Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bunch of new MRL items on their website Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Bunch of new MRL items on their website         Reply with quote

Hello all,

FYI,

Just was browsing the MRL website and saw quite of few new items I never saw before, including a quite nice looking new warhammer ( I likey, will need to pick up a few), hungarian sabre, italian short sword (looks pretty nice, I just love a nice short sword), german sword, "sword of Troy" (???), fantasy battle axe (looks like a great project axe for easy altering to a more historic form). Looks to be a few more interesting new pieces.

Perhaps some of our more techo-gifted members could zing in some pictures of these new offerings.

I am definately getting the warhammer.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like a they are also offering a new norman helmet- peaked and antiqued. I assume its their standard thin 18 gauge offering, but looks nice anyway.

I think they are offering another new sword called a Euro Bastard Sword, but no picture is up for it, but sounds interesting.

I do like the fact that MRL/Windlass does make the effort to come out with new pieces on a fairly regular basis. Given the price point of some items, they are tempting to pick up for use without guilt if they get a bit dinged-up. I can't wait to smash some melons with the warhammer!!

Cheers,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some of the new items:

(these are thumbnails only since the large images don't seem to be working at the moment)

Norman Helm

Warhammer:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad, I had a feeling you would be adding a few pics! Big Grin

The warhammer looks like it is very similar to A&A's very nice and historically accurate one. MRL's is not an exact copy, but quite close.

I have always loved A&A's version and have been hoping it would go on sale one of these months, to no avail. I think given the very reasonable price, I will get the MRL one to play around with. Perhaps I may get two, one for display and one for play that can get beat-up.

I didn't see these new items listed on Kult of Athena, so not sure if they can get them yet. Given all Bob Burns' positive experiences with KoA, I think I would like to deal with them if possible. May Bob knows if even the newest items are able to be obtained via KoA? Any info would be welcome Cool

Cheers,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That warhammer looks suspiciously like a beautiful warhammer by a fine Wisconsonian manufacturer, but for a far more palatable price.... Wink
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy actually did a very thorough review of the the A&A warhammer which I recall is based on a piece in the Wallace collection. His review has many pictures from various angles to compare to the MRL piece.

From the pictures they would appear to look well displayed together, although it is probably a given the the fit and finish of MRL piece would suffer from a head to head (hammer-head that is Wink ) comparison!

Cheers,

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
That warhammer looks suspiciously like a beautiful warhammer by a fine Wisconsonian manufacturer, but for a far more palatable price.... Wink

Which manufacturer? Albion, the Wisconsin maker who jumps to mind, doesn't make polearms. A&A is based out of Minnesota, the next state over.

Happy

ChadA

Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Correction: That warhammer looks suspiciously like a beautiful warhammer by a fine Minnesotan manufacturer, but for a far more palatable price.... Laughing Out Loud
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
Correction: That warhammer looks suspiciously like a beautiful warhammer by a fine Minnesotan manufacturer, but for a far more palatable price.... Laughing Out Loud

Ah, that clears up the maker confusion. I'm not conviced they two hammers are both based on the Wallace Collection hammer, though. The hammer head of the MRL version is square, where that on the A&A and Wallace hammers is diamond-shaped. The MRL version also lacks the scalloped edges of the hammer face and the diamond protrusion at its center. The top, side, and back spikes of the MRL are different in shape/size and the langets on the MRL version are much longer. It may be based off something else.

It's still pretty attractive for the price, though the old German warhammer (which lacks the side and top spikes) is, too, and is much cheaper (though they've been trying to discontinue it for a while).

Happy

ChadA

Julian Arellano

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jan, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hmmm and there's a similar sword to the A&A 15th cent. two handed sword .. the MRL is the English two-hand sword .. .different pommel but similar style and measures .
seems pretty nice and that long blade seems rigid ( I pray for it ) .. i think in a month i will buy it and i'll review it ..by the way .. somebody knows something about their Erbach sword???

“I came, I saw, God conquered"
David Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Huh, that "Sword of Troy" bears a bit of resemblance to the Rittersteel "Trojan Sword", and the earlier CASI "Trojan Sword"....
(I have an older Rittersteel Trojan. It's actually a neat little sword. Mine has a pommel that looks like Pac-Man. No, really....)

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, the sword of Troy looks neat, and like that old Ritter Steel one. But I bet its a lot lighter having a wood hilt as opposed to the brass one on the Ritter Steel piece. I had missed it the first time though, so thanks for the head's up!
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
David Donovan

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, I've got my eye on that Italian Short Sword... I wish they had bigger pictures on the site. Has there been a new print catalogue with these items? I might have missed it. Confused
"Do something meaningful in this meaningless world."
Takasugi Shinsaku (1839-1867)
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: New MRL items         Reply with quote

David,

I like the look of that Italian short sword, too. It is on the back page of the most recent catalog, but the picture is also kind of small. The thing I wonder about is the execution of the wire wrapped grip. I hope to see one in hand when I visit MRL in early April. Happy

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
David Donovan

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, well if no one else has handled one or put up any photos by then, you'll have to give us your impressions.

Hopefully Kult of Athena or one of the other dealer sites will put some pictures up. They usually show the items from different angles than the MRL catalogue and get some good close-ups of the details.

"Do something meaningful in this meaningless world."
Takasugi Shinsaku (1839-1867)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the new warhammer didn't have flat-head screws holding the haft on, it would be pretty tempting.
Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
If the new warhammer didn't have flat-head screws holding the haft on, it would be pretty tempting.

Well, I'm not tempted but that is only because I already have the A & A warhammer. Razz

But as a more " useful " comment I would suggest that one could remove the machine screws and replace them with nails made to look handmade.

I would use slightly oversized nails and epoxy them in as well as having them big enough to be tight fitting: I don't mind cheating with modern adhesives as long as the external look is better.

I'm not an authenticity purist but modern machine screw heads should be not seen and should be modified or replaced to hide their modern nature.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Randy W

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amen Jean, it's a shame they didn't do that themselves, the cost would have been negligible at best and the look would have been deanatically improved
Randy Westgate
Terry Crain

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, it is pretty simple to remove the screws and replace with nails which could be peened over on one side, opposite the nail head. I believe Sean A. Flynt has used this technique on quite a few projects with much success. I am going to try give it a try!

Terry

Terry Crain
A/K/A
Donal Grant

Honor, not Honors!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jan, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm sure replacing the screws would be simple to do, but it's beyond the effort I'm personally willing to invest in it. Happy

Part of me wonders if the pictures are of the prototype, which may have been made with screws so it could be disassembled for study and to be copied into production. I don't think any of their other polearms have ugly screws like that.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bunch of new MRL items on their website
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: