Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Milton &Henry II shields from designs by Etienne Delaune Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 05 Jan, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: The Milton &Henry II shields from designs by Etienne Del         Reply with quote

I have been at this awhile and finally have a few items for sale. Some of you may have seen my previous postings on my parade armour reproductions. The objects are as close to the Museum pieces as humanly possible.
See listings
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,milton-shiel...58163.html
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,16th-century-shield,1558209.html
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,16th-century-shield,1558213.html
What do you all think about the pricing? I know the Milton is up there but it takes forever to make it.
We tried to price the Henry II shields within the reach of most collectors.
Feel free to ask questions. I can also send additional High Res Images.
Sam of Kings Armoury
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam, your shields look beautiful. As for your pricing question, the market for high-end production [url]swords[/url] seems to support similar price levels, so it is possible that parade shields can command those prices. But only time will tell.

Your site describes the production process like this:
Quote:
... Each piece is completely hand shaped, plated, polished and then numbered. This shield is a created on a per order basis. It is not cast or pressed, but electroformed over a weeks time atom by atom in copper and nickel silver....
I am having some difficulty visualizing your process. Can you provide some more explanation, preferably with some pictures? I would also be interested in seeing some additional views of the shields, showing the sides and backs of the pieces, to getter a better feel for the entire product, and not just the 'money' view.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My deepest congratulations.

Great products, really great.
Sam Haverkamp
Industry Professional

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jan, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Shields         Reply with quote

Bruno,
Thanks much. Its taken me a ton of work to get this right and I do appreciate the kind comments.
Steve,
In the 19th century Elkington perfected the use of Electrotyping to reproduce artifacts for Museums and the Royal Family. The process is complex but amounts to electro-depositing metal onto a DC current matrix much in the way plating is accomplished. It allows details to be created one metal ion at a time so there is zero loss or surface detail.
It is really the only viable way to pull something like this off. Lost wax Casting is too expensive and then you have the weight factor. Sand casting looks terrible and you still have the weight factor. The shields weigh in very close to the originals and the surface finish is really fine.
As far as the pictures being money shots, I suppose that is true! Besides the back is really boring compared to the front
( I do only get 4 pictures on there). Big Grin
I am trying to make some of my money back, setting this shop up was very expensive and each piece takes me a week to complete. We are working on appropriate cloth handles and will post some pics of the back when we get them done. For now there are just buckles for straps and a support at the top to hang them. They will have period correct handle position, wether people will use them or not remains to be seen.
Thanks Steve, BTW, I will not be posting pictures of the process just yet, I dont mean to be mysterious, the details are trade secrets for the time being. You will be able to find information about Electrotypes on the internet..
Sam

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Milton &Henry II shields from designs by Etienne Delaune
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic