Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Jeremy has a new toy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

An interesting thing is happening to one section of the copper inlay on this seax. The lowest line of the decoration that lies between one line of silver and the wrought iron blade is turning deep red in some places and changing over to a bright purple! Looks kind of weird but in an unexpected way- not a bad way. I have seen pennies turn purple/blueish before but this is the first copper inlay I have seen do this.

I have some copper inlay on a sword that just gets dull looking with time, exactly like the tarnish that develops on pennies.

Have other seen this happen? I like the effect so I don't think that I am going to de-tarnish it- I want to see how vibrant this color will get. It's quite a nice effect really.

Jeremy
Ville Vinje

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is most likely a result of the copper reacting with the leather sheat
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Ville!

I considered this. I guess there is no problem with this occurring or is there? Could this over time break down the cooper and effect the inlay so that it is less secure?

Jeremy
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It might miscolor the copper a bit (but this can be reversed) and over time the leather acid might start to corrode the steal (it starts as small dark dots). It is best not to store the seax in the sheat when not using it. Make sure to oil the seax from time to time.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Wed 19 Mar, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Ville,

This is interesting in that I have heard some say that it is okay to store your blades in a leather sheath, and some that have concerns about the leather effecting the steel or in this case wrought iron and steel. I asked Tod this question and he felt that it was okay to store this seax in it's sheath with periodic oiling. He did tell me that sterling silver is not good to be in contact with leather for extended periods of time- but my seax incorporates pure silver so this was not a concern.

I wonder- How do folks keep there blades? Does anyone know anything specific about wrought iron versus steel respective to storage?

Jeremy
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 20 Mar, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hi Ville,

This is interesting in that I have heard some say that it is okay to store your blades in a leather sheath, and some that have concerns about the leather effecting the steel or in this case wrought iron and steel. I asked Tod this question and he felt that it was okay to store this seax in it's sheath with periodic oiling. He did tell me that sterling silver is not good to be in contact with leather for extended periods of time- but my seax incorporates pure silver so this was not a concern.

I wonder- How do folks keep there blades? Does anyone know anything specific about wrought iron versus steel respective to storage?

Jeremy

I know that at least some sax sheats had wooden inserts, which keeps the blade from contact with the leather. I haven't been able to verify with certainty if the found broken back sheats had leather inserts too, but from the shape it seems quite likely they had it too. I've found myself that bronze turns green when in contact with veg tanned leather, sometimes within hours. So this could potentially happen to the inlays on your sax as well. So I'd keep it outside the scabbard. That way you can also keep looking at the beautiful blade Happy
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Then I will err on the side of caution and keep the blade outside of the sheath. Though to me it looks so nice in it.

Thanks everyone!
Jeremy
G Ezell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hello everyone,

An interesting thing is happening to one section of the copper inlay on this seax. The lowest line of the decoration that lies between one line of silver and the wrought iron blade is turning deep red in some places and changing over to a bright purple! Looks kind of weird but in an unexpected way- not a bad way. I have seen pennies turn purple/blueish before but this is the first copper inlay I have seen do this.

I have some copper inlay on a sword that just gets dull looking with time, exactly like the tarnish that develops on pennies.

Have other seen this happen? I like the effect so I don't think that I am going to de-tarnish it- I want to see how vibrant this color will get. It's quite a nice effect really.

Jeremy

I think you are OK on the reddish-purple tarnish, it is usually harmless to the copper. The thing you will want to watch for is a greenish-blue 'fuzzy' looking oxide, as this stuff is quite poisonous and will eat into the copper, causing pits and possibly loosening the inlay. Oil or wax on the blade will help to keep this from occurring, and it is probably a good idea to store it outside the sheath, just in case.

Again, that is a beautiful piece. In time the steel will darken and the inlay tarnish, but this will likely make it look broke in, more like it has been taken on campaign a few times than like it has been neglected. When I first saw this piece I couldn't help but wonder what it would look like after a few years of use. I wonder if the originals were possibly darkened so the inlay would have more contrast to the steel/iron. In time, with use, this would happen anyway, as several knives in my kitchen will attest. As long as it is kept in check, and no real surface rust allowed to form, it, to me, only enhances the beauty of the piece.
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree- and pieces incorporating more than one metal add a special dynamic to this natural process. Employing historic finishes with more or less historical materials is something I definitely want to have and expand upon in my humble collection.

Jeremy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Jeremy has a new toy
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: