European Bladed Gurade
What is a gurade? A gurade is a sword of Ethiopian origin with a long, curved blade joined to an I-shaped hilt. It is related to the Arabian scimitar and what I have here is a gurade with a European blade joined to a D-shaped hilt. Plus there are Amharic inscriptions on its blade.
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Tue 05 Feb, 2008 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wait. If it has a European blade and a D-hilt rather then the I-hilt... how is it a gurade? :wtf:
This looks to me to be simply a 19th century European sabre with Arabic inscriptions on the blade. :confused:
Searching "gurade" on Google yielded me this result.

Admittedly, the blades show strong similarities in shape and markings. Did the Ethiopians perhaps import European blades for their swords?
European Bladed Gurade
Anders, the sword I posted earlier is a gurade. Some gurades have been fitted into varying hilts. That one was perhaps used by the modern-day Ethiopian Army before it was replaced by European-style dress swords.
Even Wilkinson Sword sold blades to Abyssinia (Ethiopia) for native weapons.

Jonathan
Re: European Bladed Gurade
Shahril Dzulkifli wrote:
Anders, the sword I posted earlier is a gurade. Some gurades have been fitted into varying hilts. That one was perhaps used by the modern-day Ethiopian Army before it was replaced by European-style dress swords.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't questioning the authenticity. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind the classification.
Re: European Bladed Gurade
Here is the detail of the gurade's hilt. Note the Lion of Judah.
[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Shahril Dzulkifli on Tue 05 Feb, 2008 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
[quote="Jonathan Hopkins"]Even Wilkinson Sword sold blades to Abyssinia (Ethiopia) for native weapons.

I have what I believe is one of the Wilkinson Swords you mention. I purchased it in Addis Ababa around 1976.

Do you have more info about these?

Mine has a Wilkinson Sword engraving on the blade and a primitive bone handle. I have a leather sheath.

On a lark, I decided to do a bit of research on it this evening and came across your post.

Dan
I don't have any more information than is listed in the thread at Sword Forum. If you post your query in that thread, or start a new one, I am sure that you will get a good response.

Best of luck,
Jonathan

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: