suggestion over with CF this morning, and I think he and I are agreed that doing singletons, after the fact, so to speak, probably isn't a good idea. Gus has a tendency to occassionally screw these things up, and the idea is that the post-reboot period is to keep the Auld Dawg out of trouble, not slide back in trouble.......

Maybe instead, have another CF "waiting list"..... and if enough folks were to sign on for one of the models, make another run of five or so........

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: the "Maker's Mark" lineup         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Hi Jean

I kinda talked your suggestion over with CF this morning, and I think he and I are agreed that doing singletons, after the fact, so to speak, probably isn't a good idea. Gus has a tendency to occasionally screw these things up, and the idea is that the post-reboot period is to keep the Auld Dawg out of trouble, not slide back in trouble.......

Maybe instead, have another CF "waiting list"..... and if enough folks were to sign on for one of the models, make another run of five or so........

A small run of 5 minimum rather than one offs seems like a good " tweener " solution and making sure that most " likely " buyers have a decent amount of time to make up their mind to buy one of the first run or sign up for an extended run maybe ?

An extended run might be something between the 10 originally planned or up to a maximum of 20 ? 20 being the limit I think otherwise the whole concept of short but varied runs would turn back into " standard " production line kind of thing.

Like you said, you do want to keep out of trouble. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud And the best way to get into trouble is to make things too complicated or make too many exceptions to the rule.

Good if you can be somewhat " flexible " but don't get bent out of shape " take a BAD set " ( Sorry: Couldn't resist a sword making related PUN Razz )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, to contradict everything I said before: There is an advantage to having limited runs with pre-set maximums in that it sort of forces potential clients to make up their minds ! If one can always get one later there is a " human " tendency to defer buying to some indeterminate " LATER " ! So, there should be some incentive to take advantage of the 10 sword run rather than take the chance that there are NO promises being made about later runs of the same sword !

Also, one can make new runs of similar types to satisfy the same need, maybe ?

I know that with the 1403 I bought it was a case of taking advantage of the " paying off the machinery sale " that got me to STOP putting it off and off and off to later. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > the "Maker's Mark" lineup
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic